PDA

View Full Version : what made you want to start rc

rs4 rally boi
06-13-2006, 11:03 PM
just curious as to why we do it and i like to learn from other people and hear thier stories.

Bunsincunsin
06-13-2006, 11:16 PM
For me, I got started at the age of around 12. My uncle always had his electric buggies out when we went camping and he would let me drive them. I thought they were pretty cool and alot of fun. I had wanted one for a long time but it was a little hard to spend all of that money on an RC car and not know if I would really get into it or not, especialy when I had to pay for all of it with my own money. Plus I like to work with things, take them apart, figure out how stuff works, what goes where, etc. When I got started I got a kit to help my understanding of how everything works, none of that "RTR" nonsence!

And now I am hooked! :eek:

kawasakirider
06-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Well i've always had electric cars since i was little and last september a m8 of mine was holidaying with us ( i hadn't seen him for nearly a year) and we went into a shop and saw this little electric silvia well we bought one each and bought batteries and everything. These things were pretty fun they would drift on cement and even had enough power to run through dirt but I (as usual) wanted more power. I kept looking on the internet as to how to make an electric motor faster but couldn't find anything and one day i was in a newsagent getting my motocross magazine that i usually get and i saw a magazine i now buy called racing lines. I bought that issue and it had an article about the lighting 2 rr (same as the one hara drives) and they put a collari xs 400 in it and the collari pipe and had pics of this thing shooting off a kicker ramp. At that moment i was hooked, i started to save and save until i had the $550 bucks for the GV rex-x (aka x-terminator) but luckily when i got the money the shop i was guying the rex off ran out of them so i looked else where and got the hyper 7 tq sport for $50 cheaper in december of 05 lol. I broke it in and had a long lerning curve but i have learnt so much about allot of things since and now this year i bought a limited edition savage and couldn't be happier. Im now starting to save for the revo 3.3

bebop
06-13-2006, 11:24 PM
I got started because of my stupid brother, he has one he told me to check it out read, watch rc vids and next day bought my first onroad car and now I have 4!!!! electric and nitro

paperclipracer
06-14-2006, 12:02 AM
well for me it was teh thrill of it all, and how you can really do anything to these cars to make them faster stronger etc.

RON F
06-14-2006, 07:20 AM
My wife. She bought a XXX-T for me for XMAS two years ago and I've been hooked ever since. :D

DaveG
06-14-2006, 07:33 AM
My dad built r/c planes before I was born so the stuff was always around the house. When I was 9 or 10 he bought me a line controled nitro airplane. I've been fooling with this stuff off and on ever since - over 40 years now.

4wdmt
06-14-2006, 08:43 AM
I still remember as if it was yesterday....

After watching a movie, My dad and I were about to go home when we passed a vacant parking lot with a fairly small group of people checking something out. There was hi-pitched "strage noise" originating from that place. Out of curiosity, we checked and found around 5 very fast small cars with smoke coming out at the side of the body. It was my first time seeing a hobby grade R/C. All I know before are the ones you find at the shopping mall. Then one guy took off the body and saw this little thingy! it is a small engine?!?! after asking questions and doing some research, I went to hobby shop and found out they nitro and are expensive! But I still checked around and found out its counterpart, electrics. Who couldn't resist seeing a tamiya hand drawn carton box. So, I went out of that hobby shop with an all brand new Tamiya king blackfoot, timed charger, 15mah stick pack and a basic futaba radio. Got hooked and spend so much ever since.

You didn't mentioned how you started rs4 rally boi.

brc358
06-14-2006, 09:18 AM
I got into the hobby because one of the reason is I ran out of room for my street rods. I have had over 109 real cars, and the ol garage was running out of space, so I "downsized" to RC, sold most of my cars, and now running out of room in my shop because of too many RC vehicles. The saying of getting hooked is all too true. But I am enjoying it very much, and have met a lot of great people in the RC community.

InTheZoneAC
06-14-2006, 11:06 AM
As a kid, got started when I was 6, tyco lasted until I was 12, I was always into TYCO/Radioshack R/C. I never had the ricochet(drives on either side, but always wanted one, or the bike you can drive, when it falls, the gyro helps it get back up.) but I had this one Tyco truck that could jump after going so fast, you just press the top shoulder button and it leaped. I had some others, a collection of cars/trucks from 1/24, 1/12, and 1/10. I even had a cheap ferrari that I think was 1/8.

Well back in New Orleans we found this hobby store called "Traxxas". At this point I was 11 years old. I remember this store having a huge selection of plastic models, r/c vehicles, and 2 tracks for slot cars, one for drag racing, and another track that sat on a table that was literally 30 feet long and at least 10 feet wide. The drag cars were going around 50 I think.

But anyway, I could remember reading through a traxxas magazine and there was this nitro traxxas truck, with a green body, and it looked so mean and fast. At the time it was their fastest truck, something like Traxxas Nitro Hawk. The second I saw that I wanted Nitro R/C. I have always preferred nitro over electric even before I could afford one. I also remember picking up their catalog and it has cars, nitro and electric, parts, and radios from everyone. My favorite was the HPI Nitro RS4 with the black viper body and orange flames.

My parents ended up getting me a go-cart later that year, but I didn't get a Nitro R/C until we moved back to NC the next year. We would go to wilimington and raleigh around once a month and just look around. Go to the mall, find and visit the HobbyTown USA :). So after a few visits my parents told me to pick out a car and a radio. I ended up getting a Nitro RS4 2 and a Hitec Lynx FM radio with it. $400 right there combined. That was a lot for us to be spending that long ago.

To this day I still have my Lynx FM and NRS4 2, upgraded with racing parts and a traxxas trx2.5 engine(about $1000 put into it, radio equipment included) and I still want to complete it. Need a graphite upper deck and a new tuned pipe(still have the old ribbed picco pipe).

And to go along with that I have a Savage 25 with a few upgrades and I just ordered some more upgrades for it, including a 3-speed. I also had a rc10gt, but sold it as parts since I never had a chance to put it in one working piece again.

So my little collection:

Almost fully modded Nitro RS4 2
Decent amount of mods to Savage 25
Lynx FM and Lynx 3d Radio. Both vehicles have a 600+ MG Hitec Servo, with the new standard hitec carbonite bb servos for throttle/brake.

Even though I didn't use these vehicles at all in the last year, I will never leave the hobby and now that I live back in a place where it's not freezing/snow 90% of the year I can enjoy driving my car and truck.

Only problem though is that I'm still looking for a track. There were no tracks available when I got my NRS4 and in ohio there were onroad tracks(all electric) but now I'm back in Jacksonville, NC and still looking for my first track, preferably an off-road one.

rs4 rally boi
06-14-2006, 12:36 PM
You didn't mentioned how you started rs4 rally boi.
your rite i didnt
I remeber when I was younger my family used to go to the 4h fair in a town close to where I lived. I always though it was pretty boring. Didnt realy care about the type of grain that people fed there horses so I would just go for the food. Then one year i saw a whole bunch of people gathered around a little fenced in area. So me and my father went over and they were running these little rc trucks. I had to say that it was the coolest thing that I had ever seen in my life. The way they were power sliding around the corners and how the drivers controled the cars with skill and made it look easy. At that point I knew I had to get one but it was something that seemed out of reach and I wasnt about to ask my parents to buy me a $180 "toy". fast foward to 3 years later when a borders book store was built in the mall up the street for my house. I was looking through the magazine isle for an import tuner and I stumbled across a copy of rcca and on the cover wass one of those little trucks that i saw all those years back. so I started reading and found out about all the differnt types of cars that were out there. by this time i was able to afford to buy car with my own money and I settled on a electric rs4 rally because of its price and liked how it could run both on and off road, and Ive been involed since. That was around 4 years ago and I think that this hobby is something that i will keep doing for many years and mabey one day I will be able to share this hobby with my kids if and when i have kids. :D

MrB1973
06-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I got started probably the same way most people did. A buddy of mine got a Tamiya Super Champ kit from his dad. I pretty much lived at their house so I watched as it went through the assembly stage and even went with them to some dirt pile somewhere so the could run it around. He even let me drive it a couple times..and I thought it was cool. So, naturally I asked my parents for one and they coughed up enough bones to get me a Radio Shack truck. Not knocking the 'rents, but this didn't cut it.
So, fast forward a few years and I found myself for one reason or another poking around the internet at work one day and boom...next thing I know I got an RC10T off eBay in a package deal with an Evader..that was about four years ago and I've been hooked ever since. I now have a TMaxx, TNX and an RC18T. Talk about fun. As for sharing with the new generation, you should see the grin on my daughter's face when I let her run around the driveway with the 18T...she loves it.

GTB_USER_ERIK
06-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Hello all,
I first got into this hobbie back in 1977.
I had a neigbour that was into Nitro Model airplanes, i mean this guy had a lot of planes hanging from his workshop, and here was a young kid who took an intrest in his models where his own son had none. So he indluged my intrest, and i started to learn how to fly controlline .049s combat planes. Let me tell you these planes were fast. And one weekend my dad and I went to a flyin, and we had a chance to see all kinds of Models as well as R/C Cars.
I was about 12 then,and i did'nt see another R/C Car for at least 4 or 5 years. I liked my Planes more.
but then I started to get in to R/C Flying, but it was starting to get exspensive also, and that was when I found out that for the same price I was paying for Airplanes I could be getting into cars. That was when I saw at the LHS an assossited Electric 1:12 Carpet car. I think I paid about 130.00 for this kit, w/no tires or body, or motor, electronics. I was hooked as soon as I charged and ran the first battries thru this car, IT WAS FAST.
Then I bought the Tamiya VW Bug R/C. A couple of years later was the Koshyo turboUltilmate 4WD, chaindrive.
Skip forward twenty years or so, inbtween my ModelRailRoad and my RC10T4
and the HPI MT2 electric conversion car, I'am HOOKED.
I hear there are support groups that can help those that are addicted to this sickness.

GearheadXNT2
06-14-2006, 03:19 PM
it all started for me the first time i saw the little hobbyshop on the corner of mainstreet. i walked in with my dad and i picked out a tamiya super hornet. that thing was pretty fast for a newbie. Considering that i'm only 13 and i started 6 years ago, one might say that i've been in the hobby for a fair amount of time. Now i have a racing-only losi XXXNT sport2, duratrax nitro evader( got as a present), A race modded rustler, a traxxas 4tec(won in a pink slip race!) and of course the super hornet. ive woked for all the mods on my vehicles and now i am HOOKED. cant stop thinkin bout these things!!

JDT
06-14-2006, 03:37 PM
My grandpa was into big boats, I always thought this was boring but one day he took me to the LHS for some servos, I saw my first Tamiya their that day, ended up with a Wild Wiley the same day, spent a couple years begging for money to buy parts, rides 20+ miles to get parts etc, spent a little time trying to be boy racer but then AYK stuck it in me and went out of business so parts started to dry up and I got out, got into BMX racing and spent nearly every penny from that point on on bicycles, this soon transitioned to mustangs, then jeeps, it took my love of jeeps to get back to rc, mother in law bought me a cheapy new bright jeep for like $40 at walmart, I beat that thing like a stepchild and drove it in water deeper than the hood and decided I needed to get back to rc as it was much cheaper than drag racing or rock crawling, although by now my rc habbit would have paid to put a pretty nice blower on the mustang in the old garage lol.

Neon_Dave
06-14-2006, 04:05 PM
I had been visiting a local hobby show yearly, and every now and then looked around the RC section. I rented a few out, drove them around, was really impressed by preformance - they sure beat the radioshacks I had from years before. And the flexible lightweight bodies were something neat too. I decided I MUST have one. After some research, and some asking around I came across hobby shops and manufacturers, and picked out a Tamiya TL-01 to be my first car. Before I got a chance to go to a shop and pick one up, the next year's hobby show came 'round. There, I met up with a really nice guy, John, from RcXpress, and we got a nice deal for an RTR TC3 (me and my friend) - $330 CDN - at this time they were still pretty new. They would become discontinued two years later...

And that's how the craze started. At this point, I don't have just red blood cells anymore. They're RC blood cells:) ... In other words, RC is infused in my life, and it quickly became my favourite hobby/passtime. So, here I am, with the TC3 and about $900 in upgrades for it, an HPI Micro RS4 with about $350, and a Blade CP Heli that is currently taking charge of my wallet;)

That's my story...
Cheers,
-Dave:)

ososlow
06-14-2006, 04:26 PM
I always used to admire my cousins Midnight Pumpkin. When he bought a King Blackfoot one christmas, he let me take it for a rip in the snow and I was hooked from then on.
I saved all my allowance for 6 months and used my birthday money to buy a Stampede kit, charger and some batteries. I already had a radio from a nitro boat I swapped my old bike for.