PDA

View Full Version : Toledo '05

Ron Olson
02-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Who's going this year? I plan on going down possibly on Friday and for sure on Saturday. The past few years we try to get together at around Noon where the boat display is to meet others in person.

Joe Brinduse
02-24-2005, 11:19 AM
whats the dates ?

Ron Olson
02-24-2005, 02:22 PM
April 1-3. http://www.toledoshow.com/

Joe Brinduse
02-24-2005, 08:36 PM
April 1-3. http://www.toledoshow.com/
Thank You :)

BoatDoc
02-24-2005, 09:16 PM
i really hope i can make it. i've never been to any kind of hobby event, not even a race! it'll be nice to talk shop one on one with some of the experts.

Ron Olson
02-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Just keep in mind that it is mostly an airplane show so that boaters are on the back burner there, not as bad as the 4-wheeled crowd though. Saturday is a little nuts there, it's hard to get around in some areas. Don't forget to go upstairs and check out the swap meet area, you never know what you'll find up there. Bring money! Every time that I go there low on bucks I wished that I'd brought more with me. Every time I do have money to spend there isn't much for me to buy so I hit the LHS's that aren't too far away from the Seagate Center. Remy and Troy from Aeromarine will be there and their booth is always packed. Our Forum Moderator was there somewhere last year, we didn't meet up but I did get to talk to Gerry Yarrish briefly.
We try to meet up at the same place and time every year so that it's easier to find the boaters.
Come, you'll love it! It's easy to find as it's right next door to the 5/3 (Fifth/Third Bank) Ballpark where the Toledo Mudhens play so look for the signs on the highway.

BoatDoc
03-06-2005, 07:33 PM
it just so happens that i'm going to be on leave that week. YAY ME!!! who all is going? are there any bars nearby? :eek: i think that toledo will be fun, i can't wait. of course there's the michigan race not long after that...boy i've got some driving to do. i'll be easy to spot...just look for the guy dragging his tongue on the ground because he's in shock from seeing all the stuff he can't afford. here's an idea, are there any lakes in that area? maybe we could have an unofficial "fun run" too!

Ron Olson
03-06-2005, 08:46 PM
We were going to try to combine a Fun Run a couple of years ago at a pond not too far from the Seagate. The weather this time of year can get pretty bad (one year we drove down in a blinding snowstorm) so we blew the idea off until fall.
Yeah, there are bars close by, you can even buy drinks right there but expect to pay for them. Bottles of water alone go for $2.00, a lousy hamburger is like 5 bucks so that's why a lot of us head across the river to Tony Packo's, www.tonypackos.com . I stay out of the bars, especially the "Adult" ones because my wife makes me drag the kid along plus it's a long way between rest areas on the way home.
If you need any info on the MI Cup race, I "lived" up there for a week during the '03 Internats. Not too many Bars in that town either but I know where the Party stores are. Ever listen to Nitro boats all day with a hangover? It's rough! I was working the pits all day..........

BoatDoc
03-06-2005, 09:02 PM
i'm a professional hangover artist, so i'm not too worried. anywho...i'm going to bring a boat or two with me. maybe everyone should, so that if we have weather we can go burn of some nitro and drain a few batt's just for grins.

Ron Olson
03-09-2005, 12:44 AM
I'll be wandering aimlessly wearing a T-shirt and hat from another web site (hint, they advertise in RCBM) so look for me bugging the guys at the Air Age booth or ogling the boats at the Aeromarine booth. I'm waiting to see if Matt, Steve or Rick show up this year.

RickE
03-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Ron, I won't be able to make the show this year but I'm betting Matt will be there with the AA bunch.
Rick Eyrich

Ron Olson
03-10-2005, 09:01 AM
I'll have to post some pix when I get back for those who didn't make it.
I'll be thinking of you Rick while I'm stuffing my face with Packo dogs!

BoatDoc
03-10-2005, 05:06 PM
going to toledo is part of my "getting out of the army" present to myself! that's right, after 5 1/2 years i'm done. so i'm going to toledo, and possibly the michigan nats and buying myself a new boat to celebrate. see you there ron!!! who else is going?? anyone?? c'mon guys...

Ron Olson
03-11-2005, 12:27 AM
I might take a cruise up to the MI Cup/NAMBA Electric Nats just to go bug a few people. they're a good bunch of people and I haven't seen Pete Richards of Climate Boatworks in a while, we have a blast together.
Where are you going to live once you're out?

BoatDoc
03-11-2005, 07:32 AM
i'm going to milwaukee!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 1/2 hrs from toledo. and the same for the michigan nats.

BoatDoc
03-19-2005, 09:24 AM
ok guys, it's getting closer. i'm going to try like *%$* to make it. who's going to be there??? and where are we meeting up?

Ron Olson
03-19-2005, 10:23 AM
Usually we meet up at Noon right by the static boat display (left center end of the room) down towards the Aeromarine booth.

BoatDoc
03-19-2005, 10:53 AM
which day? i should be able to make it. just look for the bald guy with excessive amounts of tattoos on his arm.

Ron Olson
03-19-2005, 11:05 AM
That really narrows it down! :D
I was looking for our Moderator there last year, he said that he was going to wear an OCC hat. I thought that I'd see a lot of them there. I only saw one, a short, old, balding hunch-backed guy that I knew wasn't Rick.
I'll try to get an updated shot of me in here so you'll know who to look for.

BoatDoc
03-29-2005, 08:20 AM
i don't think i'll be able to make it. i WILL NOT drive through chicago again!!!! and i would have to go there to make the trip. when i went through there last week i had at least 3 alignment changes in my poor little honda. i always hated driving through chicago...but it is absolutely the worst i've ever seen right now. where does all the toll money go? definitely not into the roads! have a good time at the show and i'll try to make it another time.

Ron Olson
03-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Isn't I-294 fun! I used to drive over there to go to custom car shows and some races in the Windy City area. I-94 near Detroit isn't any better. Try avoiding pot-holes at 70 MPH in bumper-to-bumper traffic. You could lose a Honda in some of those!
I went up to Wisconsin one year to visit my brother-in-law in Janesville before hitting a race in Joliet, I-294 from O'Hare north was a construction zone, what a nightmare. It makes me wonder if I really want to got to RCX this year but the Skyway isn't too bad getting to McCormack Place.

Ron Olson
03-31-2005, 01:13 PM
OK, my plans got confirmed late last night. I'll be going to Toledo early Friday AM. The attendance should be lighter so it'll be easier to get some good pix, I'm taking 2 cameras to try to cover everything. The only downside is driving home in Friday rush-hour traffic! I'll try to post some pix when I get home if I'm not too tired.