PDA

View Full Version : Hey Nairb, question

Interceptor
07-18-2001, 11:07 PM
I have a 12VDC 12.5 amp power supply, I think I see where the power cable hooks up, but I am not sure which is positive. It only says L and N with (AC) and two -V and two +V What goes where? Thanks

bluesy
07-19-2001, 12:30 AM
The -V and +V indicate the polarity of the voltage presented at these contacts with respect to each other. Hook the negative side of your battery to -V and the positive side to +V. The ac hookups indicate N for the Neutral wire and L for the Line (or hot) side. If there is a ground lead you should hook up a 3 pronged cord to your supply with the white wire to the N, the black (or red) to the L and the green to the ground. Ground can also be to the chassis of the power supply. Good Luck. Please remember to work on all of this with all cords unplugged. I know this seems a little condescending and I don't mean it to be. Just playing safe. :D

Nairb
07-19-2001, 03:59 AM
yeah, he's right. Hook up your charger wires with red to V+ and black or blue to V-. If your AC cord has a large prong (bigger than the other), hook it the the L, and the other to the N.

Enjoy your new, low-cost power supply! :cool:

Interceptor
07-19-2001, 07:38 AM
Ok, the little antenna looking symbol must be the ground. Cool. Thanks guys.

bluesy
07-19-2001, 07:56 AM
antenna=ground.....exactly!!! enjoy!! ;) ;)

Interceptor
07-19-2001, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys, that was just what I needed to know. Does this thing get hot at all?

bluesy
07-19-2001, 11:29 AM
just had a thought .. are you going to use this to power a charger or ? I hope you aren't going to use it as a charger directly.

It might get warm but not hot. There should be about 150 watts of heat coming off it. Way less than a hair-dryer. If it gets too warm for your liking just get a computer fan and mount it on top (or in line with the vents). Hope this is some help.

Interceptor
07-19-2001, 04:31 PM
Gonna use it to power a Millenium Charger. Don't worry, I may sound a little dumb, but I ain't that crazy. After that one time when I was a kid and I hooked the two wires to a toy electric motor into the wall socket, I learned my lesson! I have a very large amount of respect for anything with the word "power" in the name. :D

Nairb
07-19-2001, 04:51 PM
hehe

Yeah, it might get warm if you are sucking lots of amps through it, especially if you run two chargers off it. I always point my computer fan at it while I'm at the track, whether it needs to be cooled or not. One suggestion: go to Radio shack and buy some small rubber feet for it.

Interceptor
07-19-2001, 09:55 PM
Just a heads up, everything is working great, no fire!!! Thanks again guys

bluesy
07-19-2001, 10:17 PM
Glad to hear all worked out well. I work with DC voltage every day (-48 V and up to 150 amps). Don't fear it just respect it. I surely didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you were doing I just over-react about that kind of thing.