PDA

View Full Version : Balanced Tires

2ndGeneration
08-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Well,
I spent an awful amount of time balancing the tires on my RC 10t the other day. Did'nt have any sort of balancer so I made my own, I also made my own weights. I took apart a shotgun shell loaded with #4 shot, beat the shot flat and CA'd the flattened pellets to the rim. What a difference it makes to the RC when high revving seriously smooth.
Here's a pic.

2ndGeneration
08-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Whats really nice about the flattened pellets, they allow you to place small amounts of weight precisley around the rim.

Tyrael1986
08-03-2005, 11:49 PM
thats a cool idea, but i wonder how long the CA will hold them down? and does it really help all that much? wouldnt it make it worse at low speeds?

RC10racer89
08-03-2005, 11:57 PM
It wouldn't make it any worse at low speeds. Lots of people balance their tires, and it really does help. I find that it doesn't make such a big difference if your racing off-road, but for onroad racing it really helps. A lot of people do this, and there are even tools available to do it. Its just cool that 2ndgeneration built his own :)

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/ht_gluetire2.asp Check out the tire balancing info at the bottom of that page.

2ndGeneration
08-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Yes it does make a huge difference, I could set the RC 10t on a small rectangle with the tires elevated off the table and essentially " spin it off the box " before the tires were balanced, after they were balanced I could set the truck on a soup can and it stayed there.
As far as how long the CA will last, that is anybodys guess.
Its amazing the amount of time and money I've invested in a rc that the pros will tell you is no longer competitive, and it will probably never see the dirt of a bonafied, real live, honest to goodness, offroad race track.

Thanks for the props RCracer89

WheelNut
08-04-2005, 03:29 AM
I use a dubro prop balancer for my tires and CA strips of thick solder on to the rims for weights, it works awsome! The solder is nice because you get just the right amount of weight by changing the length of the solder strip. The dubro balancer is totally worth the money too, it makes balancing the tires so much easier, and it will do just about any tire, even pro-line 40 series monster tires.

2ndGeneration
08-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Yeah,
The dubro unit sounds nice, I'll make a few adjustments to to my homebuilt unit and post some pics.

Piggy89373
08-04-2005, 08:05 PM
I tried using the fishing stick-on weights. They worked well, but didn't last long...even after CA gluing them. I'm interested to find out how long those will last, as well.

2ndGeneration
08-06-2005, 03:08 AM
Ran a battery pack thru today with a small improvised jump ( carpet scrap ). So far all weights are accounted for, scratched up the new paint though :eek:

Tyrael1986
08-06-2005, 03:49 AM
i had a really good idea the other day, but didnt post about it. using servo tape on the inside of your tires and then sticking small nuts/washers to the servo tape would be a awsome idea. you could even put foam inserts into your tires after the weights were in place to hold them down. then glue your tires to the rims so the weights dont move around if your tire slips. they would never fall out, and if you did it right they would never come loose either. because the centrifical force would hold them on the tape if the sticky stuff on the tape didnt do it alone. hows that for a balancing idea? :)

Gojira
08-06-2005, 08:44 AM
if u dont want your weights to fall off after u ca them cover them with tape

2ndGeneration
08-08-2005, 12:10 AM
we played today, layed a 6' ladder down today and used plywood and carpet to complete the ramp, worked out to about 8" high with a plywood piece about 15" wide. The truck launched nice and gracefull, I tried to simulate ( sorta ) racing type jumps. Realize also that this is a RC10t original ( tank ) heavy truck. I have yet to lose any weights. I will balance the rest of my RC's in the same manner.

Thanks for the tip Gojira, I am running a test of sorts. I would also think that the tape would attract and retain an awfull amount of dirt. Thanks again though.

Gojira
08-08-2005, 09:34 AM
it shouldnt attract dirt i did not mean servo tape , use small peices of electical tape we use duct tape for stick on weights on real car wheels P.S.the rc10t is only a few grams heavier then a t4 but they sure dont seem to move the same the rpm transmission makes a huge differance

cabbynate
08-08-2005, 09:54 AM
You can use poster puddly for weight. That is what most of the factory guys use and so do I. you can get it at Walmart in the stationary department. any office supply store should also have it. If you can't find it ask someone that works there.

2ndGeneration
08-09-2005, 12:35 AM
i had a really good idea the other day, but didnt post about it. using servo tape on the inside of your tires and then sticking small nuts/washers to the servo tape

Not to sure this would be such a great idea, watching the tires balloon at high speed, I am thinking that the hardware taped to the tire would cause a bulge in the rubber creating an egg shape. You may want to try it out though just to be sure.

You can use poster puddly for weight.

Never heard of it, will give it a look next time I'm forced to visit wallyworld, thanks for the tip.

chef47203
02-10-2008, 01:17 AM
non-harding modeling clay works really well. You have to used the non-harding kind or they will get hard and fall off.

exactcustoms
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
can u post better pictures of this balancing machine u made........id like to make one aswell

Mini-TBasher55
02-10-2008, 11:40 PM
3 year old thread bud, member hasn't been around in months.

ironoutlaw
02-11-2008, 03:04 PM
hot glue works well also i wouldnt worry about 40 series tires though

Tom Ross
02-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I've always used modeling clay. Works like a charm, super easy to use, doesn't require glue, and it absolutely won't come off until you want it to. As a bonus, you can get it in different colors to match your rims.