PDA

View Full Version : Is my one-way screwed?

justo316
01-13-2005, 12:45 PM
May mate and I have both bought Pro4s. Both our cars pull right 180 turns when you go full throttle in a straight line then hit the brakes, everytime. On both our cars, you can sometimes spin the right front wheel backwards without it engaging the one way system.

Can someone help us?

ducati777
01-13-2005, 12:52 PM
1-ways are pretty durable, but need to be clean. Spray a nitro cleaner, denatured alcohol, or even a degreaser in the bearing, clean out with a Q-tip... should do you right.

justo316
01-13-2005, 01:09 PM
But it's brand new!? Seriously, this happened the first time we ran our cars. I will try clean it though.

ducati777
01-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Hmmm well spinning out when hitting the brakes sounds like you're locking up the rear wheels... you could adjust out some braking to keep it from locking up. If you lock up it almost insures a spinout.

How does it do when you accellerate?

justo316
01-13-2005, 07:39 PM
I tried adjusting the brakes. It does stop it from spinning , but only when I use bugger all brakes. It is strange that it does it with BOTH cars. It accelerates brilliantly.

I noticed a problem. You can sometimes spin the right front wheel backwards and it doesnt engage the oneway system. It feels like it's slipping. The left is fine. Again, this happens on both our cars.

ducati777
01-13-2005, 07:44 PM
Sometimes? Hmm this is a stumper, since the 1-way is a pretty simple device. Plus when working, it shouldn't brake at all on the front wheels... have you checked that? Rolling the car forward, does the right wheel ever engage the drivetrain?

Are you guys out in a parking lot? I'm thinkin the 1 way may prefer to be on a groomed surface, and you might have more fun if you used a standard front diff. But I know you just bought it so the last thing you want to hear is to go buy parts.

justo316
01-13-2005, 07:55 PM
forward works as it should. The right wheel never engages the drivetrain if you just spin it forwards. It really feels as though it is slipping inside the one way bearing?

ralliart
01-14-2005, 05:08 PM
When you have a One Way, your not suppose to apply any braking at all. As soon as you touch the brake that slows down the rear tire and the front is still spining which will make you spin even if you don't touch the steering. Next time you drive try not to use the brake because one ways arn't designed to use the brakes. Oneways normally help you turn faster in tighter corners or small tracks. It takes some skill to drive with a oneway but when you finally learn to drive with the oneway it generally is the faster then ball diffs.

justo316
01-16-2005, 12:11 AM
I realise that, but that still doesn't explain the inconsistencies in our oneways....unless everyone elses does the same.

ralliart
01-17-2005, 04:41 PM
when you lift your car up and throttle it does all for wheels spins. If not then your oneway bearing may have blown,so you need to replace the oneway bearing

-=ADA$=-
01-17-2005, 06:22 PM
do like ralliart said, lift the car and apply throttle all 4 wheels should turn, and when letting of trigger and applying brake rears should stop and front should still turn without a problem

justo316
01-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Everything works as you guys have described. I have noticed that my right wheel hasn't been able to slip against the one way bearing for a whole day! My friends still does though. I have a feeling there was just a bit too much lube in there or something.

I have also discovered that I am able to make the car do LEFT 180 spins everytime now! I was playing around with some settings and when I took it for a test spin, I found it had altered the way my car spins under heavy brakes. This is good news, cos it means my one way is probably fine, and I just need to tweak the setup.

boroef
01-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Everything works as you guys have described. I have noticed that my right wheel hasn't been able to slip against the one way bearing for a whole day! My friends still does though. I have a feeling there was just a bit too much lube in there or something.

I have also discovered that I am able to make the car do LEFT 180 spins everytime now! I was playing around with some settings and when I took it for a test spin, I found it had altered the way my car spins under heavy brakes. This is good news, cos it means my one way is probably fine, and I just need to tweak the setup.

if ur car is doing leftward spins, make sure u have the droop adjusted evenly on both sides.

i too have a pro4 and my car doesnt have that problem...my droop is dead even both left and right.

but i DO have the same problem as you with the one way...which is odd, i could never figure it out. my one way is fully operational, it's just that it seems that the right side doesnt fully lock!!!

my car handles fine though, and i am getting 4wd...so that's all that really matters i guess? :confused:

justo316
01-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Thank you! Finally, someone with a decent answer. As long as I know I am not the only one with the one way problem then I am happy. I will double check my droop settings. I thought I set it dead on though.

-=ADA$=-
01-18-2005, 03:17 AM
Also check the car for tweak - place the car on flat surface and carefully lift front or rear, if one wheel lifts earlyer than increase prelod on shock that is diagonally of this one (exapmle - front left wheel lifts earlyer - increase preload on rear right shock, and decres by same amount on rear left) do so for both sides and it should help.