PDA

View Full Version : back in rc after 10yrs

spartanmatt
09-14-2000, 12:53 AM
I need some help getting back into RC cars. I have been out of the scene for 10 years, but I just dusted off my old car and wanted to maybe look for something new. My first car 12 yrs ago was a Tamiya Hornet, and my 2nd and last car was an Associates RC-10 with a graphite chassis. Obviously both are electric, and I will probably stay in electrics. Can someone tell me about HPI, and specifically the RS4 rally sport? I really like the car, but want more info. I also want any general info about what cars are out there. Thanks!

XXXER
09-16-2000, 11:02 AM
you should check out the new losi rally weapon, tons of aftermarket parts already for the street weapon and XX-4, it is also better because of its completely sealed belts, it is $175 at my LHS and the RS4 is the same price, the losi is alot easier on the motor and ESC because it only needs one body, not 3, but it only accepts saddle packs http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/frown.gif

ou812
09-16-2000, 07:55 PM
The Rally Sport is based on the "technology" 1 generation old. HPI designd the cars using components from the RS4 Sport and RS4 MT, and now the RS4 Pro2 and Sport 2 are in abundance.

For Rally racing, this shouldn't bother you (with the exception of the Losi Rally Weapon, the other Rally cars/conversions are also 1 or 2 years old).

What should bother you is that HPI has discontinued *some* of the old generation parts. For example, I have been unable to find the main chassis plate for my old RS4 Sport, which is the same part that's on the Rally. I've been told that the Sport2/Pro2 chassis plates won't fit, though I don't know what the differences would be. I also doubt that HPI would be looking to release a Rally 2 unless the Losi car spurs on a renewed interest in Rally racing.

Anyway ... I don't mean to talk you out of HPI. I love their stuff ... as shown in my sig, I've got the Sport, NRS4-2, and my wife just got an electric MT. HPI has been spreading rumors of the Pro3, and I will probably get one of those when they're released next spring/summer.

------------------
Oh, you ate one too?
NRS4-2, RS4 Sport, RC10-GT, and a Clod
Am I bragging? Nope. Just tellin' you what I've got. :)

SteveP
09-17-2000, 12:36 AM
Matt - I would also consider looking at the new Associated TC3-based rally car. Most rally cars are based on touring cars, and that means belt drive. Belt drives and dirt don't mix to well, which is why I think the Assocaited car will work very well. It's shaft drive and the drivetrain is sealed from the elements, unlike the belt-driven cars. Just another option.

mike
09-17-2000, 12:50 AM
except for the rally weapon,which does have sealed belts, plus its spur gear and pinion gear are also sealed, what also makes the rally weapon nice is that this car and street weapon are based on the xx4, an offroad car.

spanner
05-23-2001, 09:42 PM
Do you still have the hornet chasis and is it in good shape. the reason I ask is I hear it can replace the damaged one on my super hornet. e-mail me if you are interested in selling it to me, or buying my stuff to rebuilt your hornet.
http://www.rccaraction.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000782