PDA

View Full Version : Brain Kinawld Edition this, and BK edition that...

mavrick0611
07-24-2001, 10:15 PM
I have to give Brian Kinwald props for being maybe the greatest driver of all time and having certain products with his name one it. Maybe its just me, but im getting kinda TIRED of seeing BK this and that. Heck hes got cars, blue, tools, parts, etc, etc. Heck theres even a Airtronics BK edition M8 coming out. Im not begrudging him, but its getting kinda rediculas! Am i the only one that thinks this?

oooo and for the first time i have seen a car with some one's name, with edition in the title and its not BK!!!

Matt Francis Edition, thats a site for REALLY sore eyes.

Any one else feel the way i do?
Just had to let that out...
aj

[ 07-24-2001: Message edited by: mavrick0611 ]

TC3Racer
07-24-2001, 10:50 PM
ya i do. i mean at least AE doesn't do that stuff. i wouldnt mind seeing some kinda AE sponsored edition R/C from AE but Losi is using BK for everything.

1 Krazy Foo
07-24-2001, 10:56 PM
I know what you mean, E maxx this t maxx that it getting on my nerves... oh wait you said BK o well its the same thing

BadRacer
07-24-2001, 11:37 PM
I don't mind it at all. BK is one heck of a driver and just think if you were him. How would you feel after a year gone by and you just became a team driver with alot of people coming to you wanting to put your name on their stuff. I think it would be kinda cool. I do understand because here lately its been BK this and that. We finaly get to see Matt's name on a special edition car. Prop's to Matt.

Later
Cris

kartrun
07-24-2001, 11:41 PM
Yeah...i'm sick of it also!But what i'm really tired of is (what i call)flooding of the market that losi and trinity seem to always do.It seems like when there is a big race the underdog these days is team associated!I mean look at how many drivers losi and trinity have...when there is 10 out of 12 cars in an event that are losi,who do you think is going to win?And don't even get me started about trinity....they are great but same thing,when 10 out of 12 motors are trinity,who do you think is going to win?I'm ready for people like race prep(what i continue to run)and fantom,etc. to kickstart a serious competition with trinity and give them a run for their money!I hate to see anyone dominate...ready to see some new faces in victory lane besides ol'Brian "don't call me doughboy" Kinwald! ;)

XXXER
07-25-2001, 01:59 AM
You guys obviously have a few problems.

Number one being you have probably never MET the man himself, I have, he is super cool, and even stopped what he was doing, just to talk to me, we talked about upcoming products, etc. and he seemed like a great guy. I also got to talk to Matt, who is also a total Stud.

Second problem, the guy is not here to voice his argument against you guys, it is bad enough when you flame someone here, but when they do not even know about it, that is just an all time low.

Also, who says that Associated is the underdog? At the current moment, they seem to be putting all of their efforts into Touring Cars, and not so much off road, why do you think Kyosho does so great in 1/8, but in electric 1/10, they are rarely seen in the A-Main, because that is where the money is going.

B3Tyler
07-25-2001, 06:21 AM
ya...Im getting tired of that. Trinity otors are good...but birdman makes em great.

mavrick0611
07-25-2001, 10:22 AM
XXXER, im not saying hes a evil person, im just tired of every time you open up an issue of RCCA, trinity or losi has new BK product coming out, "Use the same glue BY does!" "Use the same inserts BK does!" thats just a little ridicualas.

I really dont mind that he has these products, its just that these products are getting out of hand. If its hasnt come out yet theres going to be a BK Inferno MP 7.5, BK M8, AND in the last nitro issue on page 103 theres a BK edition RC10GT, or just parts.. but its still going to ae's side too.

im just saying it getting ridiculas. thats all.
aj

chucksolo
07-25-2001, 11:03 AM
So, what WOULD you guys like to see in the magazines? The fact is, that RC is just like any other popular thing. The things that stand out will be focused on. BK is one of the best so he will be focused on, The T/E-Maxx are the best so they will be focused on. Some of us are sick of hearing you guys whine. Give it a rest, the best deserve the attention. Get over it already.

TC3Racer
07-25-2001, 11:16 AM
chuck,
yea BK is a good driver and he won the readers choice awards for best driver, but that doesn't make him 'the best'. there are plenty of drivers out there that are equally as good as BK. I mean in the TC division where BK has started to race he hasn't been winning every race when he's racing against Easton and Pavidis! So it's kinda hard to consider him 'the best'. i mean i was getting sick and tired of seeing all these t/e-maxx things in the mags but then i accepted the fact that they are the best selling R/C's out there and can't do much about it. but see, that doesn't make them 'the best' R/C's, it just makes other companies wanna start making hop-ups for it since they know that the t/e-maxx are so popular they will get lots of money selling hop-ups for them. I guess it kinda looks like the same goes for BK. I mean of course he, in person, is probably a really cool guy, but everyone concentrates on him and him only so he gets good publicity. AE drivers are just as good, just they dont show it, and prove they dont have to. they have won consecutive titles in on and off road nats. so i'm just saying that it does get annoying but the mags just need to focus more on other drivers, and that its about time that other Losi drivers get credit. the MF edition XXX-T is hopefully a start to giving more of the Losi drivers credit for being sponsored by them.

kartrun
07-25-2001, 11:59 AM
xxxer....wait a minute.....before you jump on me remember what i was talking about!First of all,i have met Brian as well as some of his other team!Brian is,as you said,a super guy.The guys at trinity are super as well but it boils down to this,they have no,as you said,dedicated competition at this point in time!You are right,AE is focusing on the touring car industry right now and has put other things,such as offroad,on the backburner!As far as the Brian "don't call me doughboy" kinwald thing goes,i got that from a interview he did when he was questioned about his weight and if he had a problem dealing with it!I've been around our hobby for a years as well as Brian,i'm not flaming anybody,i think he's the best driver out today!Anyways,my point is this,i was not bashing Brian,just ready for someone to take a step and give losi and trinity a run for the money because it would be good for us as well as the industry!! ;)

mavrick0611
07-25-2001, 01:08 PM
well heck chuck you dont like hardly any thing r/c do you? The GT hasnt won any thing lately, hasnt even been talked about and your sick of it? the e/t i won one so im not :) but you can be, and the BK. But if you really dislike those 3,,,, is there any part of rcca that you do read?
:rolleyes:
aj

StephenB
07-25-2001, 02:42 PM
Watch BK drive & look at his racing resume. That's what's really rediculous. :p

jeepinator
07-25-2001, 03:08 PM
Ya !
I am not bothered by the BK branding per se, but it is awefully prevalent, almost ubiquitous.

Besides, Masami clearly is more talented. Does BK race with a stick radio and two feet ? Huh, does he ? NO :p

E-MAXX
07-25-2001, 03:14 PM
First of all,yes the T/E Maxx are in every issue of RCCA and RC Nitro(mostly). I am hearing a lot of you all say "Im sick of hearing T/E Maxx this that etc....". Well, RCCA and RC Nitro are magazines(duh) but, they have to keep their RCer's happy and put a new magazine out every month.They have to find a story, a new race, new racer, new products etc.. There is only so many cars, and races so they must write about something, why not about a T/E Maxx . Just think of replacing all of those stories with something else, wouldn't that be hard?
It doesn't bug me that a racer is famous and has his name on everything. I think if you all where offered the same thing you would take it. I like a racer that dosen't brag about how good he/she is or he/she can beat anybody. Also it's good to see kids(like my self) getting attention for racing because they are good, ex: Jared Tebo. I want to get into racing but there aren't any tracks where I live.
Hope this helps
Philip S

DerekB
07-25-2001, 03:18 PM
Do you guys buy Jordan's for playing BBall? Come'on. THis is just a name on the box, it's what's inside that counts. MF and BK are winning everything and they get a little credit from a company. Most companies don't want to put a name on the box because who knows if they'll be driving for them next week, and they'll lose a few pennies. I'm not sure what this thread is supposed to complain about, but I guess it's like Jeff Gordon, once you win a lot people don't like you.

Congrats MAtt and BK for having something most drivers dream about....a car named after you.

Oh,ya you can pick up the Derek Buono Edition XNT soon. Since you guys want different named trucks. :eek:

KC10Chief
07-25-2001, 03:58 PM
To me, RC is one of my favorite hobbies. What better way to make a living than to get paid to do it and put my name on things! If I were Brian Kinwald, I would do the same thing and you know you would too. How old is Brian Kinwald anyways? I remember hearing his name years and years ago when I first started raciung RC cars. I thought he was around 15 or 16 then. Just curious. Matt

chucksolo
07-25-2001, 04:31 PM
I happen to read every RC magazine out there. I subscribe to RCCA and RC Nitro magazines. Gee Maverick, don't get bent out of shape!!! Do you always get that offended when people disagree with you? Sounds like you just dislike stuff to dislike it and then whine about it. Just enjoy the hobby and quit whining. As for the GT not being talked about, how long have you been in the hobby? I have read numerous articles about the GT in the last two and a half years I have been in the hobby. You seem to forget that the T-Maxx only debuted a short time ago, about a year and a half, and BK has been in the hobby for years. Let the guy have his day, he definately deserves it. Well said DerekB, maybe now these guys'll stop crying.

mavrick0611
07-25-2001, 04:39 PM
i wasnt offended at all. When i talked about the GT i said, lately. i havent read any big news on it in over a year. Like i said before im not begrudging any drivers out there. Losi can put his name one every thing but opther companys like Airtronics jmping on the band wagon is what annoys me. Im sure BK is a great guy, i never said he wasnt, im just getting tired of seeing BK edition this and that. Im not getting offended, mad, or poed with what people have said in this thread. i was jsut posting my opinion and see if any one else had the same opnion. For the most part people have the same one, and others dont. Which that doesnt bother me.
aj

chucksolo
07-25-2001, 05:51 PM
Ok, sorry for the disparaging remarks maverick0611. I think the main reasons you see the BK this and BK that and T/E Maxx this and that is simply because R/C companies are in business for one thing; to make money. If a company can brand a product with a familiar name, e.g., Brian Kinwald, it will sell a lot of them. After market companies realize the earnings potential of selling Brian Kinwald and T/E-Maxx parts and hopups, again, to make money. Magazines will cap on this also and run stories which they deem will sell magazines and advertising space. The R/C hobby, although dear to us recreational users is nothing more than a business, whether it is manufacturers of kits or hopup parts or, yes, even magazines. This is just basically Busines 101. Why do you think Duratrax is doing so well, they jumped on the RTR bandwagon on the coattails of Traxxas, notice that hey have basically cloned the Traxxas business model. The only difference is, Duratrax takes existing designs and clones them to their own needs, Traxxas is more into innovation than copy catting. Take the Duratrax SFGP for example, it has nothing new at all on it and emulates proven designs, but it still sells because it is a relatively low priced unit that will attract a buyer suited to that product. Almost all their other 1/8th scale vehicles are based on one, the Axis, platform.... again, to make money. It's cheaper to take an existing design and change a few parts than it is to engineer a whole new vehicle as Traxxas did with the T/E-Maxx. You don't see many hopup after market parts for these (Duratrax) vehicles though because they just don't sell in the quantities the T-Maxx does. It takes a lot of cash to tool up a business to make after market parts so there have to be a lot of sales of the new products to justify the cost. Take the name Brian Kinwald and put it on a product and every aspiring racer and his uncle will want one. In summary, it's just good business, period.

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: chucksolo ]

[ 07-25-2001: Message edited by: chucksolo ]

BadRacer
07-25-2001, 06:26 PM
Derek is right. These companys put Team Driver's names on their stuff and pray that they will be racing for the same company next week. I really don't see why people make such a big deal over Brian having his name on stuff. My opinion is if he wasn't the best at what he does he wouldn't have his name on so much stuff. Also about the 10 out of 12 motors being Trinity in a race i have your answer for that, Trinity makes GREAT motors and some of you may not feel the same way. I myself use Fantom, Trinity, Reedy, and Peak motors because they work for me. My personal fav. is Trinity..

Just give this whole BK thing a rest, he has his name on so much stuff because he's the best at what he does. What happen's if AE comes out with a Billy Easton B3, or TC3 and he gets his name put on special parts, motors, and radios i know no one that favor's AE is going to complain. If you want to smash a Team Drivers name at least have the person here to see what your writing to reply.

Just a little opinion

Cris

SirSpeedy
07-25-2001, 08:14 PM
You want ot know why they put Brian on products?

They do so that all the little kids that are so prevalent on this site will just have to have the new product....too funny...

kartrun
07-25-2001, 08:17 PM
LOL...leave it up to good ol'speedy! :rolleyes: He's right ya' know! ;)

Throtl Hapie
07-25-2001, 08:32 PM
This is why I got a Tamiya; no one cares! :D

mavrick0611
07-25-2001, 10:13 PM
lol at speedy and throtl!

like i said before its the bandwagon thing that gets me. i hate that o well we have pretty well beat this one to death.
ak

chucksolo
07-26-2001, 12:43 AM
I guess my message should have read. WHO CARES!!! If you don't like the articles that mention BK or the T/E-Maxx, it's simple don't read them. I personally get sick and tired of seeing all the stuff about the RC10GT, but I read it anyway and don't whine about it. Get over it and move on. Sheesh.

grandmasterofpool
07-26-2001, 11:02 AM
Everyone has their gifts. For instance, I'm fairly certain I could whoop BK's tail in a mountain bike race ;)

Give the guy a break though man. If you were as good as him I bet you'd NEVER get sick of your mug on every r/c product Trinity makes :D

wjj
07-26-2001, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know how old BK is? Evey time I see him I keep thinking of a 14 or 15 year old.

chucksolo
07-26-2001, 11:26 AM
He's in his mid to late 20s.

DerekB
07-26-2001, 11:31 AM
Brian is 28. He has a disease that makes him look younger. Or something like that. Let's not start picking on peoples appearances, since I don't see anybody posting their pictures up here. :mad:

TC3Racer
07-26-2001, 01:47 PM
yea i read an article about that... BK got caught with about half of his truck hopped up with GT parts.. likee skock mounts, shocks, and a bunch of other stuff. i dont know why he would do this but i would think that losi would be gettin' a little P.O.ed with there best racer using there main competitors parts on his truck.

mavrick0611
07-26-2001, 02:11 PM
really as long as it helps them sell it, they reallt dont care. see what im saying. thats why they have BK on every thing. every one thinks, o since bk uses it ill win! NOT!
aj

SirSpeedy
07-26-2001, 02:26 PM
TC3Racer-

Now THAT is some funny crap.....where would you have read that....let me guess....on the internet?

Trinity makes many aluminium parts for all kinds of vehicles. Not just Losi. The blue aluminum product line is called Team Kinwald.

mavrick0611
07-26-2001, 03:04 PM
well ya, but i have never seem team kinwald race, or kinwald run the tc3! i mean, if hes going to put his name on it, he might as well USE the stuff, see what im saying?
aj

wjj
07-26-2001, 04:23 PM
It was a innocent question from someone who is knew to the racing scene Derek, you have know right to make me into something i am not. i thought it was impressive that someone so young was dominating older people, nothing more.

DerekB
07-26-2001, 05:15 PM
wjj, the post was not directed to you. I have seen post where people make fun of somebody's appearance. It wasn't intended for you, just a heads up for the thread. :)

FilthyPierre
07-26-2001, 05:48 PM
Mav, I would hazard a guess that he doesn't get much of a say - it would be along the lines of:
Trinity: "BK we want to use your name on a range of blue products, ok with you ?"
BK: "Sure, show me the money"
Now I'm not saying they'll be putting out BK mouse pads, socks or underwear, but he probably doesn't have much control over what becomes a Team Kinwald part. Hence the abundance of TK parts for Associated cars.

And to weigh in on the "BK this and BK that" argument, in this day and age, people are fickle, industries are fickle. When someone is on top of a particular field, it sure isn't going to be for very long (in the scheme of things), so why not get as much out of it as you can while you still can - BK's sponsors sure want to get as much out of it as they can, so should he. I'm not saying I approve of today's marketing tactics of "milk 'em for all they're worth", but in this case (with BK's endorsements), it doesn't seem like blatant rip-offism to me; in fact, most Team Kinwald stuff I've bought is pretty good stuff.... except for that one d@mned pinion that won't stay on the shaft...... :cool:

wjj
07-26-2001, 05:52 PM
i am appologize for my comments. :)

TC3Racer
07-26-2001, 05:58 PM
SirSpeedy-

I read that in one of my issues of the R/C car mag that i ordered.

jeepinator
07-26-2001, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by DerekB:
Let's not start picking on peoples appearances, since I don't see anybody posting their pictures up here.

OK, I already posted a pic of me ! That was not fair :p See THIS (http://www.rccaraction.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000606) thread.
OK, just kidding ! Here is a real picture of me:
http://www.theshreves.com/pics/dog.jpg

... and i still think Masami is mo betta !

T3_Racer
07-26-2001, 11:00 PM
BK is, in my mind, an awesome person. I have never met the man but I have seen some of the things that he has done. For instance, the race for cancer (was that its name?) that Losi and BK did. I am a hardcore Associated fan but I am still delighted when I see Losi or BK or any competitor win a race.
This hobby isn't about who has the better equipment or who can hop up their car the most, it's about who is the most skilled in driving and who can master their machine. :D
I think when Associated introduced the good 'ol RC10 they made the most impact our hobby has had. It revolutionized what we call RC. Losi has done some great things but nothing like that.
I think when it all comes down to it we shouldn't give a crap about what car wins a race or what parts gave it the "edge", but WHO won the race. Give BK a rustler and me a T3 he'll still beat the pants off me.
Everyone I have encountered thats met BK has said he was a really cool guy.
Without BK R/C would have never be the same. He has changed the hobby forever.
Sorry 'bout the rambling on but thats just my $0.02. :)
BTW if i could get the stupid photo point thing to work i would post a pic. :rolleyes:

BadRacer
07-26-2001, 11:59 PM
T3 is Totaly Right!
Off the subject about BK for a min. I have always woundered what kind of Truck or Buggie could be made up if Losi and Team Associated teamed up and made at least one. I think it would be an awesome truck/buggy due to the fact that Losi and Associated have done so well and both have their strong side's. Sure would solve the age old question of which one is better right?!? LOL

I could care less about the marketing "mombo jumbo" i have Trinity's line of blue Aluminum parts all over my XXXT and i didn't buy them because so and so has them on their race winning truck, i have them because some of their parts when used in a place that is prone to breaking really helps. Its as simple as that.

SirSpeedy
07-27-2001, 12:50 AM
While I am in a 'typey' mood, why do some people keep throughing in the thing about Masami using the stick radio?

Somebody said here that "Masami is so good, and he even uses a stick radio....OR, Masami can beat BK with a stick radio.."

Like there is something wrong with a stick radio? You think they are poor quality?

OK. Next lesson for the RC Racing newbies today, Most of the European and Asian driver use stick radios. They are not inferior, just different. It is what they learned with......

mavrick0611
07-27-2001, 12:52 AM
ok im going to end the argument after this, i was looking through rcca buyers guide 2001 last night for an engine and started looking at trinity products. There is a BK tc3 aluminum parts and GT aluminum parts. I can see the GT parts becuase he once drove one, but when was the last time you saw BK or most any other losi diver drive a ASSOCIATED RC10TC3???

dont start talking stuff about brians appearance. This isnt a cut down. I read on the trinity board he had or has some kinda desiease and his midacation stunted his growth. Dont bash things like that people.
aj

ProjectTwin
07-27-2001, 01:37 AM
BK has great burgers.
Their fries are good too!
Don't bother with the chocolate shake though, it's not all it's cracked up to be. :p

Honestly guys, give it a rest.

Kinwald is all over everything because he's sucessful. It's gotten to be a bit much lately, I agree, but you can't blame companies using his name to promote their product. Also, stand in his shoes, you guys would all love to see your mugs promoting R/C kits, tires, glue, and whatever else.

Everyone wants to be sponsored drivers...if you're good, your sponsors will promote you, and in the process they'll be promoting themselves.

Jason

jeepinator
07-27-2001, 01:44 AM
I mentioned the stick radio because he can drive a car around a track with his feet using a stick controller.
I have spent many packs practicing driving my RC cars around with one hand, but FEET ? OMG, THAT is talent !
BTW, with my new M8 I cannot even come close to driving one handed. With my trusty old JR756 it was easy. I even raced one entire heat with one hand and did OK ... weird, I know, but interesting nonetheless don't you think ? :p

combones
07-28-2001, 09:20 PM
The word is spelled RIDICULOUS!! I am sick of Michael Jordan!

clancy
07-29-2001, 08:34 AM
Derek I have noticed our hobby is no one that GQ or any of those publications is rushing to get our mugs to the printer. If I posted my mug it may be considered offensive and I would be banned from the site. :D

TC3Racer
07-29-2001, 09:41 AM
ok since when have we been talkin' 'bout michael jordan.