PDA

View Full Version : RC Racing On Tv

FLYBOY7
06-20-2000, 11:35 PM
Is there any tv coverage of rc racing??
If Espn2 can cover a pokeman card contest, paintball, and other small "sports"... then they can cover rc racing....

------------------

FLYBOY7

RC10-B2

Gt_Fanatic
06-21-2000, 12:50 AM
I believe the same thign also. I also believe that we should just bomb Espn with tons of emails saying cover R/C racing.

------------------
I'm offering free car washes to clean off the dirt from your cars that are getting from being behind my GT.

ChazMan
06-21-2000, 01:11 AM
haha....I like your saying. Your very curtious.

Anyway...I think it is a good idea. I bet they, like a lot of people, don't relize what a big sport R/C car racing really is. If we sent them some e-mails telling them about it they might just get curious. You never know!

ChazMan

~Just Remember, Wheel Side Down~

[This message has been edited by ChazMan (edited 06-21-2000).]

FLYBOY7
06-21-2000, 04:48 PM
That makes sense that they need title sponsors to put a sport on tv.... So then you think who are the largest rc car makers?? Probably Tyco, or Nikko... or whatever they sell in wal-mart....
You see commercials on tv pretty often advertising a new "super jump and roll over" rc car from Tyco.... But it really wouldn't do a large mass producer like Tyco any good to sponsor a major rc race..... I mean it's not like their cars would even make the A main, it would be full of Associated and Losi cars....
So that leaves you to wonder if Associated or Losi would have enough money to do a tv title sponsorship.... They both sell a ton of cars and trucks.... but would it be worth it to them to get all that tv air time??? Well i think if it's worth it to some little paintball or billards company.... then it would probably be worth it to a "real" rc car manufacturer......
Just my 2 cents http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

FLYBOY7
RC10-B2

"you can never have enough fun, friends, or Horsepower!"

Gt_Fanatic
06-21-2000, 05:02 PM
I bet that any RC Car maker (Associated, Losi, Kyosho, Traxxas, etc.) would love to put out ads on the tele. This not only will get rc car racing reconized but i bet it will also boost sells. Examine if the T-Maxx had a commerical. You wouldn't be able to find one anywhere.

------------------
I'm offering free car washes to clean off the dirt from your cars that are getting from being behind my GT.

mavrick0611
06-21-2000, 08:48 PM
ya good point. every one at my school thinks there little toys. i saw one of the class mates on the street one day and i was running my nitro rustler. and he wants to by a traxxas electric 4-tec now!! just imagine a t-maxx commerial with it doing a 21 foot jump!! use some peoples vids they send in on maxxtraxx.com imagine how fast they would fly off the hobby stores shelf!!

Rustler
06-22-2000, 12:06 AM
There already is an RC racing show it's on PBS go to there there website for times. It is a 30 min. show.

------------------
I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.-T-Maxx

Gt_Fanatic
06-22-2000, 12:23 AM
Not everyone gets that show. I used to but i don't anymore. But ESPN is the bigtime and that is where RC car racing is.

------------------

Greg_Hager
06-22-2000, 12:32 AM
I have called them (lost the number sorry http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/frown.gif ) but they said, and I quote "We would love to, but we need sponsors, items to sell during the commercials, etc." I felt like going off. But i didnt. They show the "Women's Pool Championships". Them make me mad sometimes... http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/mad.gif

------------------
Greg Hager
DuraTrax Maximum ST

Taillight City, aint it pretty? :D

The WVRC Club (http://www.angelfire.com/wv/rcclub)

KITT
06-22-2000, 05:20 PM
ESPN is a bunch of **** , c'mon now who wants to watch a "pokemon playing card tournament" http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/confused.gif http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/tongue.gif. that's as much of a sport as kanasta. and who would sponsor it? nintendo? toy makers?. you know who you should talk to is TNN they cover that kind of stuff in racing. maybe they'll put a spot on horse power TV or something for starters and then broadcast events. you could talk to AE, losi, kyosho, tamiya america we as in we, us could organize a broadcasted event ourselves we'd just have to get some reknowned racers and then the big sponsors will follow then once we have sponsors, racers, and a following then we pitch it to TV networks.

------------------
http://karrnet.freeservers.com/Karr1.gif

80's
monster trucks
girls

dlwill1@pacbell.net

T-MAXX
06-25-2000, 05:01 PM
HAHAHAHA a few weeks ago i saw a spelling bee on ESPN or ESPN2 not sure witch. Anyway If a spelling bee can be covered and a pokemon tournament then hell why not a major race.

-----------------------------------
I came, I saw, I ran over your car!

Simon SuperHornet
06-27-2000, 09:32 PM
I also think this is a fab idea , try and get tamiya or any of the other RC producers to sponser the shows I am sure they would consider it at any rate . I also agree thet people in general have no idea of how popular or how low cost this sport really is in general terms - hot up excluded . I am sure with TV coverage it could be a lot better .

------------------

deekortiz
08-30-2003, 12:23 AM
this seems like a cool idea

ttt

maybe we can all set a day and email a few cable channels about showing rc races if we send alot of email to differnt cable channels maybe one will think its a good idea anyone wanna help

RSD
08-30-2003, 12:39 AM
whats the pbs channel or the name of the show on pbs?
anyone?

Krasi_5000
08-30-2003, 12:45 AM
hey, i agree with KITT i think they should put stuff about rc's on spike tv somewere in the car shows.

i think about 4months ago i say a car show and they had 2 nitros racing around the shop i dont recall but i think they were ST's cause they were doing a little jump.

NV529
08-30-2003, 01:07 AM
I'm all for it. so whats the plan guys?

TheSilverFox
08-30-2003, 01:15 AM
Ugh...Tyco or Nikko sponsoring a race.

Half the cars would interfere & there'd have to be 4-6 hour charge breaks *shudders*

deekortiz
08-30-2003, 01:45 AM
lets see who many people we can get to email and then we will see when we should email them

bizaare69
08-30-2003, 02:38 AM
ya i seen this show on tv once it had this guy who had two nitros and he raced them in a parking lot and showed some neat stuff but this was before i got into rc but it sparked a bit of an interest ill search the web and see what i can find. i dont know if i really want rc to become popular it would be like some of the companys would sell out and i need parts i guess thats being selfish its seems like some of the compays do it for the love of the hobby??????????

bizaare69
08-30-2003, 02:49 AM
i found a sit the show is called r/c Tv im not sure if the show still airs on pbs the website game me a bad gateway try it for yourself its www.rctv1.com (http://www.rctv1.com)
im thinking its not airing anymore and look at these vidshttp://www.snowbirdnationals.com/rctv.htm

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Kermit
08-30-2003, 06:33 AM
Tamiya has a huge market in Japan and they do have a tv show, but here in the US their market is much smaller.

Kenny T
08-30-2003, 07:25 AM
I remember getting up at 7:00am on Sunday to watch the RC racing when I was in Japan, I was only a little kid then but it was still fun to watch, and that's probably what got me started in RC when I saw a proper hobby class RC at a garage sale 8 years later.

3xs
08-30-2003, 08:10 AM
The snowbirds would be a great race for RC coverage 800+ drivers I mean c'mon it could be the X games of RC.

ApriliaRacer
08-30-2003, 11:55 AM
While I totally agree. If they can have pool, poker, and spelling bees on TV, why not RC Cars?

I think there are several problems to overcome;

I think someone hit one of the major problems on the head, RC Cars are seen as "toys".

Even though "we" feel RC is pretty big, it really isn't. I believe this is very "regional". Just look at the number of tracks, the size of the crowds during a raceday. I think maybe back in the late 80s to early 90s would have been a prime time for RC, but just based on the size of the crowds that I see at my local track shows that there isn't that big of interest in even running RC cars. Back in the mid-80s and early 90s, regardless if it was summer or winter, there would always be enough racers to produce A, B, and C mains in the stock and modified buggy and truck classes. There was also always a 4WD class as well. Currently, We may have down to C main in the buggy class, but thats it. Not even enough cars for a 4WD class or mod truck class. My point being, outside of the "core" group of RC car drivers, there really isn't an interest by the general public.

There are too many categories of RC Cars. What I mean by this is; What would you cover? On-road gas, On-road electric, Electric off-road, Nitro-offroad? Racing? Monster Truck bashing? Interest has been so spread out I think it would be difficult to have a show that people would be interested in. As an example, I like off-road racing whether gas or electric, but my interest in on-road or monster trucks isn't there. So, if the show focused on these areas, I'm not inclined to watch.

I understand the desire, but all I have to do is look at one of other favorite activites, Motorcycle RoadRacing. IMO, there is or seems to be a large interest in Sportbikes and Motorcycle Racing. Speedvision had Two-wheeled Tuesdays. One would think with all the sportbikes out there, this show would have been highly rated, but it wasn't. Very small viewership. Sure my race buddies and I would all watch, but that seemed to be the only group. The average sportbike owner rarely turned on the show, forcing the eventual decrease in the format of the show.

Just my .02

Grizzbob
08-30-2003, 02:34 PM
AprilliaRacer is right, there are a number of things that keep networks away from televising R/C races. Some of them he already pointed out, & another is money. All those other things on ESPN(like poker, spelling bees, billiards, etc.) had some group paying ESPN some big bucks to do the coverage, otherwise they wouldn't even consider it. Even several outo racing series have to pay the networks to cover them(NASCAR & Formula 1 are about the only ones that have networks paying them for the right to cover races), & I don't know if any major R/C manufacturer would be willing to pony up the cash. Also, I know that we have tried email campaigns before, & as expected, it had no impact at all(just got a generic form letter from the network thanking us for our input, but no real interest shown). I don't mean to discourage anyone, but I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for R/C coverage on that scale on TV....

3Nracer
08-30-2003, 02:53 PM
I think if RC was on TV, it would become too popular and there will be a bunch of little kids that will get excited about RC and theyll get bored of it in a few months. It would proably be a fad and when I tell someone that I'm into RC theyll say "YOU"RE STILL INTO THAT STUFF?! WHAT A LOSER" and that would be pretty annoying considering I was into it before it was popular. Well that's my idea of what would happen if RC was on TV

Ferrari
08-30-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 3Nracer
I think if RC was on TV, it would become too popular and there will be a bunch of little kids that will get excited about RC and theyll get bored of it in a few months. It would proably be a fad and when I tell someone that I'm into RC theyll say "YOU"RE STILL INTO THAT STUFF?! WHAT A LOSER" and that would be pretty annoying considering I was into it before it was popular. Well that's my idea of what would happen if RC was on TV
THATS TRUE...
But i want to see an RC tv program :(

Why donīt we think in an specific channel them someone put the e-mail of that channel Them we send A LOT............................. OF E-MAILS???? :p

Lets make a list of channels that would be interest in put an RC Program???
- ESPN
- Speed
- :confused:

trickedoutGT
08-30-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Ferrari
- ESPN
- Speed
- :confused:

-PBS
-Discovery Channel

Performance RC
08-30-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm sure Tech T.V would. After all. They have all the robot wars and stuff.

trickedoutGT
08-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Performance RC
I'm sure Tech T.V would. After all. They have all the robot wars and stuff. Hmm...my Uncle works for Tech T.V. He's an accountant though.

Dirt-Basher03
08-30-2003, 10:15 PM
I'm sure tech tv would do it. They will show anything electronic. I saw a segment on rc cars on a fresh gear episode on tech. We just need to send them some emails.

gattm99
08-30-2003, 11:37 PM
Traditional racing coverage of RC won't work and here is why

RC racing just would be really difficult to capture on camera. I've watched race videos before and found then usually really boring because the cars are only a few pixels on the screen. The camera would need to really zoom into a car to see it. The more zoom teh more sensitive the camera, the camera operateor could probably only be able to follow the cars around the track a few times before he passed out. Onboard cameras would be cool but who would want theweight disadvantage.

The types of psuedo sports people are whining about that ESPN2 covers have one major difference, they have a great deal of money behind them becasue they are more mainstream. Condider how many people have played pool in their life and compare that to the number people who have raced an RC car. I think of that kind of coverage less as journalism and more as a long infomercial.

The Irony of it is that most every kid has had a toy RC car of some type, and after charging a battery overnight to get 5 minutes of runtime it's no wonder why they never progress beyond teh toy stage.

I think the type of TV coverage that would be more succesful would be more like a general hobby show on ESPN 2, more sponsors, it could have Air, Land, Water RC, Trains, static models, all kinds of stuff

fuzzy2133
08-31-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by 3Nracer

I feel you'r pain. I remember snowboarding befor it was popular and now it is no fun. when people found out I snow board, they wanted to know what tricks I could do and would blow me off when I told them that I just like to cruze down the hill and through some powder along the way.

I am just glad that water skiing is hard enough to keep most people away from it.

So I am selfish, keep our hobby/sport to the select few who enjoy and apperciate it.

rcguy2477
08-31-2003, 01:19 PM
Rc does need some coverage, but not too much. We need just enough so people know what rc racing really is. Whenever i tell people i race rc cars, theyre like "You race those little toy cars that go 5mph", or "i have a couple of those, mine squirts water at people". And plus, i would like to watch rc racing, to get some tips.

Performance RC
08-31-2003, 03:13 PM
Yeah, just like some of the major events. RC car action should have their own channel:p .

3xs
08-31-2003, 04:22 PM
A segment on Tech TV might just be the ticket.they could cover all different facets of RC and have event coverage as well IE:snowbirds.

deekortiz
08-31-2003, 08:13 PM
ATTENTION PLEASE READ

okay i have started a post on the tech tv message boards for programming tech tv reads there message boards reply to the post and tell them why they should cover races and maybe do a full show heres a link to the post

http://cgi.techtv.com/messageboards?action=whole_thread_view&board_id=21&topic_id=26&thread_id=1704240

everyone please post

RSD
09-01-2003, 03:35 PM
thats a great idea deekortiz
anyone know i techtv comes on in canada?

bloodwolff
09-01-2003, 04:16 PM
here is an idea someone might want to consider too..... how abought getting someone to do a show online? it would reach alot more people that way. and it could be watched at any time of the day. there are some of us that would like to see this show that don't get the premium channels like tech tv. just my 2cents.

Stelli
09-02-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by RSD
thats a great idea deekortiz
anyone know i techtv comes on in canada?

I get it on satellite

RSD
09-03-2003, 12:11 AM
damnit:mad:
i just have normal cable right now:(

hpiguy
09-03-2003, 02:07 AM
Don't any of you get DIY (do it yourself) network or the Outdoor Network?

BOTH of these channels have full time weekly R/C show.

http://www.diynet.com/DIY/show/0,1329,RCH,FF.html can tell you about their show "Radio Control Hobbies" with the ex-editor of RCCA magazine hosting.

And www.insiderc.com can tell you all abut season two of their show on the Outdoor Channel called "Inside R/C".

If you get Tech tV, you should be getting one, if not both of these networks.

NitroBoy24
09-03-2003, 06:01 PM
I can already tell you that rc racing on TV WILL NOT work. No one wants to see a bunch of trucks going around a course and definitely not a bunch of cars since trucks can get air off jumps, crash, etc.
What we need is footage of stuff like off slapmafro.com or the xxx main videos. People like to see big air and big crashes (why do you think everyone watches Nascar?). Ive seen the do it yourself channels rc stuff and thats pretty cool, but we only have cable and I saw it at my friends who has digital cable. The show would have to have a lot of jumping and some crashes, tech tips, and then throw in racing footage for a few minutes.(I myself think watching s/t racing is boring, you have to do it yourself to have fun...).
I didnt mean to offend on road racers by saying itll be boring to the general public, or racers in general but it most likely will. Im just going off what people that dont do rc woud want to see to get them interested (like goin off huge jumps, etc). Of course if they got some footage of onroad cars haulin butt down a straigtaway thatd be cool. Basically the show would have to show all the non rc'ers that these arent your little radio shack toys and can actually do something cool besides shoot water at people...Just my .02 cents

FLYBOY7
09-03-2003, 06:50 PM
i can't beleive this 3 year old thread is still around... LOL...

nitroboy.... have you ever watched a classic Kinwald, Francis, Pavidis battle before?? trust me.... it IS exciting to watch... very...

is r/c racing impossible to capture on tv?? not at all..... certainly, it's much harder than mx... but it's not impossible...

it's hard to explain to the throngs of short sighted r/c geeks... but local racing sucks.... why?? because attendance is so low... MOST (not all) tracks barely get 10 entries a class... and within those 10 entries, there is a wide range of speed of the drivers.... this makes for less than ideal racing, which results in keeping turnouts low....

now..... big time tv coverage of the nats would help gets tons of new racers... good for all the manufactures.... good for the image of our sport.... good all around....

the shows currently on tv showcase how good a new servo works in a t-maxx..... huge dork factor....

nat racing coverage will show how hi-zoot r/c racing is, how hi-tech the race teams are, and how incredibly skilled the top drivers are.... ie- how serious r/c racing can be... very high on the cool scale, very low on the dork factor...

if people are looking for high dork factor.. they can find it at their nearest radio shack....

if they are looking for esoteric r/c.... they will look for their nearest AE, Losi, X-ray, Kyosho ect ect dealer.... (the brands winning the big races on tv every weekend)

Deviant
09-04-2003, 11:05 AM
I can forsee a load of spin-off ideas to keep a TV show intresting...

R/C Free style - Off Road trucks compete on some sort of "street" course (like BMX Street) doing jumps etc, I'm sure with a lot of practice its possible.

Synchronised R/C - Formation driving ;)

Half pipe style competitions

Long Jumps

High Jumps

1/4 mile (scaled down ;))

Demolition Derby

wheelie contests

Drifting perhaps (don't flame me!!)

Anyone else think of some ideas?

lumburg54
09-04-2003, 11:21 AM
It would be neat t o cover races but as soon as you get larger exposure the tree huggers will swarm to it and complain about the exhaust ruining the ozone.

Then we run them over.

Dino451
09-05-2003, 02:22 AM
I like that free style idea and drag races. Rally courses with scaled down obstacles would be cool.

Ferrari
09-06-2003, 01:15 AM
the ideas of Deviant are good :) :cool: