PDA

View Full Version : What Scale To Get For the Girlfriend?

soulstice
07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
I'd like to get my girlfriend into R/C by getting her some gear. I'll probably getting two of my good friends some stuff too. But the thing that's really proving difficult is what scale to go with.

The ones that I'm deciding between are:
1/10 tamiya electric (have 5 of my own)
1/18 hpi micro (have one)
1/28 kyosho mini-z (have zero)

Now I didn't know this before hand but the cost is pretty comparable across the board which I think is ridiculous but that's another discussion so lets not worry about cost at this point.

Currently I'm thinking about trying the mini-z because I want to get a nice track (http://www2.mini-zracer.com/gallery/RCP-Tracks) which I think will raise the competitiveness and fun factor. I also like the long run times which is my beef with 1/10.

In anycase, I'd like to hear what some of your experiences have been with the various scales in the attempt to get friends and SO's into the hobby.

Silent Scope
07-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Wow thats awesome.. your giving your friends RC cars? Maybe you should let them try your 5 1/10th ones first just to see if they like it..

4DMNYC
07-21-2005, 11:57 AM
I bought my g/f a mini-t to get her into the hobby and that lasted for about a minute. At first she liked it, she went and got herself a baha beetle body, painted it gray with pink flames and drove that for a week. Now it just sits on the shelf collecting dust.

Fluke
07-21-2005, 12:06 PM
well i got a friend who has a 1/8th buggy and she really likes it.it all depends on the person.let them try your tamiya like the guy above suggested.(sorry,too lazy to scroll up)

soulstice
07-21-2005, 12:07 PM
I bought my g/f a mini-t to get her into the hobby and that lasted for about a minute. At first she liked it, she went and got herself a baha beetle body, painted it gray with pink flames and drove that for a week. Now it just sits on the shelf collecting dust.

Yeah, that's a concern. But I do the same thing. I've been out of the hobby for 3 years or so and am just getting back into it again.

My GF likes to make things so I thought this would be a fun thing we could do together. She's definitely interested but hopefully it lasts more than a week.

thewarrenator
07-21-2005, 12:10 PM
im not sure if id get my gf a rc car, but the friends wouldnt be a bad idea. id just make sure they would like it.

DCLXVI
07-21-2005, 01:14 PM
My GF likes to make things so I thought this would be a fun thing we could do together. She's definitely interested but hopefully it lasts more than a week.

Get her a crawler, on those you can go really creative...

erock1331
07-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Dont get her one, you crazy dude?? !!!
R/C should be for alone time and time with friends.
Chicks consume enough of our time, lol

People always ask me if my G/f races with me - Answer - NO
Then they ask, does she come to the track - Answer - No I don't invite her.

Unless she's a tomboy I highly doubt she's gonna be into R/C, unless she really is just doing it for you, which i don't think people should have to fake liking things for another.
thats my take

sorry to sound rash, but once you get a bit older, time away is golden !!
out

4DMNYC
07-21-2005, 01:30 PM
and that about sums it up folks

rocknbil
07-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Hmm I can't wait until 'Becca and RChica, Kitty (among others) sees erock's post.

My wife digs RC (http://www.rc-resources.com/RockinBil), and beleive me, she no "tomboy." lol . . .

Anyway soulstice do what every woman loves, take her shopping. Let her figure out what she likes and just give her tech advice. Sometimes you gotta let the woman drive. :D

Fluke
07-21-2005, 02:28 PM
don't forget kitty ;) :D

erock1331
07-21-2005, 02:32 PM
xxxxx

Piggy89373
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Anyway soulstice do what every woman loves, take her shopping. Let her figure out what she likes and just give her tech advice. Sometimes you gotta let the woman drive. :D
Now that's the voice of experience, something that's learned "when you get a bit older."

If you get the chance, take her to the track during a race day and during a non-race day. Let her see the different vehicles out there and see how she responds. Then, take her shopping. Time spent running your cars/trucks/buggies together is much more valuable than time apart.

TC3Racer
07-21-2005, 02:36 PM
my girlfriend thinks my 1/8th scale buggies are cute (until i fired it up - now its "too loud").

I was driving my T4 around a bit and she really liked it. She ended up bugging me alot so i bought her a T4 RTR and she likes driving it every now and then when i drive mine.

I definitely thing 1/10th scale electric ST's are a good starting point. They are versatile, durable and cheap to fix. Plus tons of people have 'em so its easy to get info on and look for aftermarket parts.

4DMNYC
07-21-2005, 02:42 PM
my girlfriend thinks my 1/8th scale buggies are cute (until i fired it up - now its "too loud").

LOL....I get that all the time...."Hey babe, check out my new Buggy!"
"Thats nice dear..very cute"
"Hey babe, come outside and check out my buggy!"
"It's too loud dear...go down the block or something." :rolleyes:

4DMNYC
07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
erock...good thing you edited your post (#12) :mad:
Insulting people like that is just not tolerated.

Oh BTW, bill...I never let the woman drive :p ...j/k of course.

erock1331
07-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Actually I never meant it as an insult, just an obersavtion.

But after re-reading my post I could see how someone could take offense.
It's a hobby, no sense starting a war over a tatselest post on my part

rocknbil
07-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Meh. It's just the internet. But some girls will be round soon . . . .hehe . . .

bholio
07-21-2005, 03:36 PM
I'd go with a 1/10 Traxxas Rustler. Stadium trucks are great beginner cars. The Rustler is durable and easy to drive and comes RTR. Unlike your Tamiyas, they are inexpensive and easy to get parts for. There are also a ton of hopups for it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Tamiyas and personally own a number of them, but Traxxas is hands down better for parts availability and price (assuming you are in the US).

Or get a Bandit or Stampede if a buggy or MT is preferred.

I have a Rustler, Stampedes and Bandit. Many parts interchange between the 3 and they are all quite durable.

Maybe investigate the Duratrax evader family. They seem to come well equipped. I don't own any Duratrax, so I can't say for sure.

ElectricThunder
07-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Dont get her one, you crazy dude?? !!!

Unless she's a tomboy I highly doubt she's gonna be into R/C, unless she really is just doing it for you, which i don't think people should have to fake liking things for another.
thats my take

out

O boy wait till RCchica, Becca, and Kitty come 'round here... :eek:

Soulstice- Get an Iwaver for her. They're about 90 bucks, come with servos that aren't integrated, you can upgrade the whole Receiver/ESC board to use hotter motors, they seem like a good bang for the buck, and I'm sure run time is great. Same size as a Mini-Z as well. That's my suggestion. :)

chevy camaro
07-21-2005, 05:13 PM
i am sill trying to pry my rustler out of my wifes hands i want it back lol

Becca
07-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I've always loved r/c cars, when I was a little kid my favorite toy was a remote control "Smokey and the Bandit" r/c car from Radio Shack, of all places. I drove that thing to death. I still have it, basically in one piece, right on my shelf. :p

An ex-boyfriend got me set up with one of his old 1/10 off-road nitros (HPI Rush) and I learned how to drive and wrench on that. I got into the racing, and once I was good enough to beat all the 12 year old kids ;) I started playing around with his 1/8th buggy. When he bought a new one, I inherited the old one! And started racing 1/8th nitro. I had some fun. The best was one year for Valentine's Day, he got me a new r/c engine, lol. :D For one Christmas he got me the GS Storm Pro Kit, and I put it together, from the ground up, myself. Actually, I really had fun doing that, now I want to do that again! Anyone have a buggy they want me to assmble?!?! Lol.

So find out if there's a certain size and model she is most interested in and start there. If she isn't sure, I would recommend a 1/10 scale, either electric or nitro. But I would go for off-road definitely, it's so much more fun to rocket off of jumps and run through swamps, haha.

'Becca

soulstice
07-21-2005, 06:28 PM
O boy wait till RCchica, Becca, and Kitty come 'round here... :eek:

Soulstice- Get an Iwaver for her. They're about 90 bucks, come with servos that aren't integrated, you can upgrade the whole Receiver/ESC board to use hotter motors, they seem like a good bang for the buck, and I'm sure run time is great. Same size as a Mini-Z as well. That's my suggestion. :)

I've was thinking about the iWavers but have heard mixed reviews of the chassis quality. Have you been happy with your purchase? I've seen them on overseas sites for as low as $40 which makes it hard to go wrong.

I just ordered some iWaver mclaren F1 bodies and accessories off ebay so even through I don't have a iWaver/Mini-Z chassis yet it looks like I'm kinda committing anyways. Oh well.

soulstice
07-21-2005, 06:34 PM
So find out if there's a certain size and model she is most interested in and start there. If she isn't sure, I would recommend a 1/10 scale, either electric or nitro. But I would go for off-road definitely, it's so much more fun to rocket off of jumps and run through swamps, haha.

'Becca

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I live in Manhattan so there's no swamps or hills to go flying off of which is why I've been sticking to on-road cars for the past few years.

I'd like to take her shopping(and get myself some goodies of course :D ) but there aren't any good R/C stores here either. You'd think there would be in a city like NYC. I guess I'll have to do some more research on a good shop since i've done all my r/c shopping online for the past few years.

ryanD
07-21-2005, 07:06 PM
N.Y.C hobbies is in glendale, New York. the web site is www.nychobbies.com , i dont know how far that is from new york city, i live in delaware, but i saw this ad so i posted it here for you, also buckner hobbies is in new york, there is 3 shops all in new yourk. www.brucknerhobbies.com .enjoy

4DMNYC
07-21-2005, 07:32 PM
There's an awesome hobby shop right on 30th between 8th & 9th
http://www.ahc1931.com/

BTW..I'm in Staten Island, come on over anytime and bash with us, we're out almost every weekend, you and the mrs. are more than welcome.

Also, if you come to SI, there's a great hobby shop here too, actualy there's three of them, but I go to www.brownieshobbies.com

Hit me with a PM if you want to bash

Tom

Becca
07-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I live in Manhattan so there's no swamps or hills to go flying off of which is why I've been sticking to on-road cars for the past few years.

I am in Manhattan just about every other weekend :D I grew up in NYC but have lived all over the country, just moved back up here from Florida (lots of off-road r/c out there) and haven't seen a lot of outdoors tracks here. As for hobby stores, my friend's store is here --> http://www.hobbymasters.com/ It's actually in my neighborhood. Some r/c people over here, mostly on-road, but at least it's something :)

I'll definitely let you know if I find any r/c enclaves in the metro area :D

4DMNYC where are you?!?! :cool:

'Becca

ElectricThunder
07-21-2005, 09:08 PM
I've was thinking about the iWavers but have heard mixed reviews of the chassis quality. Have you been happy with your purchase? I've seen them on overseas sites for as low as $40 which makes it hard to go wrong.

I just ordered some iWaver mclaren F1 bodies and accessories off ebay so even through I don't have a iWaver/Mini-Z chassis yet it looks like I'm kinda committing anyways. Oh well.
I don't have one (yet...:D) because I'm in the US, and don't want to order overseas. If I get one before you, I'll be sure you let you know. You can always check out tinyrc.com and see if you can dig something up from there, they usually have a lot of stuff on anything well....tiny?:D

thewarrenator
07-21-2005, 10:43 PM
quote: Dont get her one, you crazy dude?? !!!

thats my take

out
:unquote

exactly me and you think the same

RCchica
07-22-2005, 12:47 PM
hate to break it to ya thewarrenator... Im not a tomboy, and I love RC.

And also, Im not doing it because of my boyfriend.yes, he does race, but I have been racing for about 3 years, which is before I met him.

Once I was told that guys dont like girls racing because they dont want their egos killed by getting beat by a girl. three words...get over it.

ElectricThunder
07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
hate to break it to ya thewarrenator... Im not a tomboy, and I love RC.

And also, Im not doing it because of my boyfriend.yes, he does race, but I have been racing for about 3 years, which is before I met him.

Once I was told that guys dont like girls racing because they dont want their egos killed by getting beat by a girl. three words...get over it.

^^^ She's definitely no tomboy. RCchica's purdy. Hehehehe! (I think I just opened up a can of worms.. :eek: ) But anyways, the word OWNED comes to mind.... :p

Edit: Last time I saw her race stats she was romping all over a ton of guys btw. Ok, NOW I'm done. :)

jimbow
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
haha! nice one Chica.... Dis!

Fluke
07-22-2005, 02:13 PM
happy now?you've pissed off a redhead.never piss off a redhead.:p:D

thewarrenator
07-22-2005, 02:38 PM
exactly, you raced before you met him making it ok. i didnt say you were a "tomboy" either. i would just not introduce it to my girlfriend. id happily take her to races IF she raced. id introduce this hobby to friends who are girls but not my girlfriend. i dont mind girls racing. i think its better that girls are getting into this hobby anyways.

thewarrenator
07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
o and by the way, i dont race very much jimbow so i dont have anything to get over. that couldnt have been to me.

jimbow
07-22-2005, 02:56 PM
me? I didnt tell anyone to get over anything. Bye the way, you're digging yourself deeper by your "i dont mind girls racing" and "you raced before you met him making it ok" comments. Again with the air of superiority.

Fluke
07-22-2005, 02:58 PM
and now the great question.
why wouldn't you introduce rc to your girlfriend?

Fluke
07-22-2005, 02:59 PM
jimbow,stop picking on him

jimbow
07-22-2005, 03:03 PM
as i said in my other post, i'm done.

streetracer
07-22-2005, 05:59 PM
RChica, you are absolutly Gorgous. UUhhh..And no tomboy. Also, if your still looking for RC's, let ur fingers do the walking. You got places like towerhobbies.com, and so on. :)

Silent Scope
07-22-2005, 09:12 PM
You had it coming RCchicka by posting your pic on a 99.9% male forum lol

Fluke
07-23-2005, 02:48 PM
yeah but we are just a few enlighted ones who saw her picture;)

so that's how it is to be an illuminati :p

Legend_Car
07-23-2005, 03:26 PM
its not hard to find her pic on the site

rocknbil
07-23-2005, 04:01 PM
I think your percentages are off Scope. More women would come here and post, ad there's a lot of them lurking about, but they're a bit put off by the attitude. RC is mostly male dominated because that's the stigma we create. Imagine what would happen if you had the same attitude toward minorities.

My wife loves RC'ing, we run both electrics and nitros at least once a week on our practice track, and I tried to get her to race at the local track one day. We sat in the car and she just watched some of these guys . . . needless to say we drove away with her thinking there's no way I'm going to get on a track with those swinging "sticks." She was totally put off by the rediculous serousness and attitudes.

So those of you that want to keep women out of RC'ing - my hat's off to you, it's working! :D

loopy
07-23-2005, 04:11 PM
In my experience the girls love tamiya rover mini coopers.( my wife included)

Maybe its cause they are "cute" :D

Our mini grade now has a 50/50 male female split.

If your going to be racing onroad and your local club runs them why not show her one of them.

Fluke
07-23-2005, 04:23 PM
She was totally put off by the rediculous serousness and attitudes.

there's a reason to that.
where they see fun,we males see pride.that's why there is fewer women in sports(ok maybe 49% of sportmen are women but you get the point).when a sport was originally to have fun,we overdo it.one day a dude got the idea of kicking a ball around.we came up with fifa.see what i mean?and too much competition removes the fun so i guess we need a more feminin approach in sports in general

gee look what you have done to me,i'm a feminist now :eek:

rocknbil
07-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Well, competition and attitude are not the same thing.

loopy
07-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by rocknbil
She was totally put off by the rediculous serousness and attitudes.

I can understand that.
A lot of people at racing come across as very arrogant. It puts new ppl off straight away.
No one likes being a newby at a club where the ppl are standoffish.

Fluke
07-23-2005, 04:38 PM
...with their beerbelly and trucker hats and who think you are stoopid cause you are younger or can't spell stupid right :mad:

RCchica
07-24-2005, 06:27 PM
You had it coming RCchicka by posting your pic on a 99.9% male forum lol

I dont even remember what pic I put up here and when.

LandSharkGT
07-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Dunno! But don't get her a bathroom scale! She will kill you even if you tell her it will do 0-200 in a few seconds!
Bill

desfjr1300
07-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Dunno! But don't get her a bathroom scale! She will kill you even if you tell her it will do 0-200 in a few seconds!

Ha! Good one!

Soulstice, my personal vote would be for the 1/10th scale-As you know the mini's steer much quicker than the bigger scales and can be a handful to get around a track. I've got a soft spot for Tamiya's and the tt-01 chassis' are dirt cheap and tough as nails, perfect for a beginner. Let us know what you (she ;)) decide on......

Fluke
07-25-2005, 07:58 AM
I dont even remember what pic I put up here and when.

who cares what she look like anyway?

erock1331
07-25-2005, 12:17 PM
and now the great question.
why wouldn't you introduce rc to your girlfriend?

It's not that women shouldn't race, I have competed on the national and local level with females which I think is awesome.

I just simply wouldn't want my girlfriend to race and/or be invloved in my R/C.
The reason is simple, I typically spend 6 our of 7 days a week with her.
But my time out with the guys is usually spent at the track and then we all go out to dinner. I would much rather spend my time with the boys at the track than at the bar with my other guy friends who don't race.

Legend_Car
07-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Bill

lol nice