PDA

View Full Version : Best for racing

kikcaffine
03-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey all
IM just getting back into rc from a long hiatus, and am interested in getting back into racing. I have narrowed my choices down to 2. Either a ft t4 w/ a ss brushless or a ft rc18t with the mamba 6800k(i think its that). Both will run lipo. I can get the rc18 for about ~250 where as the t4 will be about 350. Will I be competetive with the rc 18 against 1/10 gas stadium trucks? The track is kind of small with loose packed dirt. Or is there a better choice? I used to have a big block'd mini t and i absolutely loved it, but i dont think it would be competitive enough. Does anyone have any insight on this? I am also kind of tossing up the idea of a b4, evader st, or evader bx pro. But i think the rc18t would be the best out of them or the t4. Also where can I find out about the lipo batteries and brushless?

ErikRC10
03-14-2006, 05:40 PM
If you are gonna be racing against 1/10 nitro then I would go with a T4. The rc18t with a mamba system and lipo can deffinetly keep up with about any nitro but I think for actually racing against them a 1/10th scale car/truck would be better and a little more competive.

The T4 is a very good truck but there are more options like the XXX-T. I would personally go with the T4 but I am an AE guy. The B4, and evaders are good cars but if you are gonna be pretty competive don't get the evadors. They just can't quiet hold their own against an AE or Losi car. If you want a buggy though deffinetly go with the B4 or XXX BK2. A truck will be easier to drive and will mostly likely be more enjoyable to drive then a buggy because it's wider and larger so it's more stable.

highroller
03-17-2006, 01:06 AM
Before putting down money on anything, visit the track or tracks where you might be racing. Find out what the rule structure is like and also what are some of the vehicles or classes that are run there. By talking with some of the racers, you will also get better ideas on setup help.
Some of the things you mentioned maybe allowed on a club level, but if track uses a ROAR or NORRCA rules format then certain items are not allowed.

oldschooler
03-17-2006, 07:34 PM
I have to agree with highroller. We dont race brushless against anything but brushless same for nitro although I would like to see a brushless against nitro class. I think I woulod have to join in for that. and you cant beat the associated trucks . I personally like the stock truck class its more about being the driver not the guy with the most $$$ and it makes it more competitive for all the beginners. Nothing against the guy with all the bucks and the top of the line equip. so dont take it the wrong way I like to run Mod too I just have more fun in the stock class.

ErikRC10
03-17-2006, 09:03 PM
oldschooler: I agree stock is more competitive and the most bucks doesn't matter but once you've gotten use to running modified stock just seems to slow. That's why I only run stock if I have to it gets to boring. Just my opion. When I was starting out though I was so bad it didn't matter if was running stock or modified I still couldn't drive. I was better with stock though.

I don't see why most tracks are still running brushless seperate. Well for some systems I can see why but I mean I know the LRP Sphere/Neo 1 is Roar legal because on AE's site it says' that Brent Thielke used LRP sphere and Neo 1 in the Winter Midwest Championship agianst brushed motor cars. He made the A-main in Factory ST, Factory 2wd, and Factory 4wd too.

oldschooler
03-18-2006, 11:41 AM
oldschooler: I agree stock is more competitive and the most bucks doesn't matter but once you've gotten use to running modified stock just seems to slow. That's why I only run stock if I have to it gets to boring. Just my opion. When I was starting out though I was so bad it didn't matter if was running stock or modified I still couldn't drive. I was better with stock though.

Have you ever compared lap times of the mod and the stockers?? You might be surprised .. LOL anyway I like running the Mod in my B3 on the street we have clocked it at 42mph with a 6 cell 3800 running a modest gear ratio . anyway that doesnt even compare to being on the track maybe down a straight but not anywhere else and I love the punch of the mod and hoping your squared up for the triple and hitting it wide open throttle and hoping for a safe landing thats something I cant do with the stock truck I double it and jump out of the last one. But what ever your running is cool as long as your out there supporting the hobby it will be around forever. Peace all, SK

ErikRC10
03-18-2006, 05:44 PM
lol I'm not comparing the lap times I just don't have as much power on tap. With stock I don't know if I allways have enough power to clear something with modified I never have to worry if I can triple or not. My lap times though are a couple of seconds faster with modified though. I actaully won the first 2wd modified race of the season today. I also go 2nd in modified truck with somebody else's truck that I'd never driven before (until the main) and with a half used pack (had used the battery earlier in my B4 for a quilifier).

oldschooler
03-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Hey bro thats cool keep up the winning . I understand about the power on tap situtation. I just have to be more careful without that extra power. Planning on how the truck / buggy will drive and fly like I said I cant make the triple without a mod so I double it and jump out of the last one then into the berm.It seems like I have to plan how I want the stocker to go around the track before i execute or I may be sitting on my lid. Peace, SK