PDA

View Full Version : Reat Toe In, Why?

Skiddins
02-17-2005, 06:44 PM
:confused: I notice that most kits these days allow for a lot of toe in at the rear.

What advantage does this toe in give.

I know that toe in at the front can help make a car more stable.

Thanks
Skiddins

metalry101
02-17-2005, 06:54 PM
I think it helps keep the rear end hooked up under hard acceleration.

I don't race, so I'm not positive on that, but I think that's why they do it. I know the GS SUT that I got today has some mad rear toe in. Hopefully that means it'll be a rocket!

Maxxcrazy
02-17-2005, 06:58 PM
It has the same effect as front toe out

rocknbil
02-17-2005, 07:39 PM
^ ^ ??????

Rear toe-in forces the wheels to put a bit of momentum to the centerline of the vehicle. In long straights, this equates to stability (less straightline wobble) and as said, increases traction under hard accelleration. The trade-off is that because the wheels are not perfectly straight forward, there is a little bit of "scrub" - that is, some of the wheel's momentum is diverted sideways insead of forward, which ticks off a little bit of available speed. Not much, it's a good trade-off.

Front wheels are almost always slightly toed-in for the same reason, or set to 0 toe-in. The only reason you would ever toe-out at all is to gain a little steering, and then usually only on ovals.

And by the way, welcome aboard! :D

Skiddins
02-18-2005, 04:20 AM

You can look forward to lots more stupid questions if I get back into all this. ;)

Skiddins

-=ADA$=-
02-18-2005, 06:32 AM
i run 3* rear toe in, cause as i know it helps with accelerating out of corners, also i run front 1* out to get some steering, also as i know it gives a bit better steering respons, but the car may be unstable on straights.