PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into RC Cars , HPI RS4 or Traxxas 4 - tec ?

wmwood
07-11-2000, 09:18 PM
I ' m getting back into the sport of RC racing . I ' m getting ready to purchase a nitro powered car . All I hear is Traxxas 4 - tec , and HPI RS4 . Which one is better ? I want a car in this price range that I can be competative with and even race some . Which one has the most hop ups , or is there a car that would be better for me than these two ? Another question , are parts for RC cars interchangeable ? Such as HPI performace parts fitting on a Traxxas 4 - tec ?

------------------
Westley Wood

pa_racer
07-11-2000, 10:29 PM
i think the 4 - tec is faster with it ' s 2 - spd and all , but than again u can get a RS4 with a 2spd . i know one thing though , if ur racing a RS4 and break a part , there ' s got to be at least 20 people with that part . alot of people race the RS4 , therefore a lot help and parts for u , but then again u have to play the hop - ups game to keep up . i would get the 4 - tec just to be differnent and u can always count on traxxas for great products .

------------------
:!**sH!8**!:
[__]---[| || |]---<{[[[]-

andy51289
07-12-2000, 09:33 AM
Well ... I have a nitro 4 - tec , and race it , and it does very well ... although i race against electric cars and the 4 - tec has lousy acceleration . but that all depends on the gears .. if you want to be with the crowd , go with the rs4 , but if you want insane speed , go with the 4tec

andy

Max
07-18-2000, 08:21 PM
GET THE 4-TEC!!!!!!!YOU WILL LIKE IT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

erac
07-19-2000, 07:50 PM
Buy the Touring Car issue of RCCA...and then buy the HPI. If you plan to seriously race you would be better served by the HPI. Traxxas cars are basically for beginners, and although they can be raced, they are only meant to play around with.

chucksolo
07-19-2000, 09:37 PM
Be warned though, HPI cars tend to have things fall off of them. My friend's Nitro RS4 is constantly shedding stuff. This past weekend his muffler kept coming off. His car is only a month old. My Nitro 4-Tec is about six months old and I have only had very minor problems with it. The Nitro 4-Tec is an excellent car.

R_C_MAN
07-20-2000, 09:03 PM
Are you talking about the HPI RS4 2 or the first one?

wmwood
07-21-2000, 11:18 AM
I'm talking about the RS4 2. It seems that there are so many good cars out there to buy. I just don't want to invest the money in a car and not be satisfied with it.

anubis
07-21-2000, 11:27 AM
You will love both cars, there's no doubt about that. Right out of the box the 4-Tec is much more powerful and will contend better in a race. You will have to do a lot of hopping up to the RS4 to compete with the faster 4tec. The only problem I see with the 4Tec is there is a lack of available hopups, which is ok I guess cause it comes with the most popular hopups. You can put pretty much anything anyone makes onto a RS4, but you can't on a 4Tec....just my two cents :-)