PDA

View Full Version : hooked radio battery up backwards-HELP

buggieracer
12-31-2000, 08:11 PM
I just bought a brand new futuba 3pdf radio and hooked the nicad battery up in reverse.I smelled something fry and now it wont work,has anyone ever done this?Is this going to be an expensive repair or was it just some sort of protection device that fried to save the rest of the radio?

Distro
12-31-2000, 10:36 PM
Try the radio with dry cells, hopefully you just nuked the nicads otherwise you tosted the radio.

Nairb
01-01-2001, 04:30 AM
Are you talking about NiCds for the Radio itself or batteries for the reciever (in a gas-powered car)?

Minola
01-02-2001, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by buggieracer:
I just bought a brand new futuba 3pdf radio and hooked the nicad battery up in reverse.I smelled something fry and now it wont work,has anyone ever done this?Is this going to be an expensive repair or was it just some sort of protection device that fried to save the rest of the radio?

Minola
01-02-2001, 07:38 PM

Minola
01-02-2001, 07:49 PM
I just bought a brand new futuba 3pdf radio and hooked the nicad battery up in reverse.I smelled something fry and now it wont work,has anyone ever done this?Is this going to be an expensive repair or was it just some sort of protection device that fried to save the rest of the radio?Hey It sounds as if you have fried your internal circuits. Best advice is to send it back to Hobbie services. Here is the address: Futaba Service Center
1610 Interstate Drive
Champaign, Il 61822
Phone# 217-398-0007 Call Them and tell them what you did. They may repair it or replace it with a new one. Their labor charge is only $35 per hour. This radio is not cheap at $200 so if the maintaince cost outweighs the actual cost then ask them to just give you a new one for the trade in value of the radio. Depending on your budget of course.

Grant Tokumi
01-03-2001, 04:02 PM
I did the exact same thing on my JR756 (transmitter). Fortunately, when I opened up the radio, there was a fuse in there that blew, thus saving the rest of the electronics. I changed the fuse and the radio has been fine ever since. And now I REALLY check that polarity before I plug the battery pack into the radio. Sorry I can't say for sure if your radio has one, but if Futaba was smart (and they sure seem smart), they would have installed a fuse in there. I would try and open up your radio and see if there is some sort of fuse in there that fried and saved your electronics. If a fuse did blow, make sure you replace the fried one with one with the same amperage.