PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting back into R / C .....

Justin10T
07-12-2000, 07:43 PM
... but I haven ' t decided what I should do here . I have an RC10T Team Truck that I used to race a few years ago , but now I only run it occassionaly as a backyard basher . It ' s in great shape with tons of hop - ups ( I ' ve replaced just about everything except the chassis with aftermarket parts : titanium galore , etc .), so it ' s practically bullet - proof , but I know this truck ' s a dinosaur now . I ' m thinking about getting back into RC , but I haven ' t decided if I should keep putting money into this truck or if I should buy something brand new . If I buy a new one , it ' s going to be a nitro - powered monster truck , which I ' ve always wanted to have . The thing with this is I would have to start from scratch again , which would be very expensive , whereas I already have everything I need and then some for my RC10T , since I used to race , and many of you know how much stuff you collect after racing for a couple years . So I was just wondering what you guys would do if you were me : keep the electric truck and keep the wallet fat , or go all out with a nitro - powered monster truck ? Thanks for any suggestions .

FLYBOY7
07-12-2000, 07:58 PM
i say DO BOTH !!!

break that rc - 10 - t ( one heck of a good truck by the way ) and get it back into good running order ... new tires , bearings ect ..... while you get back into the swing of things , start putting back a few bucks a week .... and before you know it , you will have the money for a cool nitro truck !!!!

i have been out of the sport as well for several years ... but i am back , and frankly having a better time than i ever have before !! in fact i broke out my old junior t losi truck and got it up and going last night .... it really surprised me just how fast that thing would go ... http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/smile.gif

or you can just write the big check , and be into nitro in a big way !!!! if you really want a new truck , go for it !! it will be worth the bucks for sure ... http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

FLYBOY7
RC10-B2

"you can never have enough fun, friends, or Horsepower!"

Justin10T
07-12-2000, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the response ! Actually , my truck is in perfect running order . In fact , I just got back in from running it in the driveway where I had a ramp set up . You hit the nail right on the head with your suggestions . It does have new Road Hawgs , new wheel bearings , and I just rebuilt the shocks yesterday with MIP blue seals and gold shock shafts ( which I ' ve had for quite a while ). Even the motor is practically new . The tranny and diff are still as smooth as ever with only about five or six runs since their last rebuild . Running my truck just now made me realize how much I want something different . I was running a Sanyo matched pack ( leftover from racing days http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/smile.gif and the battery only lasted about six minutes , which I know is actually pretty good , but it sure didn ' t seem to take very long . I ' m using a Trinity P2K Pro stock motor , Novak Hammer Pro speed control , Duratrax Powerpole connectors , and a 19 tooth pinion and 87 tooth spur gear . The run times still aren ' t long enough for me . I want to get a nitro truck ! But I ' m not so sure I ' m ready to spend $ 500 . I ' ll be starting college again soon and I keep thinking of all the other things I could do with that money ......

ChazMan
07-12-2000, 11:52 PM
Well ..... if you are looking at getting a Nitro Monster truck I would suggest getting the biggest badest one out there . You can get a Traxxas T - Maxx . It comes with everything you need except fuel a 7 . 2v battery and charger . You already have the battery and charger so all you would need is the fuel after you got the truck . Or you could go with the Nitro Stampede witch isn ' t as big , but it cost less . That one has the same set up too . You would just need fuel .

That ' s my two cents worth anyways ,

ChazMan

FLYBOY7
07-13-2000, 12:16 AM
well if you looking to go nitro for a much longer run time , well that isnt gonna happen ..... i dont have a nitro truck .... but from what i ' ve heard their run times are only 7 - 9 minutes .....

of course there are many other reasons to go nitro ... but a super long run time is not one of them , as you may only gain 2 - 4 minutes ....

------------------

FLYBOY7
RC10-B2

"you can never have enough fun, friends, or Horsepower!"

Justin10T
07-13-2000, 07:35 AM
Yeah , I suppose that ' s true , but I think 7 - 9 minutes would be plenty long enough . Actually , six minutes would be long enough , it ' s just that with electric , the batteries start noticeably running down the last couple minutes , whereas a nitro car will run all - out till the end . This is what I really meant when I mentioned longer run times . If I end up doing this , I ' ll probably jump on the bandwagon and get a T - Maxx , even though I hear they ' re on backorder now . The Stampede is too small for me . I ' d really like to have a Nitro Quake , but it ' s too expensive . My local hobby shop has a T - Maxx strictly for display , so I can ' t buy it , but those things are awesome . We ' ll see what happens . Thanks guys !

QUAKE&SHAKE
07-13-2000, 06:48 PM
Quakes are awesome too . You will spend a lot on hopups for the T - maxx . The Quake really doesnt need any hopups . After breakin you will be going 40mph . Of the Quake owners I know very few have broke anything . I think body post and bumpers . Engine is a breeze to tune . But get what you like I think you will love nitro if you go that way .

Budster
07-13-2000, 10:37 PM
7 - 9 may be accurate for a racer ... but for a monster it would be about 15 - 20 . They are a lot of fun . The biggest out there so far is the Ofna Monster Pirate ... next in size would be the Ofna Monster Blazer and USA - 1 then the next smallest is the T - MAXX , and the Mad Bison . Many Rave over the T - maxx ' s capabilities . Although I must admit , the old RC10 ' s were a lot of fun !

------------------
Budster
AKA : Carl
http :// www . rcmonstertrucks . com / members / budster /

chucksolo
07-14-2000, 12:21 AM
Actually , you can run a nitro a lot longer than 7 to 9 minutes if you pull in , let it idle and refuel while it is running . I frequently run my Nitro Rustler and 4 - Tec for up to 45 minutes before I let the engine cool down . Just takes a few pit stops .

Conman
07-17-2000, 01:05 PM
I have a RC10T Sport Truck. It is an awsome truck. http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Justin10T
07-17-2000, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I know it's still a good truck, even though it is very outdated. Because of this, I'm not so sure it would be wise for me to keep spending money on it. It seems like most of the parts at my local hobby shop are for the newest Associated cars, and if I want anything for my Team Truck, I'll probably have to order it. I'm just afraid that parts will be hard to find for it before too much longer, or that they will be discontinued. But it would take at least twice as much money to buy a nitro car or truck, even a beginner kit, than it would to completely restore my 10T. And I have so many aftermarket parts for my Team Truck that after I spend a few more bucks to restore it, it will be practically invincible, whereas a new beginner nitro kit probably won't even be close. The way I see it, the only things I have to gain by buying a new nitro truck are speed, run time, and perhaps parts availability. By keeping my 10T, I will save money, have a very strong and reliable truck that will take anything I can throw at it, and can still be plenty fast enough if I go with a modified motor. Then again, I could always buy an RC10GT and swap out some of the parts off my Team Truck to make the GT stronger, but it would still be more expensive to do that. It's kind of a tough decision.

QUAKE&SHAKE
07-18-2000, 05:36 PM
Parts should not be a problem I can still get parts for my 1985 rc10.

Conman
07-19-2000, 12:13 AM
I see where you're comeing from, but don't have any trouble finding parts for my truck. just go to www.teamassociated.com. (http://www.teamassociated.com.) http://www.rccaraction.com/ubb/wink.gif