PDA

View Full Version : ID this dinosour rc from 70s -nitro- ?

rampbrian
02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
http://usera.imagecave.com/rampbrian/oldrccar/DSC00235-copy.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/rampbrian/oldrccar/DSC00236-copy.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/rampbrian/oldrccar/DSC00237-copy.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/rampbrian/oldrccar/DSC00238-copy.jpg
so this is it,
its just about as big as my ofna 1/8 scale buggy,
it looks to use a .21 engine.
the engine case says k/b and 35 on the other side.
its all there, the engine is rusted solid, but the tranny is all in 1 piece, the drive shafts work, and the suspension needs to be cleaned up a good bit, but iits all there.

do I keep it like it is now, and shelf it? or do I take the chance at taking things apart to clean and restore the shocks, tranny, ext and run the risk of striping out rusted 30year old screws?

does any one have any idea what in the world this thing is, and when it was made?

nitrohead5300
02-12-2005, 09:05 PM
I am stumped I don't have a clue.

streetracer
02-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Even if you do shelf it, take it aprt, clean parts, and take apart the engine. You may be able to salvage the engine cosmetically if shelfed. But if you feel venturous, put a new enegine in it off ebay or so, and try drivin it.

Hard Core RC Guy
02-12-2005, 09:16 PM
my guess it's from the Cox era, not many nitros back then. Try them and Kyosho.

J :cool:

rampbrian
02-12-2005, 09:18 PM
I believe the take out engine from my monster gt will fit in nicely. since it has pull start and the shaft start that would make it even eazier to run.

but the steering system needs to be revised if I was to do that, and I dont want to deface a rare part of rc history by upgrading it.

I have never seen or heard of a car that looks like this, any one else?
ps, its way bigger than the kyosho assualt. + that car uses double arms on its suspension where this one only has a single beefy cast arm per side

Krasi_5000
02-12-2005, 10:28 PM
woww. i must say that has to be the oldest thing i've seen in r/c...and i love it. Just look at how its different from todays moddern r/c's. But however i must say that engine is suprisingly high tech its got the rear exhaust, non pull start. And you gotta love how to start it its got a belt on the fly wheel!!! and look at the chassis its just like a huge tub.
BEEEUTIFUL

were did you get it/find it anyway?

C.J.OO
02-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Man I thought My Baja Las vegas Buggy was old...

I think Mr.Pond Might be able to help you out here...
I am also stumped as to what it is.?.

trw
02-13-2005, 12:00 AM
i think you shouldnt change anything,

replace the fuel lines, clean out the inside of the engine with ARO or WD-40, replace the glow plug, check and make sure the electronics work, check and tighten screws, re-lube bearings (if it has bearings) and check the engine seals too, make sure the carb seal is good and replace the exhaust gasket if need be (doubtful you can find any that fit that exhaust) fill it up and start it and maybe putt around your frontyard or something.

and if you really want to restore it, polish the parts up and reshine them instead of upgrading them.

TC3Racer
02-13-2005, 12:49 AM
man i would be really tempted to work on that thing and get it running again!

I remember seeing some old school Tamiya's with the engine mounted that far back but this definitely looks older.

Wow... that thing is so cool. That is true Vintage R/C right there. If I were you I would see what you can do with it. Look at it a bit more and see if you can take it apart safely without destroying its integrity. Hopefully we'll find out what it IS! I'm really anxious... keep us updated.

Mustang2
02-13-2005, 12:55 AM
That thing is sweet

trw
02-13-2005, 01:36 AM
what I'd find interesting is to see what you use start something like that :D

Jetskiboy77
02-13-2005, 01:44 AM
I love how that could possibly be twice my age. Whered you get that and how much?

rampbrian
02-13-2005, 08:17 AM
trw, the belt that is hanging around the engine goes on the fly wheel, you use a bump starter like for a airplane on the belt, and pull it snug when your spinning the electric engine, the belt turns over the car engine, thus starting it.

so we have gathered that this is the predicessor of the kyosho assualt, wich is loosely designed around this same layout of chassi.
what the heck could this thing be? the wheels are cast alluminum, verry heavy for wheels. I beleive they are 2 or 3 piece held together with screws. verry old.
im tempted to take out the electrics, and give it a bath with pb blaster. that magnetic lube can free any stuck bolt or screw. it getts in every where. that way I would feel more confident in trying to take it apart for cleaning and polishing parts.
mr steve pond, do you have any ideas? is this the oldest rc car you ever saw?

o yes, its my neighbors, I found it up in the top of is garage/ barn thing.
full of old 70's dirtbikes helmets, tools and cool stuff like that.

Jetskiboy77
02-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Why dont you ask your neighbor? Shouldnt he know if it was his?

Specializer
02-13-2005, 06:03 PM
sell it to me :D

jimbow
02-13-2005, 07:13 PM
looks kind of "custom" to me...

Specializer
02-13-2005, 07:27 PM
reminds me of a traxxas bullet

rampbrian
02-13-2005, 09:09 PM
my neighbor said it was his friends that gave it to him years ago.
neither have any idea what in the world it is.

about the custom., ive thought about that too, but there are too many cast pieces for it to just be a total custom. the drive train, rear suspension and front end along with wheels and tires all had to come from some sort of rc car. the rest could of eazily been a custom, but those parts came from somewhere.
and the lexan boddy, that thing fitts the chassi perfect. I dont think some one would of made a one off lexan boddy like that for a custom rc back in the day.

I guess its just lost in time.

djgrom
02-13-2005, 10:14 PM
it looks wicked cool, the bumper looks like an airfoil and is going to force the front wheels down

Tim'sLosi
02-24-2005, 10:10 PM
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325143

Similar...Also read..."kyosho also has a buggy exactly like that called the soda pop or pop buggy.There might be an older one called the itsumisti ratz"

More pics and info here... http://ca.geocities.com/experiment@rogers.com/futaba-buggy1971.htm

GT Freak
02-25-2005, 02:53 AM
does this pic help??

henry_huckem
02-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Cool car. It looks like its some kind of custom version of the old Tamiya Sand Rover or something similar. And I DO mean custom, cause the sand rover was an electric I beleive, but check out the striking similarities in the front suspension.

http://www.darrynsretrorc.rtox.com/tamiyapicslarge/tamiyasandrover.jpg

I dunno.. maybe???

Tim'sLosi
02-25-2005, 08:10 PM
and he was very helpful...He actually thinks it is my car but otherwise a great answer and tips. Here is what he said...

Hey Tim I'm giving this one my full attention. It may take a some searching my resources but I should have something shortly. Talk to you in a bit.

Brian Myers
www.vintagercweb.com

Well Tim,
What I think you have is one of two manufactures the first and most likely is a Thunder Tiger. I have included a link to an early Thunder Tiger buggy, it's not the same model but similar. The only thing I really have to go on is the design of the front suspension and the position of the engine. Most of the early nitro buggies had the motors that the output shaft faced the rear. This was so that a electric starter with a cone could be used. The other manufacture would be Kyosho but I don't think that is very likely.
The Kyosho Bash III had the same type of tub but most had frame rails. The bad thing is that there were a lot of small companies that never succeeded and this might be a product of one of those. You stated in your posting that you didn't know weather to take it apart or not. Restoring this buggy to a better condition would be a great asset to the the hobby of vintage r/c. You would certainly want to take a great deal of time and care as well as wd-40 or pb blaster. If a bolt or screw is stuck, soak it and get back to it in a day or so. If you can get the engine apart do it. Even if the compression is bad, put a new plug in it and see if it will start. The fact that you could say it runs is huge even if it runs badly. Also as you clean the bits, look each part over for a name or a clue.
You have a very early piece of r/c history. Be proud of it and take care it. There are very few of these really old buggies left. I would guess, by looking at the style of the body, if this buggy is a production model that it is one of the very first.

http://home.kimo.com.tw/emerson_shih/firebird.html

Talk to you soon,

Brian Myers
www.vintagercweb.com

rcboy201
02-25-2005, 09:03 PM
are you sure its from the 70's it look like a brand new duratrax.......j/k :D

egdinger
02-25-2005, 10:38 PM
The engine is from a manufaturer called k/b or kb. It could a .35 or 3.5 sized engine, depending on the mesurment type used. My guess is 3.5 ci. I would restore it.

Tim'sLosi
02-25-2005, 10:57 PM
The engine is from a manufaturer called k/b or kb. It could a .35 or 3.5 sized engine, depending on the mesurment type used. My guess is 3.5 ci. I would restore it.

Didn't he say that in his opening post? It is a K&B 3.5 cc engine which is the same as a .21.

rampbrian
11-01-2005, 02:27 AM
apparently this is the exact same thing I have out in the garage, so if there are 2 of em then theyr probly not 100% custom jobs.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1-8-scale-1950-s-nitro-buggy-kyosho-tamiya-hpi_W0QQitemZ6003474208QQcategoryZ19168QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

4DMNYC
11-01-2005, 09:23 AM
It looks like a Heath Kit. Those were made in the late 60's to early 70's, use .19 sized engines and ran 80% nitro, believe it or not. They also greatly relied on the flex on the chassis for suspention, called "Flex pan suspention". I actualy have footage, I'll see if I can get it together tonight when I get home from work.

4DMNYC
11-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Aight here's some vintage footage...Bare with me because it's un edited and frankly, I think it's better that way. I got this footage from the hobby shop I go to, those guys have been into rc for over 60 years ( yes, 60 years) and have most of it documented.
So here is 3 minutes of the five hours of footage they gave me. After you open the page, right click and save as.....

http://radiocontrolentertainment.com/home.htm

DaveG
11-01-2005, 09:27 PM
K&B still makes a 3.5 engine. I know that it's avaliable as a marine outboard and a marine inboard. Maybe if you contact them they could help. It's possable that they may know who bought those engines. They may even be able to help you with parts for the motor. Might be worth a try.

DCLXVI
11-07-2005, 02:28 AM
Well, a 3.5 cui engine would be bigger than the car...the most probable is that it's a 3.5 cc engine...