PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions, beginner here

LRL17Bob
09-21-2000, 08:09 PM
I am very interested in RC cars etc.
I am looking to buy one eventually but as this will be my first one, I need some help.
I will have limited $$ about $700 maybe 8-900 CDN. I am only a teen so a few things are going through my mind. Should I get an RTR or a kit or a used one. I am leaning towards off-road but there is only one track in town and no races on it. I am undecided between electric and gas. (Whichever is a better price) I don't know if I want to spend all of my money so a bargain buy will be my best interest.

A remote and other required acessories need to be considered as well.

I konw this is a lot of stuff to ask but I am hoping at least a few people will give me advice.

oldtimeRCer
09-21-2000, 08:43 PM
I think your right to want to go offroad it will give you more options on were to run your car. also electric is prob the better choice less hassle in getting it to run right.
here is a example for a couple ele. trucks

RC10T3 team truck $184.99
futaba mag. sport w/ ESC $99.99
trinity P2K stock motor $24.99
duratrax 1500 sport packs $15.99 each
AC/DC pirahna peak charger $34.99
Total $376.99 w/ 2 batter packs

these prices are right from towerhobbies

Traxxas stampede monster truck $104.99
same elec.
total $296.94

and if your wanting to spend up too $800.00 or $900.00 you could get a topo of the line racing set up.

by the way these are Kit's not RTR's
There is nothing wrong with RTR's but if you can do it, and have the time to do it, It is a good thing to build your own car or truck so you'll know how to fix it when you break something.

------------------
I may grow older but I'll never grow up.

R/C is a way of life

3 Tamiya TA02 Sedan's, XXT Sport, XX Sport, RC10T3, 2 Bulleads,

hpiguy
09-21-2000, 08:54 PM
Well for 700 bucks you can set yourself up very comfortably.

I might suggest this but feel free to pick other stuff.

Electric:

Stampede, AND Associated T3 (240 bucks for both, then you have super off road, on road, mild off road covered)

Any good reversible ESC with reverse disable. (Rooster, LRP. etc. 80 bucks)

Futaba AM radio. 50 bucks. With extra servo, 20 bucks.

Speedgems motor of choice 25 bucks.

Half dozen 1500 packs. 15 bucks each.

Piranha or 819 Peak charger for AC/DC operation. 40 bucks.

And you have about $250 or so left to spend on hop ups, other stuff, good touring or rally car if you want, etc. Or better yet save it for college.

Just my opinion, at least that's what I'd do if I was starting out again. Just so I'd havce a couple of cars for all purpose. I hate blowing huge wads and only having one car.

T-MAXX-ER
09-21-2000, 11:18 PM
if you go electric traxxas e-maxx is coming out in like a month 2 motors 2 battery packs pushing this thing and 4wd i hear it will cost about 360.00.

rcracer_xxxt_futaba
09-22-2000, 02:26 AM
With that much money you might want to get the best.

Teamlosi XXX-T(car kit). $200.00
Novak dually dual profile(speed control). $90.00
Futaba Magnum JR. FM (radio). $120.00
3 batteries (2000) $50.00 each
Trinity P2K (motor). $30.00
MRC superbrain 819(charger). $40.00

Toltal: $660.00

That will get you very well start in R/C RACING!

------------------
If it ain't fast, don't race IT!!!!!!!!

LRL17Bob
09-22-2000, 09:53 AM
Those all sound good. But, can a few people comment on some of those products?
I also need some info on the radios and servos, as well as engines and batteries.
I want something that will run fast and without a lot of hassle.
What are advantages and disadvantages of buggies compared to trucks? http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by LRL17Bob (edited 09-22-2000).]

Zed
09-22-2000, 01:44 PM
I just purchased my first RC vehicle (Losi XXX-NT). I was a little intimidated at first by the complexity of the kits, but the Losi instructions where great. It took me 2 late nights to put the truck together before I installed and O.S. CVR engine. I had the folks at the local track/hobby shop check it out prior to breaking in the engine just to make sure I had the drive train aligned properly. My biggest concern was the engine break in, and I had 1 problem with that. Half way through the second tank the engine died, and I couldnít even turn it over by hand with the glo plug out. I took it to the hobby shop and they tapped the piston down and said that this particular engine is very tight and to just idle through a few more tanks. I had no more engine problems after that and started to run it on the street, and it runs great. Canít wait to get home tonight to open the throttle up a little more.

Iím not sure on radios, but Airtronics CX3P Radio adjustments are straightforward.

Losi Kit $239
OS CVR Engine $159
Starter box and battery $100
Fuel $10
Misc tools $50
Airtronics CX3P Radio $169.00
TOTAL $727

Iím addicted

very low budget racer
09-22-2000, 04:09 PM
OK DID HE NOT SAY HE HAD CANADIAN MONEY NOT US, so forget about any of the things these gus said that are near 700 bucks they forgot you said canadian, im not trying to start a fight or anything so forgive me if i sound rude, anyway i think treaxxas trucks are good, go with the stampede. go to tower hobbies and put some of the reccomended stuff in your shopping cart and use the conversion sys they got there, then put what you will order so we can help you out if you forgot ne thing.

LRL17Bob
09-22-2000, 06:48 PM
I wont be getting all this for a few months.
$1 us gets $1.36 or so cdn

hpiguy
09-22-2000, 07:07 PM
My stuff was no where near 700 CDN.

And he gets two trucks.

And lots of batts to run with.

Antway it doesn't matter.

Why can't these people make their own decisions? Are we that concewrned with what people think that we'll never even meet? I buy what I want and to heck with what others think.

I thought the mag was for the reviews anyway.

StampedeShoe
09-23-2000, 03:04 PM
If your looking for fun. Go with the Stampede or the new E-Maxx that is coming. For racing i would say the Losi. They seem to be taking over local tracks. Associated only seems to be making them to win the worlds. But also i dont think that a Losi is a great beginners car. Maybe start with a stampede and get a Losi or associated.

------------------
IF IT AINT BROKE U AINT TRYIN
"The New Red Green Show"

R_C_MAN
09-23-2000, 07:01 PM
I started out with the rustler electric and it is a great truck and there are a ton of hop ups out for it including a bunch of aluminum parts.

LRL17Bob
09-23-2000, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by hpiguy:
My stuff was no where near 700 CDN.

And he gets two trucks.

And lots of batts to run with.

Antway it doesn't matter.

Why can't these people make their own decisions? Are we that concewrned with what people think that we'll never even meet? I buy what I want and to heck with what others think.

I thought the mag was for the reviews anyway.

Well HpiGuy,

Why don't you share with us exactly what you got?
It might be interesting to know and think about.
Try to give a close aproximation of the price and where you got it (retail, or online)

puller1
09-23-2000, 09:06 PM
my first car was a rc10 i got it used with everything. later on i bought a rc10t3 team i recomend getting a kit this way you will learn all about the car will putting it together.

snake_0_1
09-23-2000, 11:10 PM
from my experiance i would say to get a buggy i like the losi XXX or the or the assosiated B3 i like buggys better. i have a XXT-CR and i wish i would have got a buggy i started with a traxxes bandit and had it hoped up realy nice it would beat my dads T3 on a drag or a off road corse in my back yard traxxes is a very nice car to get started with it is very user freindly and it has many hop ups that come out every week it seems like. the reason i dont like trucks are they sit kinda high and go slower i guess it would make it better for a beginer a little more forgiveing in the turns but they also role easyer i think you will be happy with any thing you get once you get in to real cars they are all the same they may lose a little in some areas that others dont but those others lose in areas they dont ERRR that was confusing http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/confused.gif i ope i may have helped a little

------------------
YES I KNOW I CAN'T SPELL NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!

oldtimeRCer
09-24-2000, 02:33 PM
I also prefer buggies over trucks but for someone just starting out the trucks are more forgiving and easier to drive and if you go with a racing truck like a T3 or xxxt they will go just as fast as a buggy if geared right and they really don't sit much higher than a buggy either now the monster trucks do sit alot higher and will not hit the same top speeds as a racing truck but they can go places that will leave buggies and racing trucks high and dry.

------------------
I may grow older but I'll never grow up.

R/C is a way of life

3 Tamiya TA02 Sedan's, XXT Sport, XX Sport, RC10T3, 2 Bulleads,