PDA

View Full Version : CO2 for tank pressure??

RC addict 21
08-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I was thinking of connecting a small co2 tank from my bb gun, to the pressure fitting connected to the tank instead of connecting the muffler to the pressure fitting. that would be like.... no more priming, no more sudden changes to the pressure in the fuel tank which leads to a few problems for the fuel getting to the engine...... But would the CO2 affect the combustion process, because it being CO2 and not whatever comes out from the muffler??? Hehehe... :D

Silent Scope
08-03-2005, 05:59 PM
You have that much trouble with priming that you would actually think this up?

DaveG
08-03-2005, 09:20 PM
It'll never work. Even if you do manage to get it hooked up, those little CO2 tubes have a tremendious amount of preasure. If the fuel lines, fittings and tank can take the preasure then all that will happen is that all the fuel in the tank will be forced into the carb at a very high volume. At the least you'll continually flood the motor. At the worst you'll ruin the motor by bending/breaking the piston/con rod.

TC3Racer
08-03-2005, 10:46 PM
DaveG got that right.

aftermarket exhaust pipes are called "tuned" pipes for a reason. They apply the proper amount of backpressure to draw fuel into the engine at the proper rate without flooding it or seriously changing an engines tune.

cool head
08-03-2005, 11:06 PM
yep. its not broke.... don't try to fix it!

egdinger
08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Tc3racer, thats not why tuned pipes are called tuned, I'm not even sure if thats one of their functions.

They are called tuned because they reflect part of the pressure comeing from the engine back to help promote scavanging (sp?) and keep the new air fuel mixture in the combustion chamber.

And DaveG is right, there is hundreds to thousands of psi in those co2 bottles. A regulator to get the pressure that low would be very expensive, and I don't really see a need for it.

RC10racer89
08-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Like numerous other people have said, this idea really isn't practical, and it will most likely damage your engine. You'd probably have better luck if you did something crazy like carbonate your fuel like champagne or a soda ;)

RC addict 21
08-04-2005, 06:35 AM
hahaha.. after a bit of thinkin a thought of using a regulator cause of excess presure.. then i thought, it was already working so why change it, and it would just be a waste of time & money to make one of these things and it turning out that it just might break my tank, TUNED PIPE, or engine... :( waste of mind power.. i should have just praciced a bit more handling the car than worring about such nonsense.. hahahahaha!!! :D

suckfish
08-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Hey if you don't ask, you never kno... no question is stupid .. Only some answers

ducati777
08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Just playin this idea out here... the co2 shouldn't effect the running of the motor from a chemical point of view. The pressure would press on the top of the fuel, pushing it down into the fuel line. The gas wouldn't go into the motor unless you run out of fuel.

However if you want something close to your idea, use a 1 way valve on the pressure line. Airplane guys do this a lot, its supposed to hold the tank pressure more consistent over the course of a tank. I've never tried it, but it seems like a sound idea.