PDA

View Full Version : what every can we do folks?

COLIN
10-17-2000, 01:23 PM
As hobiests whats the single most important thing w can do to really make this sport fly?
This is of course up for discussion.

Zed
10-17-2000, 02:32 PM
Iíve been into for about a month now, and only got into it because a friend was interested in R/C Boats and we stopped at the local hobby shop/track. Of course they didnít have any boats but the off-road nitro trucks interested me. I was always interested in what when on in the place, but it didnít seem very inviting, being basically a tin building with very little signage out front, and I expected the people to be elite R/C folk. I regret not getting involved earlier, but now that I have, both my son and I are down at the track about every day with our truck. Not only do we enjoy the sport, weíve found the people to be very pleasant. Last Sunday was my 2nd race, and I'm amazed at how many people have come up to us to give tips, compliments, and welcome us to the sport.

Obvious to make this sport fly, more people need to get involved. And I would have to say that the single most important way to do this is to somehow promote it as not necessarily an elite sport but a family one as well.

And of course it beats the best realistic video game out there.

Zed

Top End
10-17-2000, 05:55 PM
I agree with Zed, I always enjoy it when people not involved with the sport ask me a bunch of questions about my cars and equipment. I have even seen some of the people who used to hang around just watching, racing their own stuff a few weeks later.

Also, I think it is important for all the racers at the track to act mature, nothing upsets me more than "adults" who throw temper tantrums, yell at the turn-marshalls, throw their cars around and yell profanity at the top of their lungs. Nothing like a display like that to help promote the hobby!

highguy31
10-17-2000, 06:04 PM
The best way to promote the hobby in my eyes is to make a TV show on r/c bots, planes, cars, etc... But that would be hard to start up. If someone knows about r/c and has the equipment then they should try it out.

Flying Trucks
10-17-2000, 06:54 PM
I think the TV show would be good and if they could have races televised on espn then many people would see how fast they go and would want to get one. Big companies like losi and traxxas, hpi, duratrax, and team associated. They have plenty of our money to pay for the tv broadcast price and such things. What about that?

Nitro 4-tec Joe
10-17-2000, 07:39 PM
this hobby is definitely great and its definitely getting bigger by the minute. the problem is too many people think its nothing but just little toys r us and radioshacks running around a track. thats totally untrue. other people say it is a big waste of time and money. theyre just jealous. one good way is to take your r/c to a park or field where there is a good number of people most of the time. that always works for people. and i totally agree with zed. a show would also be awesome. lets all write a bunch of emails to big companies asking them to sponsor a tv show

2fast4u
10-17-2000, 08:27 PM
i think a lot of people are going about this the wrong way YOU CAN'T GET A TV SHOW IF PEOPLE AREN'T INTERESTED

(1)put tracks in busy areas NOT INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES

(2) can you say RENTA CAR!!!

(3) publicity more hobby shows? poster advertizing "family fun"?

Orange Pedeanaut
10-17-2000, 10:15 PM
hey my friend wanted to buy a Radio shack car for Christmas. I said dont and showed him my Pede. He said that it was a waste of money to buy something like that. I said that in the long run 1 pede is better than 5 radio shacks and will be cheaper. I think they should have ads for Rcca mag on shows too. They will sell more issues and have more money for a hint hint thicker mag.(its big enough but hey 1 book a month http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/smile.gif) I need to buy that Car and Driver some dude talked about that had section about rcs. Im glad some other mags besides rc are showing some brains...Nick http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Pedeanaut owner, designer, builder, etc.

FLYBOY7
10-17-2000, 11:50 PM
call me a real visionary.....

the first major problem we have is simply not enough people in the sport... how do we cure that????

it is up to us, the regular RC guys to do it ourselves... here's a couple ideas....

1. once a week, take your RC out and practice it in a pretty busy area... a wal-mart parking lot, a public park, after school ect... and once a crowd developes (and it will!!) bite the bullet and let the newbies take your car for a spin a couple laps... nothing will hook them quicker than that.....

2. after you get a nibble, don't be afraid to spew out the address and phone number of your LHS, with the name of the best salesperson in the place....

3. leave old RCCA mags laying around everywhere.... for example leave them in the lunch room at school, at the airport, or accidently leave a couple at your buddies house... i got into this sport simply by picking up an RCCA mag off the rack one day.... RCCA is a great embasitor to our sport....

i have a big problem with the way RC races are held.... i have raced many other forms of motorsports, and RC racing is by far the worst format, and the least newbie friendly.... so here are a few things i would do to work on that situation....

1. ditch ROAR, IFMAR, and the others ASAP... they are in some sort of weird time warp that doesn't cater to new entries into the sport.....

2. while entry numbers are still low like at most local tracks, you have to change the class structures.... it is insane to have 3 people in 1/10 electic buggy, 3 in 1/10 electric truck, 5 in 1/10 gas truck, 3 in beginner, 2 in monster truck electric, 3 in nitro monster, 4 in 1/8 buggy nitro, 3 in 1/10 4wd buggy ect ect ect..... wipe the slate CLEAN..... i know there are a million different types of RC's out there.... but the responsible thing to do is put people of equal ability together...... to do this i propose classes like this... 1/10 electric, 1/10 nitro, monster truck... in fact the classes should simply be 1. electric 2. nitro 3. monster truck 4. beginner.... the people who want to race will then need to make sure they have the equippment to be able to race in one of the mentioned classes......

having then split your local 30 racers into only 4 catagories instead of 8 or 9, then you start dividing them by skill, instead of simply what kind of body is on their RC..... the whole goal is close racing.... and right now we always end up with one slow guy, 2 medium guys, and one near factory guy that always wins in each class.... that needs to be changed.... so once you start seperating the field by skill, you can have classes like this....

electric- novice, intermidiate, expert

nitro- novice intermidiate, expert

monster truck- novice, intermidiate, expert

beginner

the manufactures need can help straighten out all this bull as well..... how can they do this??

1. make one racing kit for the 3 major classes above... with all of them being 4 wheel drive.... let's face it, an RC car is hard to control... all racing vehicles need to be AWD period..... also, dont' make seperate truck and buggy kits... make one kit that will accept either body style..... this seperate class thing for trucks and buggys is stupid at best..... they are nearly the same.... so why not make all the working parts and tires the same, have the racer pick his body style, and have them race in the same general class???

2. the manufactures can help out by developing some new and better technology..... it is ridiculous how often an electic motor needs work, and crazy how unreliable and hard to start that nitro's are...... if you want more people to stay in this sport, you have to come up with better powerplants period.... we're are not much better off for powerplants than we were 10 years ago..... and that is SAD......

just my .000000000002 cents

crashnburn
10-18-2000, 12:21 AM
Nice post flyboy I think you said all the right things. Lets make this hobby more "user" freindly not a "members only" thing. More people equals more fun

Crash

Ranchdreson
10-18-2000, 12:28 AM
There use to be a t.v. show about r/c's on pbs it was pretty cool. It's not on anymore though. It was called R/C TV. It was like R/C car action on t.v. Hey there's an idea R/C car action on t.v. That would be awsome.

Sean
10-18-2000, 01:12 AM
One of the best things you can do is drive your car where you can attract attention, and let someone drive it. As soon as they drive it, they want one. I've hooked several people this way. I use an original Blackfoot for this. It's not too fast for a kid to drive the first time, but fast enough to draw them in. And, it doesn't break easy.

gubbs3
10-19-2000, 02:43 PM
Thats the thing Barrff! Don't tell them how much yours costs. Tell them how much they can get one for. The bare minimun price is about $300 less than what I have into mine! Thats what we should do to encourage growth. I have been aproached after a race and asked how much it would be to get a car. After I told them the basics they would need they went into the shop and bought a car.

Zed
10-19-2000, 03:25 PM
I agree that the cost is a big factor. Not only do you have the initial upfront cost of the vehicle, you have recurring cost to keep it going. Iím afraid to figure out how much money Iíve spent on my truck after I got it (fuel, wheels/tires, tools, track/race fees, accessories, and lots of replacement parts). How many people have gone out and bought the vehicle only to find out that they canít afford to maintain it, and it ends up on a shelf in the garage. They have to know that these vehicles are not a toy, but a high performance vehicle that break and require maintenance. I think itís important that they realize this before getting into the sport.

Hopefully most of them will be like me and once they hit the throttle theyíll be hooked and take a second mortgage out on their house to keep it going:-)

Zed

pa_racer
10-19-2000, 08:04 PM
i just got out of this hobby becuase i bought a truck that im going to fix up til i get my driver's, and now i can't afford to own my rc's! im not going to sell them though, becuase oneday maybe i will race again, when i get money. oh well.

FLYBOY7
10-19-2000, 10:18 PM
i don't think cost is an issue at all.... and here's why.....

the sport of motocross is going berserk right now.... they are hitting all time highs for racing memberships, sponsors, and tv coverage....

sure, at the local races there are tons of 20 years olds with brand new bikes... but what may surprise you is that there is a HUGE increase in the 50, 60, and 80cc classes... (ages 4-15)..... the 50cc racing bikes start at around $3,0000, not including all the safety equipment, and spare parts needed to go racing..... (and this is just for the smallest bikes)...

now how is a 4 year old able to afford a 3 thousand dollar motocross bike??? mom and dad, of course... so why is mom and dad spending 3 grand on their 4 years olds?? because they see it as a fun sport, and good one to get involved with (even with all the danger involved)....

at my local motocross races we can expect around 30 different 50cc riders to show up..... 20 different 60cc riders.... and around 30-40 80cc riders..... thats a total of 80 riders under the age of 15 at just the regular old motocross.... at special events they have MUCH higher turn outs....

at one of the average RC races around here they can expect a TOTAL (all ages included) of 30 racers..... special events like the missouri state championships drew around 60 drivers total....

so what's the point of my post here?? that the price of RC cars is not a limiting factor at all.... it's the preceived value of our sport.... the typical mom and dad would freak out if their kid asked for 3 grand to race RC's..... but if the kid asked for a new YZ-80, they will go down and buy it (knowing full well that their child may be injured or killed racing a motocross bike)....

i think the same point could be made about mountain and bmx bikes... have you priced a good racing mountain bike lately??? (2 grand and higher).....

RC is a bargain, even if you spend a grand on the best of everything..... and the best point is that you can't get hurt racing!!! (marshling is a totally different issue.... LOL)

just my .00000000000000002 no signature cents..... http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/smile.gif

crazy1
10-19-2000, 11:51 PM
We need places to run. Off road tracks and on road tracks makes a big differnce in the amount of pepole who have R/C cars. I returned to R/C after an absence of four years because a local hobby shop set up a off road track that you can run all most any time. Going from just airplanes to airpanlens and cars with a track has more than doubled his bottom line. Cost is a major factor. Ran my truck during lunch and a couple of guys were interested. That is untill they found out the basic start up cost of about two hundred and fifty dollars. Thats one weeks pay man is what he said. We need more speck racing like the Bo Link Legands were. Holding a race at Walmart parking lot sounds like a good idea.

Barrff
10-20-2000, 12:24 AM
The single most important thing to increase interest?

$$$COST$$$

How many people "newbies" have coughed and laughed at you when you told them how much your RC cost??

Decrease cost and improve quality of entry level RC's! I would have jumped in sooner if it had been a little cheaper.

tadium54
10-27-2000, 07:12 PM
I aggre with all of you, but i have an opinion on this topic aswell.
I think many battery and motor companys should do reaserch on how toincrease the runtime, cut down on maitence and in short, increase speed and endurance(nitro speeds and runtime in an electric).
Also, to all of you experinced guys and girls, run your car or truck in a big public area(once mine gets up with all its stuff, im doin that).
I doubt this will be read by novak, tekin, or lrp, but here goes anyway. Attemt to make an esc with memory capabilities(correct me if im wrong, but i've never seen them, tell me at tadium54@hotmail.com)so that wou have to set up an esc only once, and the next time you turn it on, you just go, without having to set it all up.
Just my point of view

parch
10-27-2000, 11:30 PM
Its all up to the manufacturers.When have you ever seen them advertise on tv.If they dont how will people know about them.Only a few like us!