PDA

View Full Version : White Lightening - Steve P

HauntedMyst
07-25-2001, 10:03 AM
in last years TC issue, you show one of the tips for speed as using White Lightening Teflon lubricant. The picture shows you using it on the diff gears in a TC3, but the text talked about using it on the spur gear. Is there any reason I shouldn't use it on the diff gears? Any down sides to this product?

Ras Thavas
07-25-2001, 10:34 AM
Someone on the HPI forum said he uses it on his belts. I've been using it on my spur/pinion with no problem. To be honest, I can't tell if I am getting any better performance from it, but I doubt it will hurt anything. I'm gonna try it on my belts at next Saturdays race.

grandmasterofpool
07-25-2001, 10:41 AM
That stuff is for bicycle chains...lol I guess it would work okay on an r/c though. Hmmm... I'll have to give it a go.

SteveP
07-25-2001, 11:04 AM
GMP - It's not really for bicycle chains, it's a Teflon lube that has numerous applications - that particular brand just happens to be marketed to cyclists.

HauntedMyst
07-26-2001, 12:59 AM
I picked some of this stuff up tonight and it seems great! I went ahead and lubed the diff gears in my TC3. When I do take the car apart for complete maintenance, I will use it to lub any part that moves since it is self cleaning and will work it's way out of things like hinge pin holes, etc.

If you get this, do NOT get the racing version, it is not self cleaning and the guy at the bike shop said it makes a mess.

ammoace
07-26-2001, 02:07 AM
By self-cleaning what does that mean and how is that possible. Or is it like palmolive and wisk the grease away? :)
Jerry

HauntedMyst
07-26-2001, 09:39 AM
It dries in a waxy finish. When the parts move, it works its way out, taking any dirt it has collected with it. I wouldn't use it on bearings or motor bushings but it seems like a good thing for hinge pins and the like.

hpi racer2
07-26-2001, 01:14 PM
before you use it shake it up for about 3 minutes for best results. And every time you see it in your tool box or wherever shake it up a little then also ive seen that stuff go bad quite often when i raced bmx. :D