PDA

View Full Version : Tamiya tire type A vs. type B3

peterknudsen
05-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Help me choosing te right tire.
I run on a dusty, technical track. Track temperature is normaly 20-25 degrees celsius.
My car is a tamiya TA-05 (almost stock), With a tamiya TZ motor.

Grizzbob
05-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Well, I can't be sure exactly(because I'm not sure of the conversion from Celcius to Farenheit), but I know that B3's definitely work best in warmer temps. To give you an idea, I heard back from a couple of my buds who went to the TCS race in memphis last weekend, & the temps there were in the high-60's to low-70's F(with some sun, but it was intermittent, sometimes sunny, othertimes cloudy), & they said the B3's would work well when the sun was shining on the track, but as soon as the cloud cover returned, they'd lose grip & have to go to the A's. If 20-25 C is that cool or cooler, then I'd say that Type A's would be your best choice(even though that could be pushing their own temp tolerance, they should still be better than B3's, since B3's were really made for the heat)..... :cool:

peterknudsen
05-07-2006, 02:19 PM
20 degrees celsius = 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

Grizzbob
05-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Ah, so you're right on that borderline from the sound of it. In that case, I'd start with A's & have some B3's ready in case it gets warmer..... :cool:

TEM
05-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Track temp and air-temp is not proportional to each other. The air temp could be like 25 celcius but the track temp is 40 celcius.

I'm too lazy to temp everything but just general guidelines I follow. When it's early in the morning and the sun isn't out, run A tires. When the sun comes out and the track is just warmish to the touch, run A tires. When it's in the afternoon and the sun is HOT and the track is HOT, run B3's. And you will know if you are running the wrong tires during the run if you dont get enough grip or overheat the tires part way through.

graeme_rsa
04-09-2007, 08:25 PM
Hi

Can anyone help me here?

What is the difference between the following tyres?

#53294 Type B (#53412 Type B/with wheels)
#53482 Type B2
#53705 Type B3

Mention is usually made between Type A (cool) and Type B (warm) but what are the differences in the B's?

TamiyaUsa list the B2's as discontinued but all are available elsewhere on eBay!

Cheers

Graeme http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Grizzbob
04-10-2007, 02:56 AM
I can't cite any personal experience with B2's, but everyone I've heard from who tried them said they just weren't very good. And while I think regular B's offer good grip(comparable I think to B3's in similar temps), my understanding is that they don't last many runs like that(maybe 2 or 3 at most before the grip really starts to go away). That's why you generally hear of TCS competitors only using A's or B3's(& that's what I've stocked up on for the Memphis TCS in a few weeks)..... :cool:

graeme_rsa
05-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi All

Just to add some info that I have discovered regarding the B series of tyres!

Tamiya B (#53294) are 26mm wide tyres with a high profile
Tamiya B2 and B3 are 24mm (medium narrow) with a much lower profile!

B3's last a long time! I have just run a 3 hour day/night enduro and the "tread" wear is insignificant! There is slight wear on the inside at the wall/tread - but the outer wall is shot! Nothing that super glue can't fix!

An average days racing is 3 x 5mins heats + 1 x 5mins final = 20 minutes!
180 minutes enduro = 9 race days and still going strong (with a bit of help from Super Glue:) )!

Cheers

Graeme