PDA

View Full Version : One Way Diff.

bebop
06-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi,

Whats the effect of having a one way diff. in a car and what is the diff between one way and ball diff. is it better to stick with ball diff.

Giant655
06-02-2006, 11:04 PM
One way diffs are a tuning option for touring cars. They allow the front wheels to spin much more freely off power but lock under acceleration, so it acts like a regular diff on decel, but also behaves like a solid axle under accel. One way diffs pull EXTREMEMELY hard out of a corner and are great for long sweeping tracks. But they do have an achilles heel, they do not like any sort of hard braking at all. Unless you take a few minute around the hardest braking sections of your track setting the brake EPA, every time you grab a handfull of brake, you'll loop the car out ( Dont ask me, I dont know why either!). Ball diffs are great for just about every track condition because they are easy to adjust and hold up very well also. But like I said earlier, it is a tuning option, it depends on the track. If you're track is a tight carpet style track, leave the one-way at home that weekend. If it is a big sweeper track with a few 180 turns, then throw the one way in, just be sure to set the brake correctly first!

bebop
06-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Ah. so thats why its doing that, looping!

snakecharmer89
06-04-2006, 12:01 PM
watch when your breaking on the back stretch... there are no brakes in the front with a one way installed... the car might try to swap ends.

brc358
06-04-2006, 01:42 PM
If you use a one way, what you want to do is dive into the corner as hard as you can, but TAP the brakes before you start the turn. As you come out of the apex of the turn, then get back on the throttle.
The trick to using a one way is to brake before you enter the turn.
Once you start using one, and learn the proper way to brake, you probably will not go back to a ball diff.
This is where the EPA comes into play.
If you drive hard into the corners, and have your EPA set high, you should have enough brake to be able to tap them, and then get off the brake before you start your turn.