PDA

View Full Version : Drifting wheels?

Zar
06-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I have seen a pair on a webpage. I dont see what makes them "drifting" wheels besides the name?

jebus your fate
06-20-2006, 05:47 AM
they are very very hard usualy compared to the average weel which means they have much less traction which means ( :o ) that it breaks into a drift quite easily :)

Zar
06-20-2006, 12:19 PM
they are very very hard usualy compared to the average weel which means they have much less traction which means ( :o ) that it breaks into a drift quite easily :)
huh,there is a diff. Thanks.

rs4 rally boi
06-20-2006, 08:44 PM
whered you see them could u post a link if possible

RCRevolution
06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
thats why people say use PVC its something hard that lets you break loose, those PVC lets you break too loose.

the drifting rubber lets u break loose and still hit those higher speeds with some traction.

rs4 rally boi
06-20-2006, 09:25 PM
the whole thot of using pvc pipe disgust me. thats not authentic and you cant call that drifting with any kind of pride. just my opinion don take it seriously to start a flame war or anything.

^j!nx^
06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
best way to drift is with tape. It lets you get nearly full traction in a straight line, but will let you get slideways with very little effert.

ducati777
06-20-2006, 11:29 PM
You're not going to drift with full rubber tires. Sure you can skid, you can spin out, but don't expect to hold a drift. Drift tires, PVC, tape, all of those make sliding possible. Nice long controlled slides, and they look awesome. So your choice is to either get drift wheels and actually drift, or to stick to rubber and only spin out uncontrollably. Its up to you.

rezenclowd3
06-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Actually ducati777, it is possible to drift with full rubber tires. Right now I use the HPI Stage-D drift tires on my NTC3 and it works pretty decent, although it still has too much grip.(for me anyway) I really havent spun out uncontrollably with either tires. I find I like ABS plastic a little better as it has just a touch more grip, and its black so it looks more like a tire.

MarkieMark231
06-21-2006, 03:20 AM
You can drift with ANY tire nuff said. Hell you can even drift with MT tires but if you get the "slicks" or "Drifting" Specific tire it will be much easier. Alot also depends on your gearing you not doing speed runs remember ;)

RCRevolution
06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
best way to drift is with tape. It lets you get nearly full traction in a straight line, but will let you get slideways with very little effert.

is that tape over the tire or rim? i can't imagine how much of a pain that will be taping the torn up tape off rubber tires

ducati777
06-21-2006, 10:52 PM
On my M18 I'd use electric tape over the tires. It would do long dreamy drifts, it was so much fun to drive on the garage floor. I'd sweep it, and put down 2 cones and try to keep a figure 8 in drift as much as I could. The tape was easy to pull off, I'd put about 3 loops on the tire.

I really want to try 10th scale drift wheels on my rc18t. Its brushless, which was too difficult to drift with on the M18, so I'll probably have to keep the speed pretty high. I'm looking forward to it.

Oh and the M18 was really fun until I decided to put the 3s lipo/brushless from the RC18T in it. I blew all 4 tires, and both diffs.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/shoehorn.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/ducati777/100_1175.jpg

Combatcm
06-22-2006, 04:31 AM
HPI's stage D tires rock. They are a hard rubber compound that's relatively quiet and smooth. You can drive around normal slow and then you can hit the throttle and break loose.

I wouldn't use tape or pvc or anything else. I wonder why not many people use them?

They make a good "smoky burnout" tire also. I've lit them up a few times and they don't wear. You just need to have the horsepower.

Prelude14WRX
06-22-2006, 11:22 AM
For someone that wants to drift at a very cheap price....PVC is the way to go! I just got bitten by the drift bug. I've tried electrical tape on rubber tires, but it wears out in one run. PVC gives me awesome, controlled drifts. Who cares if you go fast when you drift?...its about style.

rs4 rally boi
06-22-2006, 05:45 PM
edited**

microrcdude
06-22-2006, 06:36 PM
I highly reccomend that you start on PVC with some cheap wheels. Its not worth it to go spend $40 on yokomo's specially made in japan if you dont know what your doing. As you get better, You can move to different tires. DO NOT drift actual rubbers(not drift tires) if you dont know what your doing. Your just gonna cause yourself some major headaches.

rezenclowd3
06-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Unless you use a huge parking lot:-) But really, with rubber drift tires, you NEED to spend time to find a setup that will cause a controlled drift, while also making it easy to break free.