PDA

View Full Version : ofna 9.5 or ultra mbx pro vs. hotbodies rtr

BishopRyan
02-01-2005, 09:51 AM
ive gotten so many mixed opinions about both from my lhs that sell only hotbodies vs the forums that are really supporting ofna does anyone have either of these buggies and are you satisfied i was leaning twords the ultra mbx pro

cool head
02-01-2005, 10:21 AM
IMO the hotbodies is the best bang for the buck. i've owned the ofna ultra...POS. you'll hear that ofnas are good cars. but only from people who havn't owned other buggies, or, they'll feel better knowing someone else got a crappy ofna too. i pitty the poor fools that buy ofna buggies.

ofna left a crappy taste in my mouth that will never go away! :eek:

BishopRyan
02-01-2005, 10:29 AM
so is this hotbodies really as close to being like a kyosho 7.5 as everyone says and if i do go with hotbodies what kind of top speed should i expect any hop-ups i should consider right up front

MORTER MAN
02-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Yes, the hot bodies is going to be more durable. I myself want one really bad right now, so my HotBodies gets my vote, and if you can get the pro version.

docman2
02-01-2005, 12:59 PM
IMO the hotbodies is the best bang for the buck. i've owned the ofna ultra...POS. you'll hear that ofnas are good cars. but only from people who havn't owned other buggies, or, they'll feel better knowing someone else got a crappy ofna too. i pitty the poor fools that buy ofna buggies.

ofna left a crappy taste in my mouth that will never go away! :eek:

OK, so you bought a USED buggy for $100 and then beat the crap out of it and expected it not to break. Come on, be realistic!
I have 5 buggies and yes most are OFNAs but thats because they are good buggies. My best is the Jammin Pro, and yes technically its an OFNA, but its rated as one of the top buggies out there. Is it better? Sure it is but then again it cost twice as much as my Comp.
Just because your used buggy left a "crappy taste" in your mouth dosnt mean you should go on every OFNA thread and talk crap about them. Instead try to point out the things you like about the HB. It would be more productive.
I looked at a HB pro2 at my LHS and thought about getting it. It looked fine but I didnt see anything special about it. Im sure its a fine buggy but there was a Jammin RTR sitting next to it. Since I like the Pro version so much I got it instead.
Anyway, most people at my track run OFNAs and everyone from the top drivers down to the newbies love them and have had great experiences with them. You get a lot for your money.

TC3Racer
02-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I race a Hot Bodies Lightning 2 Pro and absolutely love it. I've driven just about every buggy you can think of and the L2P is just as nice as every top end buggy and honestly it fits my driving style the best.

If your LHS is stocking HB then i would highly reccomend going with one. The RTR version is very nice and its a solid, durable buggy that you will have alot of fun with. They run about the same price as most OFNA buggies and the quality is considerably better. OFNA buggies are solid and I definitely agree with getting alot for your money but the Hot Bodies line is nicer in most areas.

As far as top speed goes you'll probably get around 40 with the RTR version. OFNA states different claims of 50+mph on the boxes of most of their Ultra buggies but that is far from true. Most high end buggies with 400 dollar engines have trouble pushing those speeds.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

BishopRyan
02-01-2005, 02:02 PM
[B]im pretty sure im going hotbodies rtr cant afford the pro i do like ofna but sounds like hotbodies is the better buggy what upgrades should i get right off the bat

atm92484_3
02-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Like I said in the other post, just get some high torque servos. All RTR buggies need them no matter what; the standard plastic geared servos they give you are insufficient. A rechargable pack is also a good idea, but the servos are more important.

BishopRyan
02-01-2005, 02:33 PM
which servo's do you recommend i was also thinking that was a good place to start any hop-ups that whould bring this rtr closer to the pro version other than a larger engine

atm92484_3
02-01-2005, 02:36 PM
The HB/Force .26 isn't really much of an upgrade; it has a little more torque but thats about it. For servos, Hitec's 645mg's are a good, inexpensive servo. As for hop-ups, the biggest thing would probably be some machined chassis braces from the Pro. From there, just upgrade or replace stuff as it breaks.

cool head
02-01-2005, 03:48 PM
OK, so you bought a USED buggy for $100 and then beat the crap out of it and expected it not to break. Come on, be realistic!
I have 5 buggies and yes most are OFNAs but thats because they are good buggies. My best is the Jammin Pro, and yes technically its an OFNA, but its rated as one of the top buggies out there. Is it better? Sure it is but then again it cost twice as much as my Comp.
Just because your used buggy left a "crappy taste" in your mouth dosnt mean you should go on every OFNA thread and talk crap about them. Instead try to point out the things you like about the HB. It would be more productive.
I looked at a HB pro2 at my LHS and thought about getting it. It looked fine but I didnt see anything special about it. Im sure its a fine buggy but there was a Jammin RTR sitting next to it. Since I like the Pro version so much I got it instead.
Anyway, most people at my track run OFNAs and everyone from the top drivers down to the newbies love them and have had great experiences with them. You get a lot for your money.

well i'm sorry you bought a bunch of ofnas. i will continue to give my opinion of ofna product as i see fit. i told ofana thats what i would do, and 2yrs later i'm keeping my word. my opinoins come from experience, so i'm not just talkin out my a$$. and for the record, you have absolutly no idea how i drove the car. out of 50 driver at "the dirt" at most, 3 drive ofnas and rarely make the A main let alone place. maybe if you broke out of the mold and sold all your ofnas you could buy a mugen or 777. then you could tell that there is a big differance between buggies made in tiwain and buggies made in japan. much like a kia compared to a toyota.

docman2
02-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Actually I have a perfect idea of how you drove it. You talked about cartwheeling down the straight because you couldnt jump without nose diving. That pretty much covers what it went through.
Your trying to compare the Comp that cost less than $300 RTR against KITS that cost twice as much then you still have to buy a motor etc.
I could have a Mugen or 777 if I wanted one. The Mugens OK but way over priced and you couldnt give me a 777. My Jammin Pro is just as good if not better than either.
By the way did you notice who TQed the Worlds? Thats right, an OFNA! :)
So you can cry about your "bad" experience with a used $100 buggy but people need to know not to listen.

cool head
02-02-2005, 10:08 AM
oh...ok. what your saying is, ofna cars are great cuz because YOU own a few and say they are. and everyone else who says otherwise is just a poor driver. well that makes scense.

now how about stop putting words in my mouth. i never said i cartwheeled down the straight. nor did i say i couldn't jump it without nose diving. i simply mentioned the characteristics of the car, not my driving. god...such a tool.

-=ADA$=-
02-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Ive driven so far X-terminator Kanai 3, and MBX5 prospec, yet i have to try mp777 and xb-8 as i said in my other post. I also dont understand you bash OFNA, i have it as my second ofny, and i bought it after long search, and got to point that ofna will be best mix of price/durabilitie/handling. I have to say probably there are more durable cars, bette handling, but ive seen A-arm on MBX5 snap after small collision, and does it make POS car? I wouldnt say so.
SO no offens but i have to disagree.

cool head
02-02-2005, 10:30 AM
no offence taken ADA. we're all entitled to our own opinions!

-=ADA$=-
02-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Of course, i dont want to learn you what to do, from this BB i know you know about RC alot, but i mean you cant base your oppinion on things that happened 2 years ago, times change, ofna H7 won championships recently, over mugens and kyoshos. And about old bad experiance, well kyosho havent wont any big races in 1/8 on-road (as i remember) 2 years ago, and look now, 7 (or 8) out of 10 on finals.

docman2
02-02-2005, 10:59 AM
"ofna cars are nose divers, so it would cartwheels at least everyother lap."

CH- You posted this on another thread so Im not making it up. The words came out of your mouth, or fingers.
I dont think they are good cars because I own several of them. I own several of them because they have proven to be good cars! BIG DIFFERENCE!
Because you beat up a USED $100 buggy then that is supposed to mean that OFNAs are Junk. Give me a break!
Ive been running a Comp since Aug every weekend with nothing but grease in the diffs. Two weeks ago I got off my butt and pulled them apart to fill with oil. All the gears looked almost new with almost no sign of wear. If you were stripping them out it had to be one thing. The diffs were not shimmed right so the pinion was riding the tips of the ring gear and stripping them. You cant blame that on the buggy.
Yes you have the right to your opinion but at least let everyone now the whole story. It was used, you beat it hard, and it must have been your first buggy. At least they could then take what you say with a grain of salt. :)

-=ADA$=-
02-02-2005, 11:42 AM
I have to say that i agree with both :D, One thing is that some may have good or bad experiance, and its gret to shear so potential buyer will know good and bad things that might happen, but also one or two things dont make a car POS, nothing is unbreakable. To your knowlage ive once had head on collision in RC i was driving MBX R2, and my friend was running XTM buggy, i havent any things broken, and he had bent shock shaft, and shock cap, does it make his car POS?? i dont think so

docman2
02-02-2005, 12:28 PM
ADA I have to agree with you. Every buggy out there has something that people dont like or is not up to par. Even the most expensive ones. Thats normal but as you said it dosnt make the car or a whole line of cars a POS. Ive seen plenty of newbies that couldnt get something started or tuned right and they thought it was crap. Then they bring it to our track and we fix or adjust whatever minor problem there was. Bingo the thing is running great and they think its the best ever.
My favorite is when someone slams a 9-13lb car/truck into something at 30-40mph and get POed when something breaks. Yeah, its the cars fault!
Are there better buggies than the Comp? Sure, but your going to pay more for everything they add to it. For a buggy that you can get RTR for about $240 the Comp cant be beat. Your not going to win the Nationals but it wasnt meant for that purpose. It will give you a good buggy to start with at a very low price though.

cool head
02-02-2005, 11:23 PM
sup doc?
what i said.. "ofna cars are nose divers, so it would cartwheels at least everyother lap."

and what you thought you heard...You talked about cartwheeling down the straight because you couldnt jump without nose diving.

yes i had a bad experience with ofna. not just the cars but the engines too. onfa does a bad job of fessing up to problems with their workmanship. yes i bought an ofna lx comp for $100 in like new condition and with stock p4. it was not my first 1/8 buggy (i use to have a MP6). yes i drove the crap out of it, the same as the rest of the 1/8 guys. the differance was, my car couldn't hande 10 mins of racing let alone a 30 min main. that was over 3 yrs ago. i see the same car assembled 6 different ways, with 3 different names. but i recognize the parts well. i raced the buggy at "the dirt" in hemet, home of several nat events. it is a grooling track and extreamly difficult to negotiat. no matter how i set up the suspention, the car had problems either handling the ripples, or going nose down on the big air. well if you drive a nose diver like the LX, you've learned to stay on the gas in the air. landing the car on the gas strips the ring gear because they drilled 4 holes through the teeth. thats why they go through ring gears. so don't land on the throttle you might say, well chopping the throttle with an LX means your cars gonna look like russian acrobat. problems? stub axels... lets talk stub axels. those things bend like gumby legs, and they ain't cheap either. how about the fact that the chassi hits first on a nose dive instead of the tires like all the other buggies? how about the center shafts bending? how about those loose as a goose front carriers that don't hold a bearing tight even when new? geeze ........do you want me to keep going? after i purchase the x-terminater, all of a sudden i'm a good driver and hardly anything has broken in 2 yrs. the car flies level, no bent axels, centershafts or ring gears. coincidance?

docman2
02-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Sounds like you got some practice with the Comp and it paid off. :)

Listen my Comp has been beat to death over the last six months and I have not had any of those problems. Nobody at my track has either and I havent heard anyone else talking about those problems. Heck mine jumps a little nose high and I need to tap the brakes to bring it down. As far as it being in like new condition, shoot I could clean up mine and make you think it had hardly been run. I just dont know what you expected OFNA to do about a buggy you bought used. If it had been new out of the box then yes but not used, and the motor. Ive seen people ruin them on the first tank and you cant expect OFNA to bite the bullet on that.
Im sorry you had a bad experience with yours but that dosnt mean they are all junk. I bet I could let you drive mine and you would have a different opinion.
I understand that you like your HB and there is nothing wrong with that. I hope you enjoy it for a long time. Just try to point out the good things about it instead of making it your mission to Bash OFNAs. One lone voice saying they are junk just dosnt make it so. At my local track we have proven how good they really are. So much so that that is why the LHS is now selling them. Thats a pretty good testament.
Anyway, good luck to you and keep racing. :)