PDA

View Full Version : Brushes and Springs? Need Help!

LosiMan3456
01-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Ok I need to replace my brushes but dont know which ones to get. What is the difference between two different brushes. Same with the springs. Could anyone just tell me the "Rule of Thumb"? Oh BTW I will be changing them on Stock motors. Oh one more question, can I use different brands of brushes and springs on different brands of motors. For Example: Trinity Brushes and Springs on a Team Orion Motor or something like that. Thanks!

XXXER
01-06-2001, 04:06 PM
Yes, you can, i suggest the reedy #767 brushes, or trinity E-brushes(4499), but reedy's are better. Springs, the stiffer, the more torque produced from your motor, the lighter tension spring, more RPM's, i use stiff on one side, and softer on the other, when my brushes are new, but after a few runs, i will change to stiffer on the lighter side, so near amount of torque/RPM's are produced

dockman
01-06-2001, 06:29 PM
You can mix brushes/motors from various companies.
Before you choose a brush what motor are you using? Is it a normal or a pro version? What type of running are you doing? Are you just running around at home or are you racing at a track. The brushes named above are good for racing but they are harder on the com which means more maintenance. Do you have access to a com lathe to true the com? If not your better off with a softer brush like the soft japan brush that comes in the trinity motors (not the pro versions). They dont give as much power but they are easy on the com so you can get by just using motor spray and a com stick for a longer time.

LosiMan3456
01-06-2001, 07:49 PM
Ok I am running a P2K Pro and Paradox Pro. I race both motors. I just moved up from novice to buggy stock and want to be competitive(although brushes and springs wont make a big diff. Well a little one I guess.) My LHS will true your motor for u for like 3 dollars so that is not a problem. How often should I have my motor trued? when I am racing and all. Or when will I know? Can u tell by looking at the motor? Hey XXXER I dont get what u mean by softer and harder on one side. Could u explain a little more?

XXXER
01-08-2001, 06:25 PM
I meant by the ounce rating, like, there are 9 oz. black, and i think it is 12 oz. purple ones, that is what i mean

J mAn
01-08-2001, 06:32 PM
i have 2 p2k pro motors and a d4. I keep hearing good stuff about the reedy 767 brushes. Are they good for off-road and will they wear down the comm. alot?

LosiMan3456
01-08-2001, 07:36 PM
So every pair new pair of brushes and springs I get I have to Break in? even if I have already broken in the bushings and stuff?

Grizzbob
01-08-2001, 08:49 PM
To jmAn: Yes, the 767's are an excellent all-around brush(I'd only use them on stocks, though, the stand-up version of it could be put in a mod, but it would wear out INCREDIBLY quickly & take the comm with it), but it is a high-wear brush. As a rule of thumb, I change out my brushes after every race day(4-6 runs), as they tend to lose their edge after that point.... http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/smile.gif

Grizzbob
01-08-2001, 08:53 PM
LosiMan3456, yes, you need to break-in the brushes every time you replace them, they need a chance to match their shape to the comm surface, that's when they'll produce their best power. If you can put together a 4 cell battery pack(just use an old pack you have lying around), simply solder some leads with alligator clips to it, & put a comm drop on each brush, then hook up the pack to it for about 30-40 seconds(sometimes more or less, depending on the brush), & then it should be ready to roll. Also, in case you weren't sure, it's also a good idea to retrue your comm every time you change brushes too..... http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/smile.gif