PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do anodizing?

format13
12-31-2004, 03:49 PM
Before i get any flames, im putting this into the "General Discussion" catergory because im more likely to find someone who can do this. Delete this if i am breeching any rules, or move it. ^^

I want to have the metal casing on my ipod mini anodized a different color, it is silver now, but i still think there would have to be some process to take that coating off. If anyone is currently doing a batch of a certain color i might be interested but im mainly looking for orange or black, also red if it is a true red. Thanks, and im not sure on how much it would cost to do, or how long of a process it is, but im sure we could work a deal out. Thanks!

-Matt

rocknbil
01-01-2005, 03:38 PM
To remove anodizing, use oven cleaner and put it in an oven for about 20 minutes.

I don't know of any services, but here's a couple anodizing kits:

UK manufacturer (http://www.speed-demon.supanet.com/anodise.htm)
Eclec-tech (http://www.e-clec-tech.com/alankitcso.html)

fanke19
01-01-2005, 04:05 PM
We run a Tool & Die shop...and have a couple places that we deal with for annodizing. Actual professional annodizing shops. An annodizing shop would strip the existing annodizing off first, then re-annodize. If you go to a place...you'll be looking at approximately $30-$40 min setup charge. But if you're lucky...they'll let you toss the item in with other items going through the same process for a song and dance...

format13
01-01-2005, 05:34 PM
THank you for the replys. Would i be looking for an anodizing specific shop or a machine shop that happens to deal with them?

fanke19
02-22-2005, 11:18 AM
You would prefer to find an annodizing shop direct...because any shop will charge you a small fee to have them do the dirty work for you. It's like this...if you find a machine shop ( A ) and an annodizing shop ( B ), then shop A will charge you a handling fee so that they can handle the job through shop B. Do a search on Yahoo by using the word "annodizing" and the name of the state you're from.

HRDforever
02-22-2005, 03:20 PM
anodizing...i think they might still have it....jagrc.com