PDA

View Full Version : aluminum alloy sheets

GTman
06-29-2000, 12:28 AM
Does anyone know where I could buy thin ( 2 - 3mm ) sheets of T6 aluminum . I am trying to do some custom work on my rc10gt . The sheets don ' t need to be big -- 1 ' x1 ' will do

any input would be appreciated .

SteveP
06-29-2000, 09:17 AM
K & S , a company that sells their products through hobby shops , offers sheets of aluminum but I don ' t know if they ' re that thick . If you don ' t have any luck through the hobby shop , check you local phone directory for scrap metal yards .

GTman
06-30-2000, 12:09 AM
Thanks Steve , I ' ll check it out .

Lead Man
07-02-2000, 12:20 AM
Also , www . mcmaster . com sells everything and anything you might need - My jaw still drag son the floor from going there !

[This message has been edited by Lead Man (edited 07-01-2000).]

Grant Tokumi
07-02-2000, 04:18 AM
A scrap metal shop like Steve mentioned or a sheet metal shop would be a good start . Sheet metal shops usually make pieces larger than what we use in our RC parts , so that means they would probably have lots of pieces that are around the 1 ' x 1 ', and they scrap them because its useless to them . Fortunately , its perfect for us . They may be willing to share some with you . Also , from what I understand , some sheet metal shop needs to have their materials VERY consistant . One batch of T6 aluminum can be different from another batch . The shop receives a whole batch of aluminum ( or whatever material they need ), when they start a job . And if they ruin enough pieces where their initial load will not be enough to finish the job , they will scrap EVERYTHING they already made up to that point with that original batch of aluminum , get a new batch and start from square one again . That means lots of scrap materials floating around . I don ' t know if all shops need to be that tight with their material specs , but if they are , then I would target those shops to spare you some scraps . I guess you just have to look around and you should be able to find something out there .

According to my friend and uncle who both wotheir materials have to be very uniform from job to job .

------------------
Grant Tokumi
R/C Archive
http://www.rcarchive.com