PDA

View Full Version : show in Toledo OH???

apache480
08-11-2005, 12:55 PM
I am interested in getting more information on the race boat section of the show in Toledo. John Fryant mentioned it briefly in a scale views column in the sept./oct. 04 issue. I would like to enter a boat in next years show but need more info on classes. any info yall could give would be appreciated.

jeff

Ron Olson
08-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Go to www.toledoshow.com , there should be information in there.
Good luck Jeff, the past 2 years in boats has been getting fierce. Before that it was kind of dead.
Pick carefully as some boats can fit into several classes which had some controversy last year.

apache480
08-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks Ron, Thats exactly what I needed to know I hope my schedule will work out so I attend.

Jeff

CG Bob
08-12-2005, 01:50 AM
The four boat groups at the Toledo Show are:
Competition Boat - generally any racing powerboat
Military Scale Boat - must have a weapon greater than 20mm mounted (USN, USCG, & Army tug sare entered in Working Vessels Unarmed unless they meet the gun mount rule)
Pleasure Boat - sail or powerboat
Working Boat Unarmed - Tugs, freighters, etc.

You can enter models on Friday or Saturday. There is an entry deadline on Saturday. Models must remain in the show hall until Sunday afternoon.

hobbygroup
08-15-2005, 12:21 AM
When you go to Toledo Stop by and visit our booth

Capt. Ron

Scale & RC Boat Magazine

Ron Olson
08-15-2005, 10:46 AM
I hope to see all of you there next year. I try to make the trip to Toledo every year. This past year I went down on Friday thinking that there would be less people and easier to get through the crowds. WRONG! Well, it wasn't as bad as Saturdays but I was still surprised at the amount of people there.
Captain Ron, if it's your first trip there I've learned my way around the city a little over the years. A trip to Tony Packo's restaurant is a must! Next year I want to hit the Electric Tournament Of Champions (E-TOC). I'm not a flyer by any means but from the videos that I saw, I missed one fantastic show!

hobbygroup
08-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Ron.

I have been going to toledo for the past four years my booth is D128-129

My company E-Power RC/Dc Power Products always has the special on the Gel cell Batteries an chargers

Thanks for the offer but after a whole day selling I make to my room shower and call for room service.

Capt. Ron

Ron Olson
01-14-2006, 03:10 PM
I'll be looking for you there! Last year I was standing outside the doors for several hours handy out goodie bags and will probably doing the same again this year.
Yes, it does make for a long day. I made the trip down there early in the morning and stayed at the show for a while before heading across the river to Tony's then the drive home.

apache480
01-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I'll also see you there. I'm planning on arriving sometime Friday evening and staying till Sunday as I am bringing a boat to enter in the competition. Since this will be my first year going about how many entries are there in competition boat class? Do unlimited hydros usually make up the majority of the class?

Ron, you will have to let me know how to get in touch with you at the show.

Ron Olson
01-17-2006, 12:55 AM
The amount of entries varies every year so it's hard to tell. A few years ago there were hardly any boats in the area, this past year was packed with them.
There aren't that many hydro's but they'll group you in with the competition boat class. Last year there were some questions as to what class a boat should have been in with one in particular. It was a scale race boat but some felt that it should have been in the scale class and not the competition class. It was a hard call for anyone. In order to stand out, try to think of something unique to make your boat an attetion getter. you don't have much to work with there, short tables with white cloth on them.
What we've done in past years is to pick a time, like Noon and meet up at the boat competition tables.
I don't know for sure at the moment what day that I'm going as Friday traffic around the big cities on the east side of Michigan can get pretty crazy if you go through there at the wrong times. If possible I'd like to hit the ETOC competition across the river from the Seagate Centre. I'm not into planes that much but from the videos that I saw of it, I'm kicking myself for not going over there! I was near the school were it was held as every time that I hit Toledo, a stop at Tony Packo's is a neccessity for their famous hot dogs, pickles and peppers.

apache480
02-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Ron I got to thinking and wondered what critiria the boats are judged by? Meaning do they pull the hatch off and judge all the internals and the drive or do they just look at the overall apperance of the outside?

Thanks,Jeff

CG Bob
02-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Jeff,

I was one of the boat judges last year at the Toledo Show. We didn't look inside the models, so the neatness of your electronic installation doesn't count. We looked at the overall fit and finish of the models in each category. We took into account the scale of the model as well; a 1/32 scale model with lots of good detail work will beat a 1/8 scale model with sloppy detail work. Some of the things we looked for are:
1. Are there any runs, drips, or sages in the paint or varnish? Are the paint or varnish coats smooth, or can we see brush marks? Are there visible globs of glue?
2. Are all of the fittings and any crew in the same scale? Oversize or undersize fittings or crew, and you don't win.
3. Do the details match the time frame of the model? I've seen WWII era models of U.S. ships flying flags with 50 stars instead of the correct 48 star flags.
4. Was the model built from a kit or scratchbuilt? Usually a scratchbuilt model beats a kit built model; but the overall fit, finish, & details may determine the better model.
5. How much research did the builder do (especially critical for warships), and did he provide any documentation? You can't build an accurate model without doing some reseach, PT109 was completely different from PT65 (JFK's second boat). The judges do look at any documentation provided, and factor that into the decision; a documentation package for the model is required at SSMANA events.

Being a retired USCG officer, I tend to look at USCG models a little closer than other judges. Some of the more common problems I've seen on USCG models are:
1. The wrong color is used on the mast, stack, boat davits, etc. Most people will use yellow or orange. The correct color is called Spar or Buff and the closest match is Badger Model Flex Marine COlors Deck Tan.
2. The angle of the racing stripe is wrong. The correct angle is 64 degrees. Some official USCG blueprints show the angle as 75 degrees. Provide a copy of the USCG drawing showing a 75 degree stripe on that particular boat, and I'll believe it.

apache480
02-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks that helps a lot. I will assume that the competition class boats are judged by the same standards since that is the class I will be entering.

Jeff

CG Bob
02-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Jeff,

Yes, all the boats are judged to the same standards; the only difference is the class thatthey are entered in. Last year there were 9 boat judges, working in teams of 3. One team judged pleasure bopats, the second team judge work boats, and the third team judged both military and competition boats.

CG Bob
03-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Ron.

I have been going to toledo for the past four years my booth is D128-129

My company E-Power RC/Dc Power Products always has the special on the Gel cell Batteries an chargers

Thanks for the offer but after a whole day selling I make to my room shower and call for room service.

Capt. Ron Looks like they moved you down a little. The exhibitor list (http://www.toledoshow.com/list.html) has you D130-131.

Ron Olson
03-26-2006, 03:22 PM
So, who is going this year and what day or days? Right now I'm not sure if I will be able to make the trip or not depending right now on two things, the main one is health. I had a heart attack at work back on February 6th and ended up by having a quad bypass, no fun and it takes a lot out of you.
After taking my wife down there once, I don't think that she wants to go there again. I let her drive home that day and we ran into some bad traffic on the way. Boy, the words that came out of her mouth! My son is almost 19 and still doesn't have his license yet. If I can get a ride down there I want to show up. I'm running out of pickles and peppers so I need to go across the river to Tony Packo's. If you need to eat somwhere while you're in town, you have to make a stop over there!
I'd like to go to the ETOC competition near Tony's also. I saw videos of what I missed last year and am kicking myself for not going to it and I'm not a flyer!

RickE
03-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Ron, I'll be there Friday and Saturday.
Rick Eyrich

Ron Olson
03-26-2006, 05:50 PM
I tried chasing you down before! :D Are you going to be wearing the OCC hat again?

RickE
03-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Yah, I've got to figure-out another way to standout from the crowd! I thought I could schedule a time to meetup at Remy's booth, but I just foundout he's not going to Toledo this year. I'll think of something the next couple of days and relay it here before the wife and I headout (we gotta visit relatives in Iowa before heading to Toledo) this Thursday.
Rick Eyrich

Ron Olson
03-26-2006, 06:53 PM
We used to meet up around the tables where the boat competition is at Noon.
I was in the Toledo site this morning and saw that Remy isn't going to be there. Too bad as we always talked and I got the latest on what they were up to.
One buddy is going to be working the Hobbico/Aquacraft booth, Mike Zaborowski. You can't miss him, skinny and a ponytail down to his rear. Hit him up to see what they are up to as they have a lot of things in the works.

apache480
03-26-2006, 10:07 PM
I will be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to compete although The way my project has turned out I dont expect it will do any good :mad: , Talk about a boat fighting you the whole way, this one sure did. I am however, excited to hopefully get to meet a few of you guys just post up when and where to meet and I'll do my best to meet you there. :) See you in Toledo. :D :D

Jeff Lee

RickE
03-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Okay guys, here's the poop: I'll be walking-around the Toledo show carrying a beat-up green camera bag over my shoulder plus a Pentax digital camera around my neck. Just look for a bald-headed guy with a grey goatee and glasses with the before-mentioned camera gear and say "Hi Rick!" I'll plan on being around the boat display area at noontime both days and look forward to talking to everyone there!
See you there,
Rick Eyrich

Ron Olson
03-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Right now we're looking at coming down on Friday. I should be wearing a tan hat and black polo shirt with the name of a competing forum site on it that advertises in RCBM if the shirt shows up in time as it might have my name embroidered on it.
If your booth is where it was last year, you're not far from where we meet up at.

Ron Olson
04-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Rick, I was a little under te weather Friday so I didn't get to come down until today (Saturday). I was around the boat area at Noon but didn't see any faces that looked familiar except for one person, Mark McCray, who was setting up his Miss Bud. I stoppped by the Air Age booth and talked to the young lady who was working the booth to see if she knew where you were. I think that at one time that I was standing almost next to you but wasn't sure as you had your back to me and took off before I had a chance to see your frontside to see if you were wearing a name tag. Oh well, one of these days.................
I did find Ron Abir and said that I had just missed you at his booth also.

RickE
04-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Sorry to hear you were feeling bad Ron-I just got home from Toledo and some required relative-visiting! I was in hyper-drive mode on Saturday taking pictures; so, I didn't get much face time with anyone at the booths. I guess next year we'll have to meet at Packo's!
Rick Eyrich