PDA

View Full Version : Tire Glueing Technique

Raster
01-14-2005, 01:07 AM
I've been glueing my tires by applying the (thick) CA all along the bead channel on the rims, on each side. I do this in a continuous, thick bead. It's an unpleasant chore. It gets CA glue all over the sidewalls and on some of the rim.

On a lot of the instructions I've read on tire glueing, it says to just put a drop or two in the channel, in several places around the rim.

Is this enough (several drops)? Or, is it best to do a continuous bead or am I overdoing it? It seems like it would lessen a bit of the tire's flex and slippage on the rim by using a continuous bead.

But, I would be happy to just do a few drops...

Thanks for any help,
Ras

ososlow
01-14-2005, 05:08 AM
I used to pour CA all over the bead for it to hold fearing it would break loose. Since my Stampede would smoke the tires off the rims before I glued them.
Since then, I have just used 4-5 drops on the bead around the tire and they have held up well on my T-maxx and my friends RC10GT so far.

Just put a drop or 2 in the rims "channel" around the rim then seat the tire into it and you should be fine. Mount the tire on the rim first, then pull the tire up and glue. I think some people use a rubber band in the center of the tire to hold it firmly while it sets :confused:

Tucker01
01-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Here's my method:

I use common shop bought CA at present, but I will be buying something a bit better when I've run out.

Clean wheels and tyres in hot soapy water, dry overnight.

Mount tyre and foam to wheel. Double check tyre is on the right way round (!).

When it looks perfectly mounted I tack the tyre on with a small blob of CA at four points (12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock if you like). Because I'm using a medium CA there's time to pull the tyre away from the rim slightly to get the CA in their nicely, also massaging the tyre helps the CA spread around the joint better. I do each spot at a time, and hold the tyre against the rim whilst the CA dries.

I repeat this on one side of each wheel and tyre.

Then I do the other side of each wheel and tyre.

Then I go back and try to pull the tyre away from the rim, anytime there is a gap I use some more CA and hold 'till it sets.

When all the tyres have been done this way, I then run a final bead of CA around the tyre/rim joint and wipe away any excess.

It's probably not the quickest or neatest method I'm sure, but it works for me.

Hope that helps.

AceCoolie
01-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Here's the way I do it but you have to be quick...

Use the THIN CA. Put 10 or 12 drops in one place and then quick rotate the wheel. since the CA is thin, it will move and coat the wheel. Then quickly press the tire in the beed.

It takes a bit of practice. Too much and it will squirt out and glue your fingers to the tires :). You wouldn't believe how many of my tires have a big thumb print on them somewhere. To little CA and it will spread too thin and dry too quickly. Then you end up not getting the tire in place. For my 1/5th scale tires, I ended up buying a glueing device that presses the tire into the bead equally all around the wheel. This helps but I don't think they make these for smaller scales.

JamminJay
01-14-2005, 06:25 PM
I mount mine the same exact way tucker does, with the exception of the last part, i dont run a bead along the outside of the tire. And i have never had a tire slip dring a race.

-=ADA$=-
01-14-2005, 06:53 PM
depends on wheel ( i glue buggy tires) and i do similar to Ace, i pull the tire a bit from the bead (its still there but there is a gap between tire and bead) and put a drop of thin CA there, and than quickly pull part of it away that is aside of the drop placement, that way the drop slides on the bead and i can cover all bead with glue, and almost wont leave a mark on the tire, and than i just put thin bead on the place where tire and rim meets and OK. If i wont do it properly the tire will just unglue ;(

RC10racer89
01-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I do something nearly identical to this. http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/ht_gluetire.asp Actually good timing, since I just glued up a new set of tires for my GT about an hour ago :D I've never had a problem using this method, and the tires have always stayed on. The rubber band trick I actually picked up from RCCA, and you'd be surprized how much it helps.

Dumb Yet Smart
01-15-2005, 03:18 AM
Hasn't anyone tried this tire gluer made by Venom. http://rcvehicles.about.com/b/a/2004_10_04.htm