PDA

View Full Version : Money blues. Help Me with Ideas

sportmaxx91
06-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Ok i am 15 and my rc hobby os really starting to guzzle up my money. I need a creative way to make money. At first i tried what most rc people do. Look for good deals on ebay and try to resell for more money. Well thats not doing enough and i am not selling enough so now i have a bunch of xtra engines, servos, and other parts. Half of them i can't even use with my cars. LOL. Well i need a new way to make money. I know i could cut grass but everyone seems to be getting those lawn care services now. Being me i really want a CREATIVE and new way to make money. I am 15. I am thinking about getting a job at hobby town next year but i can't now. I can do all kinds of internet deals and stuff. Please if u have any ideas LMK. I think my parents r going to kill me cuz this hobby keeps stealing my cash. And on top of that i jsut bought a nitro vee that needs half the parts. (I couldn't resist Got it on ebay really cheap LOL) I have sold a few things i have but i need somnething big. In 7th grade i sold candy on the bus (made a bunch of money too). Just if u have any ideas LMK.

Baja-Destroyer
06-18-2006, 12:50 AM
i spent all my money on rc too where am i now u ask? yep im selling it all lol i think rc is more of an adult activity because it costs so much but ill be back in to it in 10 years but if it helps ever think of robbing a bank? lol

NotWalkinBlind
06-18-2006, 01:02 AM
First, you should ask your parents if there are any jobs around the house and yard you can do to make some money. There might be something like trimming some ivy off trees or off the house that your dad has been trying to find the time for and he'd love to pay you to do it. Or he might want you to move some lumber and stuff from the garage to a shed, or vice versa.

Also, not everyone wants to spend what it costs these days to have a lawn service come by every 2-3 weeks. Maybe ask around in a neighborhood of modestly-priced homes... like where I live... where people drive cars that aren't new... and make your price reasonable. Around here, if you went around and offered to cut the front and back yards (not big) for $20-25, a lot of people would take you up on it because lawn services would charge $40 or more for a 1-2 hour job. They might have two guys working, with one edging so they could do it faster. You gotta decide if you wanna say "All I do is cut... no edging"... or whatever. I think you could do well... if you did only 5 yards a week, that would be decent money for a guy your age.

And you might be able to do more than five... if the word gets out that you do good work and show up when you're supposed to, you might get more people wanting to hire you. You could also ask all these people if they have other stuff they need done... like what I said about the vines and moving lumber.

When you go around, try to go after 6 when the husband and wife are both home... or go on a Saturday. And dress decent and hand out some half-sheet sized flyers you made on your computer with your name, address, parents' names and your phone number... and a photo of your face if you can get that on there, too. It shows you're serious about it and the parents' names on there shows them you're not just some weirdo, and it will mean a lot that you're showing where you live.

You could ask your mom or dad to help you decide what to put on the flyer. If you go to someone's house, and they're not home, put the flyer under the doormat, sorta half hanging out, or stick it behind the storm door. Don't put it in the mailbox... it's against the law to open somebody's mailbox.

Come back and let us know how it goes.

tq_racing
06-18-2006, 01:49 AM
NotWalkingBlind has a very good idea, when I was your age thats what I did, I made up a flier with my price to mow a lawn, front and back or just front or just back. I also had a price for light duty work and heavy duty work. I had about 15 houses in my area that would call to have me do stuff around their house, on lady paid me $20 a week just to move her garbage can to the curb and back every week.

Just put the word out that you are looking for extra cash wth fliers and dont get upset if it does not boom right away but nows the time to do it.

Good Luck

sportmaxx91
06-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Well last year i made flyers and stuck them in the paper boxes. I got one job from that. I guess i could try again this year. Anyone else? THere is a city festival coming up. Looking for creative new things to sell to kids and teenagers. GOt anyideas?

HPI_freak
06-18-2006, 11:31 AM
rent one of your rc cars to people, offer an rc repair service, paint and sell rc bodies, offer some kind of service, like rc car cleaning or making custom stickers, maybe even online rc insureance? or theres alway aftermarket parts, you could make something original and sell it. like cut a pice of lexan, bend it a little, and paint it and you could sell it as a servo guard for the OFNA Jammin X1 CRT. TONS of people want a servo guard on there jammins, but no one sells them. check it out at www.truggyracers.com

just a few ideas

rocknbil
06-18-2006, 11:40 AM
...Being me i really want a CREATIVE and new way to make money.....

So what are you good at besides wheeling and dealing? What you are looking for is something that makes you a profit with very little work. You will need to apply the same creativity to coming up with a way to do that.

socalBash
06-18-2006, 02:51 PM
There's plenty of $$$ to be made on ebay in rc - you just need to be better at it. I know of several adults wheeling and dealing strictly RC as a full time occupation netting over $3k monthly - I cant imagine your income needs are greater than that?

Brian23
06-18-2006, 05:11 PM
i would just get a steadyt job that pays minimum wage- i got offerd a job at cyclesport in my town because i was there often and helped out sometimes-

sportmaxx91
06-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Well i am thinking of getting a job at hobbytown bt i turned 15 in april. they don't hire till ur 16. So till then i need something. HPI freak. THanx u gave me a few good ideas in the rc area. Were can i buy just like sheets of lexen? And how thick should i be looking at for servo gaurds? Is lexan easy to make stuff with? I have been watching ebay. I saw a REALLY good deal sosmeone got the other day for a lot of rc cars. I just didn't think of bidding cuz shipping would have been a mess. LOL RC car insurance. Nice idea but NOT. LOL I would be paying for repairs right and left. A bit too far for me. But its in the creative catagory. Thing is if i do something in the rc area it would have to be online cuz there isn't a track or too big of an rc group here in louisville.. Custon stickers would be a cool idea though. U have sparked a few ideas for me thanx

skeeter1255
06-19-2006, 12:43 AM
hey sportmaxx91 ure not the only one im with u there money is hard to come around with. Im 15 also but mowing lawns, taking garbage or watever is just out of the question weer i live every sing person pais so all that could be done, also i live in like a gated community so civilazation is like 5 miles away plus crossong traffic also the only thing i can work here is publix but they aint hirin and everything else is 17 years old, i got it worse den u.

sportmaxx91
06-19-2006, 02:19 AM
Good luck. I might pass around some lawn flyers within the next few days. A lot of places around here start at 16. I would just really liek to find something that i could do online. Or something i could sell online that would sell a lot. Is this more of a dream than a reality? It doesn't have to be RC related. Just something to bring me some incme

kawasakirider
06-19-2006, 06:04 AM
OK I know this sounds stupid, but after school everyday I put the change from my lunch money in a box (sometimes it was 20 cents other times it was 5 dollars) and doing that for a little while i got $500 in 2 months (just from saving not from jobs or anything) and I had extra money from other stuff I was doing. I know how you fell though I need a grand so I can buy a revo 3.3 lol

sportmaxx91
06-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Well i do try to keep xtra change and stuff like that in a jar. After awhile it does add up. LOL

skeeter1255
06-19-2006, 02:53 PM
ya ive tried that also, ussualy i get 3$ for breakfast every morning for scool but ussuall i have left ovr then I saved that up and I wahed cars like evey sunday charging 10$ a car I saved 180$ in two months.

Brian23
06-19-2006, 03:27 PM
kawisaki- you would have to be putting in over 10 dollars a day to get 500 in to months- now thats not really left over lunch money is it?

jebus your fate
06-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Im in the same boat as you but I am 13 :( I was thinking maybe soem computer shops around might tkae me on part time cause i a am handy with thjem but I doubt it, mowing gardens I would but it just wouldnt be right for soe reason, hto theres 106 houses here and theres pretty close XD 5 euro for both gardens (back and front) for say 15 people every 2 weeks would mean... 150 a month... then I am running a hosting comapny so thre could be litle profits form that and then theres doing stuff around the house and makeing server guards for for jammin's Im on it XD i got accsess to a vaccuum former so this couldnt be too hard :)

NotWalkinBlind
06-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Well last year i made flyers and stuck them in the paper boxes. I got one job from that. I guess i could try again this year.

I think if there's a pic of your face and you give your parents' name and address, it would immediately boost your credibility and you'd probably get a lot more business. Ask one or both of your parents what they think... and if they have any other ideas on ways to make the flyer better.

Also, IMO, it would be a LOT better if you knocked on doors and handed them out wearing some clean shorts and a t-shirt... and with a smile on your face so they can see you're not some wacko-lookin' dude... or put it behind the storm door or half under the footmat if no one is home. A lot of them could get tossed or ignored if you just put them in paper boxes.

Do you still have a copy of the flyer you made last year? Let's see it if you do.

sportmaxx91
06-20-2006, 12:50 PM
I do. I will have to find it though. Its on my moms harddrive downstairs.

Billabob91
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Well I'm 15 and i mow lawns, work for my dad, and tried working at Mcdonalds

kawasakirider
06-21-2006, 02:08 AM
kawisaki- you would have to be putting in over 10 dollars a day to get 500 in to months- now thats not really left over lunch money is it?

Well thats how long it took and thats all i was saving so yeah

apollo
06-21-2006, 02:11 AM
i always just mow yards, i can make about $150+ a month and its enough to finance whatever i need to buy, canvass the neighborhood and tell epeople you will mow while they are on vacation, thats what i have been doing and i make about $20 an hour average

MarkieMark231
06-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Until your 16 life sucks, hahaha. There is other ways to earn money #1 for me was babysitting I have 3 bros. so that was some fast cash and snoop around the town for mostly yardwork pick ups and what not

sportmaxx91
06-21-2006, 01:11 PM
OK thanx guys. I am going to be working on my boat today. I have to have it and my tmaxx running by JULY cuz i am going down to the lake. Although. If i get time i will try to find last years ad. Then i will post it here. Perfect it and distribute it.

ElectricThunder
06-21-2006, 01:23 PM
hey sportmaxx91 ure not the only one im with u there money is hard to come around with. Im 15 also but mowing lawns, taking garbage or watever is just out of the question weer i live every sing person pais so all that could be done, also i live in like a gated community so civilazation is like 5 miles away plus crossong traffic also the only thing i can work here is publix but they aint hirin and everything else is 17 years old, i got it worse den u.
I take it you live in Florida (Publix is only in Florida I think). Anyways, there's plenty of places to work. I started working at a restaurant when I was 15 as a server (Cheeburger Cheeburger). My friend was 14 when he got his first job there.

There's plenty of places that will hire 14 and 15 year olds. You just REALLY need to look hard. I work at a restaurant right now that typically never hires anyone below the age of 17 or 18, however, I got my second job from them when I was 15. It's possible with some determination (wait till you have to pay car insurance...REAL good motivation!:D), you just need to look harder than other people.

Anyways, what about washing peoples' cars? Walking dogs? Babysitting? Offering to fix others' RCs for a discounted price? Mowing lawns? Cleaning up peoples' yards?

skeeter1255
06-21-2006, 07:22 PM
I take it you live in Florida (Publix is only in Florida I think). Anyways, there's plenty of places to work. I started working at a restaurant when I was 15 as a server (Cheeburger Cheeburger). My friend was 14 when he got his first job there.

There's plenty of places that will hire 14 and 15 year olds. You just REALLY need to look hard. I work at a restaurant right now that typically never hires anyone below the age of 17 or 18, however, I got my second job from them when I was 15. It's possible with some determination (wait till you have to pay car insurance...REAL good motivation!:D), you just need to look harder than other people.

Anyways, what about washing peoples' cars? Walking dogs? Babysitting? Offering to fix others' RCs for a discounted price? Mowing lawns? Cleaning up peoples' yards?

Ya i live in florida....Miramar fl....... and were i live nuthing will hire till 17 theres only like 6 places i could work at and publix will hire but ey never called. and my parents are always working and its gonna be a hard time for me since then i mite not have a ride to and back from work thats a nother problem i have.

And ya I do wash cars My family has 4 cars and i wash them all making like 50$ only, no one else around here wants there car washed, everyone here has professional mowing service. barely anyone has a Dog and the ones who do dont want me to do it for money wen they could do it themselves plus i have a dog myself, I cant baby sit maybe family only no one needs baby sitting this place is too secure. and no one has any rc's where I live im the only one, and ya it gets lonely here. i dont even have any frieds around here cus im 15 everyone else is like 9 and under. this place is so qiest you can here a pin drop.

sportmaxx91
06-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah that sounds exactly like my situation cept there is tons of kids. I have 5 friends within 30 seconds walking distance. I know this sounds silly but for some reason i have become ther leader or something. I am the oldest(everyone else is like a year younger). I can never work on my cars cuz they r knocking on the door every 10 minutes ( i am NOT joking). If i am not out there they will not do anything. They will go and get everyone then if i won't come out every one of them migrates back inside. LOL its the funniest thing. I would love to fix rcs but im a loner. My friend was gona get one but is getting a puppt instead. LOL

kevin097
06-21-2006, 10:18 PM
just wondering wats a publix????

NotWalkinBlind
06-21-2006, 11:29 PM
just wondering wats a publix????It's a grocery store chain... I heard that years ago they were in Florida only, but now they've moved on out... we have 'em here in SC now. I guess if you wanna find out how widely they have expanded, there's always Google.com or Ask.com.
:cool:

kevin097
06-22-2006, 09:26 PM
i thought it was a gated community but i did do a search and i found the grocery store chain lol whoops

skeeter1255
06-22-2006, 09:40 PM
ohh sorry I thought publix was all over not just in florida maybe I should of said something else instead.

Losi Stealth
06-23-2006, 11:18 PM
I think if there's a pic of your face and you give your parents' name and address, it would immediately boost your credibility and you'd probably get a lot more business. Ask one or both of your parents what they think... and if they have any other ideas on ways to make the flyer better.

Also, IMO, it would be a LOT better if you knocked on doors and handed them out wearing some clean shorts and a t-shirt... and with a smile on your face so they can see you're not some wacko-lookin' dude... or put it behind the storm door or half under the footmat if no one is home. A lot of them could get tossed or ignored if you just put them in paper boxes.

Do you still have a copy of the flyer you made last year? Let's see it if you do.

Definately actually talk to people. If you make a good impression AND undercut their current service, you've got a good chance. If you take the initiative to talk to people it shows you have a decent work ethic. Mowing lawns is respectable, and doing more deffinately attracts people's attention. Lawn services are impersonal, and lazy. The guys who do our neighbor's lawn barely know where the property line is, and don't edge, don't weedwhack, and barely cut the lawn in the first place. If you're flexible, just charge a little extra (look at the market, call one of the places and see if they'll give you an estimate for your lawn, then set your prices slightly below that and offer better service, thats the game of capitalism). You can do it, it will just take some hard work.