PDA

View Full Version : I need a machinist's help.

malici
07-20-2001, 08:20 PM
OK, hear's what I want to do. I want to make my own set of bumper/servo mounts for my Clod because all the ones I see are either too expensive or to flimsy. I want to make someting like JPS's bump/mount's, but I want to add a set tube bumpers infront of the main part of the mount. I though about useing aluminum for this but I think I want something stronger. I then found some tune tianium I want to use for it. My question is; Can I drill the holes in this tube titanium with my dril press and a drill bit meant for cuting metal, or do I need something else, or do I just need to go to a machine shop?

Malici

If it helps any hear's a pcture of the JPS mount.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/d4daa654/bc/hobbies/JPS+Bumper.jpg?bclmTq7A5pBbVILx

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: malici ]

Nitro_Rustler_15
07-20-2001, 10:03 PM
I asked my dad (Who's a machinist), he said it should be fine as long as you keep it cool with water or something of the sort. It might be tough to do, but it will make it, hope that helped. :D

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: Nitro_Rustler_15 ]

malici
07-20-2001, 10:10 PM
That helps a lot. Thanks

Malici

GTman
07-20-2001, 10:10 PM
I'm a machinist and I say yes, you can do it. I have a few suggestions though because drilling titanium is tough. First, lock your peice real well in a vise or something. Second, if you can adjust the speed on the drill press, make it really slow. like only a couple hundred or so RPM. Lastly, use some kind of lub oil/ fluid on the drill as your doing it. you can use light duty oil or something. Olive oil might work too but I've never tried.
the reason you want to go slow on metals like ti and steel is because their so hard that the drill can't dig in to the metal if the bit is spinning too fast.
hope this helps.

GTman
07-20-2001, 10:15 PM
oh, i just remembered. if you're trying to drill round things like tube, the drill bit will wander on the surface because their flimsy. if you can, use something like a center drill( a special drill for starting holes) or a punch to make a dimple on the part-- or bang it with a nail. This dimple will make sure your drill cuts straight through the material.

bullfrog
07-20-2001, 10:20 PM
i heard it workd well to fill a tub with oil submerge the piece and the bit ( NOT THE DRILL!!!) then drill it will keep it lubed and it will keep it cool.

GTman
07-20-2001, 10:23 PM
lol, I think thats over kill-- It sure would keep the part cool though!! :)