PDA

View Full Version : How do I take RC to the community?

Ninja Viper
05-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Hey guys, this idea has been brewing in me for a while and was re-ignited by a post I recently read.

This hobby has been so good to me, I can accredit it to keeping me out of a lot of trouble when I was a kid. I know that everything I have learned about RC's has benefitted me as an adult.

I have been sitting on this idea of how to take this hobby to the comminity and start to get this hobby introduced to some of the kids who could really use a positive outlet. I have come up with the name "Hobbies For Kids" and even though to start with it will be RC based I do not want it to be limited to only RC. I would love to see some of the other local clubs like the model rocket guys, slot cars and scale modelers get involved as well.

Purpose: To introduce kids to a hobby that because of financial means may not have been able to get involved in. To also provide a community of ongoing support and training for youth in the care and maintenance required in a hobby.

Mandate: To see youth introduced to hobby that will benefit them and create a positive outlet for youth to stay out of trouble and learn a skill (in a small way). These same youth will be encouraged to help others and train them what they have learned.

I have the vision, now I need your help to figure out the "how". Here is one idea I have had:

Join up with an organization that would support the vision and be our moral backing (Big Brothers was one thought). Through corporate sponsorships raise funds to buy 7 or more RCís (Stampede or Rustler) and all the supporting equipment (batteries, chargers, spare parts, ect) that would be needed to run them. Build a portable track and travel to various civic events and charge for people to drive them for limited amounts of time. All proceeds over and above costs would be used to purchase RCís and the supporting equipment needed to donate to underprivileged children on a case by case basis. We would also sponsor a membership in the local club and encourage them to participate in club events (picking them up and driving them, ect).

I am sure this is over simplifying things a bit but you get the idea. I am sure some of you must have organizations that have successfully or not attempted something like this.

Please give me any feedback you may have, just thoughts you have or something you know has been done before. I would appreciate any help in getting this thing off the ground.

quicklimegirl
05-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Remember those down-hill derbys where everyone built a car using the same kit (block of wood to carve,axles&wheels)? I would use the same principal. Everyone would build the same car kits in a class like environment. Then teach tuning skills and then let them tear-up the track together. Then they can take home their cars and respect them and the hobby.

Tig
05-16-2006, 08:03 AM
I think thats a great idea. Unfortunatelly, I dont think its going to be that easy to get any organizations (Big Brothers/Big Sisters, YMCA, Boys and Girls Club) to hand out money. It may be in your best interest to register as a small business titled "Hobbies for Kids", you can list it as a Non-Profit Organization, have letterhead made up along with plenty of business cards. Then, go to the above listed Orgazinations with a statement explaining what you are doing on your business letterhead.
Hope this helps, Good Luck

MrB1973
05-16-2006, 08:38 AM
I have an idea...how about this.

If you have a local hobby shop that runs a race track, how about getting them to run a spec race. You could then try to get local businesses to sponsor the race and cover the cost of the track, vehicles, supplies, etc. Next you can organize transportation, such as the local school bus company to transport the underpriveleged kids to the track. This way they don't have an excuse like "I had no way to get there".

Seems like everyone wins in that scenario. You of course would have to line up some volunteers, but I think that's a given no matter how you move forward.

Ninja Viper
05-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I know this would not be a simple thing to do but with a little hard work, some involvement from community businesses and a good board of directors this could really fly. I thought of a few changes to the plan last night:

Build a compound in the inner-city area, rely on the city for support for this part of the venture. This compound would house a track and pit area and would be the main gathering point for the group.

The group would have approximatley 10 RCs that would be sponsored by various companies in the community. They would pay for the initial purchase price plus the maintenance and parts. In-turn we would run a body with their company logos and post them on a sponsorship board in the compound.

We would run Saturday morning races and kids in the area could come and race for the day with on of the track cars on a first come, first serve basis. With excess funds raised we would buy RCs for the kids that show a real interest in the hobby based upon merit.

The association with Big Brothers would be more for moral support and not financial. Big brothers is an awesome organization that I really believe in and any way we could help them out would be awesome.