PDA

View Full Version : MT's, Buggies, ST's, & Some Random Q's

RCNewbGuy
02-21-2005, 02:08 PM
I am really sorry if this is in the wrong forum. It seems to belong in a few different forums.

My friend and I like R/C stuff a lot. We each own one Mini-Z MR-02 and he has an electric Traxxas Rustler Stadium Truck. For a while we've been wanting to shoot a video of some of our hobbies, including R/C. We've been thinking of purchasing an R/C Monster Truck and a Buggy. First, I don't know whether to get nitro or electric. How much does nitro cost, anyways? I ordered some parts for my Mini-Z at TowerHobbies, and they also mailed me the February issue of SpeedMart and some other magazine thing. While browsing through SpeedMart, I found an MT and a Buggy that caught my eye. They were the DuraTrax WarHead Nitro MT and the DuraTrax Evader BX/Nitro Evader BX. The WarHead RTR comes with a 3-channel Futaba radio, and the Evader RTR comes with a 2-channel Futaba radio. The Pre-built Evaders don't come with radios. If I got the WarHead RTR and the Evader Pre-built, could I control both the Evader and the WarHead (not at the same time) with the 3-channel radio? I don't know if these vehicles are any good or bad or what, they just caught my eye and seem kinda cheap. I am pretty new to R/C and deciding on what to buy is very hard because there are so many choices. I really don't want to get a T-Maxx because a former neighbor (he moved away somewhere) had one and it broke down ALL THE TIME.

I was at my friend's house and we set up the skate ramp (http://www.expnproshop.com/CoreRide/Details.asp?pid=13398&stack=34.235) in the street and launched his electric Rustler off it. It got a lot of air, and the jumps were beautiful and well-balanced, until it hit the ground. Every time it hit the ground, the chassis scraped the street. Whenever he turned the truck, the part on the outside of the curve would sink down, and the part on the inside would stay level or go up. If he went full speed and then turned as sharp as possible, the truck would roll. I think that all of these are because of the shocks. They are VERY soft. Can he get stiffer shocks? If so, would it help? Also, my neighbor has a Nitro Rustler. If we launched it off the skate ramp, would it survive? We all think that this would be a cool addition to the video. Another thing about ramps, which of these would be most suitable, in the middle, and least suitable, for launching off of ramps: Monster Truck, Buggy, or Stadium Truck? I know that seems pretty self explanatory, but monsters going off ramps always brings to mind my neighbor's T-Maxx, and how many times it broke. The first time it broke was when he launched it off a dirt ramp no bigger than the skate ramp. When it landed, the front axle broke off and the truck bounced up, and hit the dirt again. I really don't want my vehicles to go through what that T-Maxx did *shiver*. Sure, it would be good for the video, but not good for the budget 8).

TimisTim
02-21-2005, 02:32 PM
First off Welcome to the Board.....I have to say that I am a big stadium truck fan. Im sure the monsters might be able to take a bigger hit, but I have a Losi XXX-T that I have put through hell and back and have never broken a part other than a few old ball joints and cheapy servos.

About stiffer shocks you have to remember that the springs dont do a thing for absorbing a hit it is the oil in them. If I was you I would change the oil to a heavier weight mabey somehting around 30wt. The springs are just there to adjust the ride height and help with the rate at which the suspension will move under cornering and such.

By the way if you really want to launch something off a ramp you should check out the 1/8th scale buggies I have seen them do crazy things. I might have one sometime soon (converted to brushless of course). :cool:

RCNewbGuy
02-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Keep in mind that I have never owned a nitro vehicle, but I have driven some of my neighbors'/friends'. I've only driven Traxxas nitro vehicles, and of those I've driven a 4-Tec, Rustler, and a T-Maxx. So what I am looking for is a vehicle capable of surviving jumps and going off road, but will also be able to go on road, though not as extreme on road as say a 4-Tec. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but what seems to fit this description the most is a buggy. I'm looking for a cheap, entry-type vehicle that fits this description. I'm still not sure whether to get electric or nitro. How much does nitro cost? Are the vehicles somewhat fuel efficient?

Thank you for all your help TimisTim! I'm still quite confused though.

RCNewbGuy
02-21-2005, 11:18 PM
I think I have decided that I want a buggy instead of a monster truck. Now I need to know what to look for in an R/C buggy though. Should I go for electric or nitro? What scale is best? Should I look for 2WD or 4WD? The Sportwerks Mayhem looks completely & utterly awesome, but I don't think I want to spend that much $$$ on a buggy. I don't even know if I'll have a dirt track to run on - I heard that the hobby store sold their dirt track, but I can't confirm this.

By the way, what does brushless mean? I know it means without brushes, or lacking of brushes, but what does that mean in R/C? And what is up with certain size motors being banned from racing? I heard that it's illegal to run the Mayhem at a track because it's motor is too powerful?! Then why do they sell it with that motor?!?!

JB_The_Evader
02-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Brushless refers to a brushless motor. More power, efficiency, and less work required to keep it running well.

Buggies are a blast. I've got a xxx BK2 that I race, a xxx-4 that I traded an emaxx for so I could race it, but then after trading it it hit me that my track only races 4wd buggy on occasion (yeah, a slight oversight lol), and an ofna 9.5. The 1/8 scale buggy is tons of fun and incredibly durable, but I hardly have time to run it (especially now that we've been having rain socal... at least the local track is indoors!). If you're only going to bash with it and not race, I'd recommend a 1/8 scale gas buggy, or, for more convenience, a 1/10 scale 4wd electric buggy. With a nice setup, a 4wd electric buggy can be crazy fast and less hassle than a nitro car, just not quite as durable (but still plenty durable).

nitrobug
02-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Hey RCNewbguy, If your looking for a buggy their is 1/10 and 1/8th scale. 1/10th is primarly electric except for the nitro evader, which is I believe to sell for around 250.00, it is a well built buggy for the money, but is a basher buggy, nobody races them,not normally anyway. But if you decide to get an 1/8th buggy but do not want to break the bank look at the ofna 1/8 nitro buggies, they are very tough and parts are available, you can get a lx ultra comp rtr for 300.00. It is very durable, if you are not going to race the size of the motor does not matter, most clubs will allow a larger then 21 size motor for a regular club race anyway. As far as brushless goes, it is the new technology being used in the r/c car electric motors,brushless motors have been around for awhile now, but has finally made to the r/c car arena, and yes the brushless motors do not have brushes in them to transfer the current to the armature, the part of the motor that spins in the metal can

ducati777
02-22-2005, 11:41 AM
If you're just out bashing in the street doing jumps, I'd probably go with a stadium truck. They're fast, durable, and cheap to repair.

A buggy is as fast and usually faster, pretty durable, and expensive to repair and run. A monster truck is great offroad, but if you're going to use a skateboard ramp a lot, remember your friend's maxx. A MT is a big truck, and they break due to their weight.

As far an nitro vs electric, they both have their virtues. However if you haven't tried a nitro, there's no time like the present. You gotta try it!

Fluke
02-22-2005, 12:01 PM
i have both 1/10 ep buggy and 1/8 nitro buggy and even though the electric is fun,the nitro outruns it both in bashing and racing.don't worry if you don't have previous experiance with nitro,we had to start too one day.

TimisTim
02-23-2005, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't go with the buggy I would stick to stadium trucks if you are going to be doing alot of bashing and jumping. Buggies IMO dont have the ability to land jumps and dont have the ride height to go thru grass and absorb bumps while bashing around the neighborhood. Nitros can be finiky so do your research before you run it, read up and Im sure you will be having fun in no time.

RCNewbGuy
02-23-2005, 05:43 PM
I have some more questions. How expensive is fuel for nitro vehicles, and how fuel-efficient are they? Also, how much work are they? We ran my friend's Rustler again, and it seemed more of a hassle than fun. It seemed like it took longer to take off the body, take out the battery, charge it, put it back in, and place the body back on, than it took to run out of juice. With nitro, it seems as if you get longer run times and you can just re-fuel in a minute rather than charging a battery pack for an hour. And Tim, there really isn't much grass in my neighborhood (actually there isn't much in the whole city compared to other places) and I've seen videos of buggies taking some pretty big jumps and falls, and surviving. To me, the DuraTrax Nitro Evader BX seems like a good buggy for the price. I don't know what to look for, but I PM'ed someone who owns one and they said it would be a good entry-level buggy. There is a local dirt track I might be able to go to, would they race buggies there? Also, I read about something calling a Fail-Safe that is used for nitro vehicles. What exactly is this and what does it do? Does it come with vehicles or do you have to purchase it? And, I read that you should use different tires for different terrain because running certain tires on the wrong types of terrain can wear them down.

TMaxxBenny25
02-23-2005, 10:29 PM
T-maxxes Dont Break Down All Of The Time. He Must Have Been A Bad Driver Cause Ive Had Mine For A Year And I Drive Hard And Cant Break It!!!!!!!

RCNewbGuy
02-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Is nitromethane bad to inhale? I wouldn't purposely go around sniffing my tank, but when I'm using it I might accidently sniff the fumes.

MORTER MAN
02-25-2005, 11:21 PM
the fumes are't THAT BAD for you if bad at all, but they can't be good for you ;)

Yep, I am gonna do it, because it's a solid truck guys. If you want to jump, and have alotta fun, then get a RC10GT. Solid as a rock, won't break down like the rustlers and t-maxxes will and it comes RTR. It's IMO the best truck for some one like you, just starting out. and i believe it's only 10 bucks more then the evader, and worth every penny.

DBracer
02-26-2005, 12:07 AM
failsafe is something every nitro should have. if your transmitter runs out of batteries, you would have no control over the gas and steering. when its on full throttle, normally theres a price to pay... my car has run off without me 2 times so far... but they were when i was breaking it in, so i wasnt at full throttle. it ended up hitting snow both times. most cars dont come with this, and the failsafe thing costs around $20. if you dont want to pay that much for something you might not use, you can always get a sprin and attach it to the throttle. this would work when the batteries for the reciever, and the transmitter die. but its hard to do without messing up the acceleration.

and for the tire part, you should get a street pair, and an offroad pair. the asphalt can really eat away at the tires, but the onroad tires are made for it. but if your just going to do a little of of onroad, i reccomend just sticking with offroad tires, that way you can go from the street to your yard faster.

Fluke
02-26-2005, 01:13 AM
if you go for a truck,i reccomand proline dirthawgs or somthing similar as tires for bashing.

if you go for buggies,i highly recomand you a 1.8th offroad.some are not more expensive than the evader you are looking at.it's just a matter of personal preference.

traxxas-dude
02-27-2005, 12:03 PM
T-maxxes Dont Break Down All Of The Time. He Must Have Been A Bad Driver Cause Ive Had Mine For A Year And I Drive Hard And Cant Break It!!!!!!!

If you cant break it, you're babying it. I've owned 4 T-Maxxes and an E-Maxx, and I find them weak. I was constantly breaking suspension arms and bulkheads. Of course I'm not a typical basher. I acctually like to have fun with my trucks. :D

RCNewbGuy
03-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Do nitro vehicles have trim problems like electric vehicles? I know that electrics have the PCB but nitro's don't, and I thought the trim settings were from it being electric?

Fluke
03-03-2005, 11:42 AM
what problems are you talking about?

anyway trims in both nitro and electric are the same.don't know if that answers your question tho

TMaxxBenny25
03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
I have a Rustler that did that too, im selling it for a T4 by AE.