PDA

View Full Version : Returning to the hobby, seeking help :)

Tyrael1986
07-29-2005, 08:49 PM
hey guys, i found this forum on google search and its awsome! ive been wanting to get back into the hobby for along time and never got around to it, but i think now is a good time to start looking for options. i have about 200 bucks to put into a car/truck and would like to know what you think would be a good start. i want something that i can buy then continue to upgrade making it better and better. or something that is just really good right out of the box. right now i have a old school tamiya blackfoot that i have had for ages. but im missing a few key parts. i would like to think that purchasing a twin detonator would be a good idea. but i hear they are hard to work on. im leaning more twards getting a truck because i like to play in the grass and dirt mounds behind me house. but my blackfoot just didnt cut it most of the time. i want something electric for sure. nitro powered cars just seem to much hassel to me. it took my friend about 45 minutes to get his started after it had set in his garage for 3 months. i dont want to go through that. so anyway before i rant on even longer, feel free to toss opinions at me! thanks!

-Darrell

ryanD
07-29-2005, 09:09 PM
hello, welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the boards! i would not count out nitro there not that much of a hassle if you know how to take care of them. Your friends car im sure would be a hassle to start after sitting for 3 months, more then likely it still had fuel in it. Thats not good for it and would make it hard to start. A pretty popular electric monster truck is the traxxas E-maxx. i dont have one but they look pretty nice. heres a link http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVS28**&P=ML . hope this helps and welcome back!

ryan

ron1431
07-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Are you looking for a rtr or a kit?

Farwar
07-29-2005, 09:18 PM
ryan he wants to spend $200. You might need to spend $20 extra and you can get at T4 rtr( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHXM2&P=0 ) which is a good truck and can be upgraded. There is a evader which is cheaper ( http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXJ49**&P=0 ). Also you have to buy batteries and a charger to get it running. Hope it helps.

Tyrael1986
07-29-2005, 09:46 PM
well, i have 3 or 4 7.2 volt battery packs left over from my blackfoot. ive also got a nice futaba 2-channel radio. the only things im really lacking is a nice working truck :) and rtr or not it doesnt really matter just depends on the deal and what i get. thanks for the fast replies! anyone else got any thoughts?

EDIT: looked at the E-Maxx link, thats a really nice truck. does anyone have some better pictures? maybe some modefied ones aswell?

EDIT2: checked out the other links. all awsome stuff.

SS Pede
07-29-2005, 09:52 PM
well, i have 3 or 4 7.2 volt battery packs left over from my blackfoot. ive also got a nice futaba 2-channel radio. the only things im really lacking is a nice working truck :) and rtr or not it doesnt really matter just depends on the deal and what i get. thanks for the fast replies! anyone else got any thoughts?

Give the Traxxas Stampede (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVK75**&P=ML) a look. Inexpensive, durable, upgradeable, and fun. It will tip over more easily than a stadium truck like the T4, mind you, but it's monster truck design makes is more capable off-road.

Silent Scope
07-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Stampedes are good but their electronics are worthless.. if you do get one make sure you get a new motor right away..

Tyrael1986
07-29-2005, 09:59 PM
what about durability? i noticed on my blackfoot i always would break the rear shock mounts or the front steering nuckles... i went through so many replacements i cant remember how many... so something that can take a decent beating is a plus.

ryanD
07-29-2005, 10:07 PM
Tyrael,

here is a link to e-maxx pictures. http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?threadid=210087

ryan

kurrz
07-29-2005, 10:08 PM
A Twin Detonator will take a good beating but, its not all that fast but very fun. If you like Tamiya and also it it easy to work on IMO.

Tyrael1986
07-29-2005, 10:32 PM
im liking the E-Maxx. but now im curious. how fast are they stock? and what about battery life? durability? power? anyone happen to have some videos of them driving? just wondering :)

ryanD
07-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Tyreal,
i have seen one at my track it was fast, they have twin motors and 2 batterypacks.

Tyrael1986
07-29-2005, 11:34 PM
hmm, whats the differences between the twin detonator and the emaxx? other than 200 bucks? lol

highroller
07-30-2005, 04:13 AM
If you can visit your local hobby shop to research some of the vehicles and parts they have on hand. Then compare costs locally and what you might pay by mail order. Plus nothing better than being able to see vehicle first hand as some shops may have assembled kits out on display. Rather than getting into which is better read some of the posts in the Vehicles Section located lower down. There you can read up on some of the good and problem areas some owners may have encountered - overlook some of the out right flames. While the radio, esc if you have one may be fine the batteries depending on what type, plus how long you had them may have deterioted some even if not used. So that and possibly a newer charger may be an another expense, most everyone is going the NiMh route with 3700 & 3800 capacity being the newest (GP3700, IB3800 and Sanyo 3700). But try charging your old packs and use something to discharge them to see if they still work. Tamiya had upgraded the Blackfoot and there was information about reintroducing the original version so parts could become available again that route would save costs for awhile but you'd still be limited on upgrades or improving the durability of it.

bholio
07-30-2005, 10:14 AM
I personally recommend a Traxxas Rustler. It is way faster and more durable than your Blackfoot (I have a Blackfoot). Easy to work on. Easy to upgrade. Most local stores have parts in stock for the Rustler. The Rustler, complete with radio fully-assembled costs less at tower than a Tamiya twin detonator kit.

The Stampede is good too, a bit more fun than the Rustler, but some of them run into steering servo breakage problems which you may have to address fairly quickly if you get unlucky. I own both the Rustler and Stampede.

One snag about the Emaxx is that it does run 2 batteries at once. So, you need to have twice as many batteries and charging capacity as you would with other trucks. I've seen them run and thay are true beasts, big, powerful and fast, but take the battery issue into account.

Anything you buy new today (T4, Evader, Rustler, Emaxx etc) will be far more durable than your old Blackfoot and lots faster. Most come RTR with radio and everything installed. Just charge and go.

One advantage of getting a new RTR is that you can take your time and restore that old blackfoot (keeping its radio gear) over time. The old Tamiya stuff is cool and fun to take out for an occasional spin. However, if that is not your game, your Blackfoot still has some value, which depends mostly on the condition of the original body and any upgrades you may have added. Check out ebay for 'completed' auctions of Tamiya Blackfoot trucks to get an idea what you could get for it.

Since you were last in the hobby during the Blackfoot era, you need to know that there have been great advances in battery and charger technology. Your old batteries are probably not in very good condition. Modern batteries have 3x the runtime and more power than yours did. Your old stuff will fit and work (unless you have those old Tamiya hump-packs with the thick plastic case), but you will want to upgrade as soon as possible.

Racer965
07-30-2005, 11:14 AM
I have a nitro stampede with up graded opversized tires and an oversized cooling head for the motor also a futaba/losi radio i can let go of this for 175 + shipping let me no at
EMAIL racer965@hotmail.com
or aim nnzo6
or just privat message me

Tyrael1986
07-30-2005, 01:31 PM
well, i actually started with my blackfoot back in 96' or so. my blackfoot is in pretty poor shape. but runs nice and smooth. the original body was stolen a few years ago along with alot of other parts. so i rebuilt it. it has no body right now and not really planning on selling it.

so far the things that have caught my eye the most are the E-MAXX the tamiya TXT-1 and the RC10T4 i like the BIG trucks. ive seen videos of the EMAXX's running over blackfoots and rc10's and stuff its just cool :) im not really a thrasher when it comes down to it. i do clean and maintain after each time i take it out. i live in a neighborhood where alot of the kids around here play with little radioshack/toysrus trucks/cars and it would be awsome fun to run em all over >=D. Charging 2 batteries at once isnt really a problem. im pretty sure i want 4wd with the exeption of the rc10.

and you were right about my batteries lol. they are the giant plastic cased ones. but only the 6-cell versions. i had 1 7-cell battery but long ago... but it vanished.

and racer965 i think im gonna stay to electric i like the reliability of electric cars and the fact they are alot quieter. i do like the noise however but i live decently close to a medical center so they may complain. im curious to know if anyone is selling either a emaxx, txt1 or a rc10t4. i may be interested in making a deal. a swap + cash or something of that sort.

EDIT: just got my hands on a old school RC10 with a graphite chassis. full bearings and everything. its missing a few parts but now i have more to my collection :) sorry about the pic my cam is broken so i had to use my webcam which sucks...

bholio
07-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Those old RC10s are real nice. Great performers. Nice find.

Be sure you see a TXT-1 in action before buying one. They don't run like e-maxxes do. They are better suited for stuff like rock climbing & slow crushing of stuff, where the emaxx is more of a high speed high jumping kind of experience.

Nothing wrong with the TXT (except maybe price, lol), just know that is a different driving experience than the T4 and emaxx. You can't really compare them. If you like the TXT type of truck, also consider the tamiya super clodbuster.

Tyrael1986
07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Those old RC10s are real nice. Great performers. Nice find.

Be sure you see a TXT-1 in action before buying one. They don't run like e-maxxes do. They are better suited for stuff like rock climbing & slow crushing of stuff, where the emaxx is more of a high speed high jumping kind of experience.

Nothing wrong with the TXT (except maybe price, lol), just know that is a different driving experience than the T4 and emaxx. You can't really compare them. If you like the TXT type of truck, also consider the tamiya super clodbuster.

yup, i did some looking around on the TXT and am no longer really interested. so far its a cross between the RC10T4 and a EMAXX i belive. sad side is both of them are surpassing my cash limit right now.

RH Customs
07-31-2005, 01:12 PM
I would go with the XXX-T RTR 2, you get an ecellent truck that can be upgraded to the max, and has a very nice digital radio all for $270 https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?src=ns&pn=LOS0095

RH

Tyrael1986
08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
how durable are the RC10T4's? and what parts from the old RC10 originals are compatable? i bought 2 RC10 classics and rebuilt a completely working one. now im curious about the new stuff...

RH Customs
08-01-2005, 04:47 PM
The T4 is also a very durible, but unfortunately the parts from the T4 and RC 10 truck will not interchange.

RH

Tyrael1986
08-01-2005, 04:50 PM
well, i may have found what i want. after reading a few pages of info and such i may be getting this. has anyone ordered from this site before?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/383382.asp

they want $203.00 for the SE edition it seems like. anyone want to clerify what im seeing :) this fits my budget perfect and is bassically what i want. and its fully upgradable which is another plus. also if anyone has one of these trucks can you post your pros/cons for me please. thanks! :)

Gojira
08-01-2005, 06:39 PM
hobby people is a good place to order from and the t4s are nice but you will want to use some hop-ups on the rtr ive herd the motor is not that strong and does not last long PS the emaxx is very stong and pretty darned fast with 7 cell battery packs

Tyrael1986
08-01-2005, 07:24 PM
whats everyones veiws on the B4 and the T4 i have a normal RC10 the ones from the 80's and its running fine right now, but i want to upgrade to a new frame so i can get new parts. so basically asking. which one is better. the B4 or the T4 in your opinion?

Gojira
08-01-2005, 08:03 PM
the t4 will take more abuse then the b4 they are both nicer than the old kits

bholio
08-01-2005, 09:04 PM
The difference between the B4 and T4 depends on your taste. The T4 is a truck which is larger, heavier and more stable than the B4 buggy. The buggy will be a bit quicker and harder to drive. Trucks seem to be more popular than buggies (at least near me).

Since you already have an RC10 buggy, I would get the T4. Actually, in your shoes (budget constraints and all), I would opt for something like a Rustler or Evader and have some money left over for repair parts. Don't forget batteries. Your old hump packs won't fit in a T4 or B4.

Tyrael1986
08-01-2005, 11:18 PM
hmm, which one is more durable? the b4 or t4? for isntance which part would be most likely to break first on each one? i like to jump the doubles at the bmx track. and also its fun to climb up curbs in my driveway. my RC10 does it really nice. but as i said, which would be more likely to break first, and which parts?

Gojira
08-02-2005, 08:47 AM
the truck is more durable than the buggy the bigger tires and longer travel suspension soak up alot more impact than the buggy

Tyrael1986
08-03-2005, 04:04 PM
hmm, which one is more durable? the b4 or t4? for isntance which part would be most likely to break first on each one? i like to jump the doubles at the bmx track. and also its fun to climb up curbs in my driveway. my RC10 does it really nice. but as i said, which would be more likely to break first, and which parts?

anyone else? keep in mind my quote when you reply but what about the front A arms and steering nuckles? i know that the shock towers seems to break on both. but can you buy carbon A arms? i want to make this truck nearly indestructible. or the buggy depending on which i get. either way ill be using a stadium truck body on it :P

Gojira
08-03-2005, 06:38 PM
my buddy got a t4 around the same time i got my xxx4,its allready cost me 35$ in replacement parts he hasnt spent a dime.his t4 takes a beeting and keeps coming back for more he hasnt broken a thing and it the fist ST he has ever had

Tyrael1986
08-03-2005, 07:11 PM
does the SE kit come with bearings? or bushings? i cant seem to find out >_<
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/383382.asp

BurninFuel
08-03-2005, 07:15 PM
If you are willing to spend a little more money, the Traxxas E-Maxx is an awesome truck.

Tyrael1986
08-03-2005, 09:26 PM
yes, i know. but ive pretty much set my eye on the SE RC10T4. im just curious if the SE set comes with bearings or not. beacuse before i order it i want to make sure i get bearings with it. if not i will need to order them aswell. also how are the stock electronics on it? im planning on replacing the receiver with a 75Mhz FM receiver instead of the cheap AM one. but how is the ESC and servo? and can you buy aftermarket A arms for them?