PDA

View Full Version : TCs are OK , but what about the rest of us ?

DerekB
07-06-2000, 02:05 PM
Gascarnut ,

You are right about some things . Yes , there is little coverage on some of the 1 / 10 & 1 / 8th scale on - road races , but there is a very logical reason for this . We try to publish what has the most popularity and interest for the readers . Currently , touring cars are all the rage , they have the most new products entering the market . That would be why we give so much attention to them .

You are also right about us not having that much experience with some of these cars . Fortunatly , we are always in search of contributors with knowledge in areas we are lacking in . If you or anybody covers a race we don ' t or does a review on a car they have and haven ' t seen it in the magazine , then right a review on it and send it to us .

With the Nitro Car Action magazine coming into full swing you maybe surprised that our coverage of 1 / 10 & 1 / 8th scale . Thanks for the suggestions .

- Staff

Gascarnut
07-07-2000, 12:26 AM
This is a question for the editorial staff : I ' m sure everyone knows that Touring Cars , especially Nitro , are the hot thing in RC these days , but there are other areas of RC that are getting little to no coverage in your magazine . Specifically I ' m thinking of 1 / 10 and 1 / 8 on - road . One example : last year ' s 1 / 8 World Championships event got a quarter page report . In the same issue there was a three or four page report on some Local Hobby Shop event in Southern California . I can ' t remember when there was last an article on an on - road 1 / 10 or 1 / 8 car , or a . 15 or a . 21 engine review . And what about 1 / 5 scale ? Those cars are being ignored completely .
From what you guys write , you probably don ' t have much experience in these types of cars , but do you have plans to improve in this area , or should we just accept that if we aren ' t into . 12 engines and TCs then we ' re wasting our bucks on subscriptions ?

Nicks $700.00 Pede
07-08-2000, 01:18 AM
I just wanted to say cars su #$ since we cant say bad quotes on this , oh well . trucks rule pede is the best , that is all , Nick :>)

" I SWEAR MY PEDE DIDNT SEE YOUR CAR " : D

DeSmet Spartan
07-08-2000, 09:27 AM
You shouldn ' t knock on something until you have tried it .

------------------
St . Louis RAMS
Super Bowl Champions

[This message has been edited by DeSmet Spartan (edited 07-08-2000).]

Nicks $700.00 Pede
07-08-2000, 09:41 AM
i dont know what desmets saying but i own a tc and i know what theyre like , Nick :>)

" I SWEAR MY PEDE DIDNT SEE YOUR CAR " : D

red20
07-09-2000, 01:28 AM
Im quite agree on the matter that there is not enough coverage . BUT , i do understand why . Simply , not enough staffs that capable on certain car type or scale and publishing do concentrate on the popular topic . I agree that .

Like me , totally living on the opposite world ( GMT + 8 ), but i still buy every month RC Car Action mags . It lacks on Tamiya coverage but i still gain on the other products , though sometimes , i know nothing what they talking about . I just go for the general tips , maintenance , tricks and mere wanna read the up - to - date news on the R / C World .

Just do this , DO NOT STOP PUBLISHING THE MAGS . It ' s my life now . http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/smile.gif

DerekB
07-10-2000, 09:30 AM
Red20
Thanks , we won ' t stop . I found it funny that you said we don ' t cover Tamiya products that much . Some people say that was all we covered . It just goes to show that people have different opinions .

Where is GMT + 8 ?

Keep reading ..... Derek

rcconcept
07-11-2000, 01:22 AM
I ` m a Canadain reader & I would like to see more converage of canadian events !

BAC5.2
02-22-2002, 04:50 PM
i think the 1/5th scale scene is being ignored simply for the fact that it is very expensive to get started in it.

i also have to say that RCCA is a magazine. it may be made and geared for us RC'ers, but it is still a magazine and it still needs to make money, so for that, it must do articles on the popular parts of the hobby in order to sell more issues.

because believe it or not, there are some RC'ers out there that toss their cars around like Toy's R Us peices of crap, and there are those that just say "damn that thing looks to be expensive". its similar to the sport import scene. granted that I see several examples of these cars that people spend alot of money on and they actually do haul, but there are also those that buy a toyota tercel and get the biggest exhaust tip and biggest spoiler they can find so people think its fast, thats exactly what this hobby is like, there are the few of us that get what makes the car faster and there are more that get what makes it look faster and more expensive. when was the last time you bought a package of stickers for your car/truck to make people think that you are actually running what you have a sticker for?

example: i saw a sport import driving around the other day, sticker said "got boost" it was a toyota MR2 (old style). that thing had the biggest exhaust tip around (killing your performance btw, to little backpressure), a wing taller than the roof of the car, AND, it looked really bad, to top it off? it had Summit Racing stickers (they do not cater to the sport compact scene), Flowmaster stickers, and a K&N FIPK sticker on the window. i know for a fact that that exhaust was not made by Flowmaster, there was no turbo (the large exhaust would have to little back pressure to power a turbo), there was still that blow off sound (they make a kit that is an under the hood mounted speaker for the blow off), there was no FIPK whine, and i'll be damned if they bought anything from summit other than the stickers for their toy.

does anyone see where im coming from? i buy RCCA for parts and kit reviews, i dont really pay attention to the races. if RCCA does an article about a new car, be it TC, MT, or Buggy, i'll probabally buy it, if they do an article about cheap mod's for your TC, i'll buy it and see if any of those will relate to my car.

in conclusion, is it really worth it to argue about 1/5th scale cars not getting enough coverage, or Tamiya not getting coverage in a mag. that costs you 5 bucks a month off the news stand?

i think the benefits of the mag greatly outweigh the hinderances of it. alot of the population is more concerned with making their rig go faster or handle better than they are with who won the IMFAR champs or which hobby shop a country away (im from MD, and most of the articles in the mag have to do about CA) has the best club races.

thank you for your time, and i hope one of you realizes my point.

i would also like to quickly add that RCCA is still the best RC mag out there, and i will still buy it because their projects more than inspire me to do something productive with my time.

Skribble
02-22-2002, 06:35 PM
LOL Clod Killer. That's why I'm saving up for a Thunder Tech Racing Ripper/Tremor or a JPS Pro Chassis. ;)