PDA

View Full Version : Grant Tokumi, website update ?

jeepinator
06-01-2001, 03:35 AM
Dude, your website rocks. It has been on my web page as a link for like 4 years.

Has the website been abandoned ?
The movies are pretty cool.

Cheers

Grant Tokumi
06-01-2001, 03:59 PM
hahaha. Thanks for the compliments jeepinator. Sorry, you won't be seeing new movies on my R/C Archive (http://www.rcarchive.com) website any time soon. Unless I get some good raw footage from someone that is. I lost my resources to digitize video. So I guess you can say its been somewhat abandoned. I do however, still receive daily emails and actively respond to those.

I made that site back when I was in college. Worked at a Multimedia department at school so the employees had to "test" the equipment such as video cameras, scanners and video digitizing stations, and be familiar with software like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere. Thats our justification anyways. We all goofed around learning and making homepages, and got paid for it! :) And my website and most of those movies on there are the result. :). Those were the good ole days. :)

Whats the URL to your website?

[ 06-01-2001: Message edited by: Grant Tokumi ]

jeepinator
06-01-2001, 08:34 PM
Well, I am not supposed to post my website (listed under, "Things that make you go hmmm...), but SINCE YOU ASKED ... :)

http://www.theshreves.com/rc_stuff/rc_main.htm

Please forgive me folks, for I have sinned :p

Orange Pedeanaut
06-01-2001, 11:12 PM
Hey Grant, I emailed you about your site a few days ago ;) He gave me the reply "havent updated in 5 years" lol :D

Grant Tokumi
06-02-2001, 08:51 PM
Jeepinator, you're the guy with the brushless Aveox. I forgot until I went back and searched for that thread where Trinity is supposedly condemning or scared of the brushless motors by Novak.

I'm on the lookout for some good motors/tranny setups that would be compatible for a future Battlebot entry. I was looking into 4 strong Astroflight motors, but perhaps Aveox might be a consideration, won't have to gear down as much with brushless. I'll keep that in mind. 4 Aveox setups would be $800. Wow. And I thought it was Proline that would wipe out my bank account :). However, I was also ready to drop ~$200 per Astroflight motor too (without a speed control), so Aveox would actually be cheaper. You think 4 Aveox motors can drive around 50 lbs of robot? Plus push around another 50 lb robot? Thinking about my 8 lb clodbuster with 2 motors, I didn't think 4 normal size rc motors could drive a 50 lb rc car. Aveox is stronger, but do you think that much stronger to be a good choice?

I saw your hiking page too on Mt. St Helens. Nice pictures. Quite an accomplishment. I'm a somewhat avid backpacker/hiker myself. And like you, I have a hiking website too. At the risk of making people go "hmmmmm":

http://www.rcarchive.com/hhg/

You don't happen to be into aquariums and fish ponds too are you? :) haha, hike safe.

I saw your email orange pedeanaut. Make that 4 years ago. :)

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: Grant Tokumi ]

The_Ne-Go-She-Ate-r
06-02-2001, 11:57 PM
Grant, dude i love your web site. To this day i check it out. I have a question for you. Ive seen the tenth tech prediter on there. Where did you get that picture? Do you know where i can find more?
Thanks

The_Ne-Go-She-Ate-r
06-03-2001, 12:00 AM
One more thing . If your looking for some VERY nice brushless systems, go to www.maxxtraxx.com (http://www.maxxtraxx.com) on the brushless board. Talk to mike, he owns modeltech. These motors are very nice.

jeepinator
06-04-2001, 08:28 PM
Wow, I think the Pu'u Manamana hike is for me ! I like the scary ones. There are a few here in the Columbia River Gorge (Between Washington and Oregon) similar to that.
Hehe, too bad I have never been to the islands. I've only ever seen it on Hawaii Five O ! ;) LOL! (OK that probably was not funny to you).

Anyway, YES 4 aveox motors will easily push around 100 lbs ... asssuming you have low rolling resistance. I have the 1409 3Y motor. With the maximum cells (I think 18), it produces over 700 watts of power. That is just shy of ONE HORSEPOWER ! So, with 4 in there, that would be bonkers. You would be robonator with an attitude :p
Remember that each motor requires it's own controller. This is how it works in brushless land, at least for now. Actually, based on what I know about brushless systems, two motors on one controller will never happen.
While there are other options for brushless equipment, I strongly suggest Aveox. They have been doing it WAY longer than anyone else. I have called them a few times and spoken with the owner about technical issues. See if you can call Novak and talk with Bob ... hehehe NOT.
Also, they have a HUGE assortment of controllers and motors, not just one. You actually do not want a motor designed for RC cars (mine is kinda on the border area here, being that the 1409 is a larger can and 3Y fairly low RPM wise). You could get two of the 1412 series, like a 1412 4Y. TONS and TONS of torque and low RPM would make it easy to design your drive train. They parallel brushed motors pretty closely (fewer turns means less efficiency, more RPM, less torque, but overall more power).
Their web site has all the details. Plus, you can call them, they are great !
My monster truck is even on their web page (the 3rd generation, I am now on the 4th).
The ONLY ground based RC on there ;) Check it out HERE (http://www.aveox.com/airplanealbum.html)

I hope this helps.

Grant Tokumi
06-05-2001, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the insights jeepinator. I think Aveox has just replaced Astro flight for my #1 choice of power plant. I figured I need 4 speed controls, but I'm hoping I can at least control 2 speed controls/motors with one channel by using a Y-splitter to connect the 2 speed controls into one channel in the receiver.

Wow, lots of choices on their website. I don't know whats what. I'll have to call to see what would be a good choice for me. I'm shooting for 24 volts, and currently thinking 4 motors over 2 based on seeing 2 motor robots lose power to one whole side after just one wheel gets smashed/jammed, and the robot can only go in circles after that. The drawback of 4 motors/speed control, is more things to go wrong. I remember seeing the development of the Boeing 777 on TLC. Boeing said some flyers are scared because only 2 engines on the 777s, unlike 4 engines on the 747s. But Boeing chose 2 engines because they said twice as much engines means twice as much problems. That was an interesting point and stuck in my head. However, I'm going against Boeing's research and currently going the 747 route with 4 motors.

Negotiator, I took the picture of that tenth tech predator during one of the local races. I had to ask one of the racers what kind of car that was. I don't know where to find them, and haven't heard anything about that models in a long time. The term "Darwin theory" comes to mind :)