PDA

View Full Version : Transaction etiquette: What would you do?

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 02:13 AM
This is just to get a marginal vote amung the fellow members here as to how you would handle this situation. I've recently re-aqainted myself into R/C all over again. After much research, I decided what I wanted to start out with. Of course, to get the best deals, I say skip Ebay, and check out the R/C forums Buy/Sell/Trade areas. :cool: My purpose? To find a nice roller, and build it up myself, when money/time permits.

Now, since the other individual involved is a fellow member here, they will be left anonymous. Alright, before anyone assumes this is just another "rip-off" thread, I can put your minds at ease and tell you it is not so. In-fact, I am here IN-SUPPORT of the fellow member, to see what the best course of action I should take, so that I do not offend this individual. Here are some of the facts that I know, at this point:

- I know that, based upon the tracking #, it was accepted/processed on June 22nd
- I know that the fellow member keeps great communication, and always replies promptly, in the event I have a question/concern.
- I know this individual has not been on the forums since the 30th, but that can easily be attributed to the holiday, summer, or just family vacation.
- I have contacted USPS regarding this particular pkg, and they simply stated that I wait 2 weeks (July 7th), then begin the claiming process (which would actually have to be started by the other member, not myself)
- Unfortunately, I also know that, unless you had insurance on the pkg, there's almost NO chance of getting monitary replacement for the cost of the item, much less even be able to prove what it is you shipped. :(

So, here is where you come in, guys'n'gals.........

What would you do? Would you contact this individual (in the event that USPS says, "Tough cookies!") and request that you have 1/2 the amt of $$$ returned to you, splitting the loss down the middle? I mean, I cannot blame the other individual at all, since I did not request/demand that they ship w/ insurance. Would you ask for ALL of your money back? This would require a well-thought explanation, cause even I couldn't see myself asking for it ALL back :p

One thing I DO know,....from now on, it's insurance, insurance, INSURANCE! That way, it protects both parties involved.

Tell me what'cha think, folks. Thanks for reading!

balang_479
07-04-2006, 07:22 AM
if the tracking has found the package it means that it has been sent and it is out of the hand of the seller, so i would start contacting the postal servoce when you can, also wait a while because the delivery times can vary by a large amount,

itll come as it has been sent, patience

pyro18t
07-04-2006, 08:38 AM
x2 patience, it's the holiday things go slower

Vato Loco
07-04-2006, 08:48 AM
I'd give it 10 days from the DAY it was Shipped! From there If it's lost The sell is not at fault! as for him not being around suddenly, something might of come up that was very important? Crap can does get lost when dealing UPS, FEDX, USPS, and DHL. With out insurance your screwed if the shipper lost it!

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks all who posted thus far. :)

I apologize if there was any confusion as to what I was asking. I was simply looking for your opinion as to what you would do IN THE EVENT IT IS LOST, after the waiting period has exceeded (14 days). Certianly, I understand those of you saying to wait, have patience, etc.

Basically, all I am asking is, would it be fair-in-nature to request 1/2 the $$ back? I know it's a little pre-emptive for me to make assumptions as to it's where-about just yet. I guess I'm a pessimist at heart when it comes to trusting the US Postal Service *grumbles profanities* :mad:

pyro18t
07-04-2006, 09:21 AM
yeah i think i would ask for half back, why wasnt it insured!?

Duster_360
07-04-2006, 09:56 AM
If I read your note correctly, it was your oversight to not to ask for insurance. I really don't see where you have any legitimate expectation for any financial help from the seller over the loss. Sorry, just my .02.

I never buy anything, Ebay or otherwise without insurance. I hope tracking will find it and it turns up.

UntuchablSS
07-04-2006, 10:11 AM
I would think it's long shot that you'll get even a quarter of it back. I've had the same thing happen to me with a $40 part. However it's my carrier that's a lazy, fat ass, staying in the truck rather than getting out of it to put it in the proper mailbox, idiot. She gave my package to someone here in my development and I had someone else's. This happened twice in as many days. Now I have to depend on the honesty of the "receiver" to return it to the Post Office or to bring it to my address. Here it's clearly the carriers fault, but the first question the Post Master asked was if I had insurance. Which of course I didn't.
Is it the senders fault? No...you didn't ask for it to be insured. If you had and it weren't insured by the seller as instructed, that's a different story, then again you're depending on someone you really don't know to be as honest as you (doesn't always happen).
As a seller, if this where to happen, I couldn't give the money back...there's a reason I put the thing up for sale, I needed the money. Even after the package was lost, I still need the money as much as this would suck for the buyer...next time, buy insurance...chalk it up under the lesson learned column.
Think of it this way, if you hadn't potentially "lost" what you bought now, you would probably still not purchase insurance on your future purchases (it's a safe assumption based on this thread), who's to say the item you may loose in the future be of lesser value? (Notice I didn't say cost).
I wouldn't ask for even an eigth back...it's not the sellers fault. Hopefully, he/she will do what they can to try and find it. As you also may know, the USPS Delivery Confirmation numbers mean absolutely nothing. Many instances, I've had the package in hand before they updated their records.

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Good point, Duster. Now, I paid via Paypal PRIOR to the seller shipping the item. As stated, in the future, I will commit to NO transaction until it is agreed that an insurance rate equal to, or greater than the price of the item, is applied.

With that said, let me present you with this example......

If we agreed upon COD, then would it be fair of you to say that the seller should not recieve payment, since it never arrived to it's intended destination?

I suppose it's my integrity getting the best of me, but I'd be more-than-willing to part with 1/2 payment. *shrugs* Guess it's just the way I was raised?

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 10:19 AM
yeah i think i would ask for half back, why wasnt it insured!?

Buyer's head-space issue? LOL :p

tadium54
07-04-2006, 11:57 AM
if it was cod, then yes, i could see not giving money to the seller, or atleast not the full amount.

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 12:33 PM
if it was cod, then yes, i could see not giving money to the seller, or atleast not the full amount.

Right. In which case, I would be more-than-happy to send them(or any one of you, for that matter) half of the amt. :)

NotWalkinBlind
07-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Why didn't you just wait until the 14 days was up before you did anything... especially starting this thread? This package could turn up any day now and all the time and effort people expended here would be... a waste.

In fact, that's probably what will occur.

You're asking about "transaction etiquette"... how about some "posting my problems etiquette?" You don't even really have a problem yet.

:D

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 01:04 PM
True. But, then again, I never stated that I had a problem. Simply a delay in delivery. I suppose the fact that USPS rarely(if EVER) updates their tracking as they SAY they do is contributing to my "paranoia", if you will. :p

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 01:08 PM
WHY-O-WHY CAN I NOT JUST BE LEFT TO FESTER IN MY OWN PARANOIA!?!?!?!

SERENITY NOW!!!!!

(Ok,...sorry 'bout that,....bored; sitting here waiting to go to family BBQ :p )

NotWalkinBlind
07-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Some postal worker took it home last week and gave it to his kid.

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't see that being far from the truth, actually. LOL

I picture the box stating, "FRAGILE! R/C car inside" :p

bensb4
07-04-2006, 01:42 PM
i would have paid for the extra ups ground,tracking and insurance if buying from another member on here.you need to do what you need to to protect yourself.

id wait a bit because he may be away for the holiday,and see if it comes in.thats why i always let my ebay buyers know "my default shipping is usps no tracking.if you want insurance and tracking its extra at your request.if your going to be cheap then dont get pissy if it gets lost.once i take it to be shipped i already did what i had to do,if you didnt thats your problem"

beleive me ive had to go as far as sending ebay a copy of the usps receipt to get some cheapskate off my back.

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Yikes, man.

Yeah,...online purchasing (aside from retail) is a bit new to me. Live'n'learn......and now I know :)

hardadz
07-04-2006, 02:34 PM
XXWoodmanXX
Just wondering what did you purchase and was it a private sale or from a online shop selling on the forums? you never mentioned this in earlier post..

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 04:55 PM
No, it was from a fellow member.

As for specifics, I'd rather not say, to protect the anonymous. :)

pyro18t
07-04-2006, 06:07 PM
No, it was from a fellow member.

As for specifics, I'd rather not say, to protect the anonymous. :)

Well what happens when "anonymous" reads this and freaks out?

Honestly I think this is a matter that should have been kept private untill you KNEW for sure that your package was lost... then I would have asked what to do... maybe, I would have still probably kept it between myself and the seller.

Jay

XXWoodmanXX
07-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Nothing at all to "freak out" over, really. It could very-well be here tomorrow, and if it does not arrive, then it does not arrive. The other party involved did his/her job just fine. The blame here lies on the postal service.

This is no smear campaign, nor is it a mark on the individual. It's not as if I'm counting the hours until July 7th, then ripping the individual up'n'down in the Trader Feedback forum, warning all who read it. Regardless of whether or not this person reads it before the situation resolves itself is of no concern to me at all. I'm just presenting a "What would YOU do IF....?" question to y'all. :)

guver
07-05-2006, 12:42 AM
I would simply contact seller and work it out between the both of you, but like you said, there's no problem. I kept reading post and thought I missed it because you told us everything , but what actually happened. I realise that nothing has happened yet. The package was probably sent cheapest way and may take over 30 days if it was parcel post and a big box.

guver
07-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Here's what I do when selling, if someone offers me a "shipped" price. If I accept it then I ship it parcel post with no other extras. A large parcel [post box can take over 30 days to get to destination. If someone request insurance I will self insure the package as it is nearly imossible to get any money for replacement cost even if all the hoops are jumped thru.

The best deal for me has been priority mail and it usually takes 1-4 days for anywhere in the usa.

Maybe I am the seller?

XXWoodmanXX
07-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Possibly? :confused:

J/K ! :p

pyro18t
07-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Nothing at all to "freak out" over, really. It could very-well be here tomorrow, and if it does not arrive, then it does not arrive. The other party involved did his/her job just fine. The blame here lies on the postal service.

This is no smear campaign, nor is it a mark on the individual. It's not as if I'm counting the hours until July 7th, then ripping the individual up'n'down in the Trader Feedback forum, warning all who read it. Regardless of whether or not this person reads it before the situation resolves itself is of no concern to me at all. I'm just presenting a "What would YOU do IF....?" question to y'all. :)

OK, well either way best of luck to you and the seller.

Jay

nicholcgn
07-05-2006, 12:52 PM
If you did not request insurance you are out of luck in my book. If there was inferrence of being insured you should get all the money. As I have sold things who am I to decide that you must take insurance? I highly recommend it and if I think it is important I just hide it in the shipping cost or in the cost of the product I am selling.

If you think you will be selling things over time you should always include insurance in cost. It takes 1000 compliments to get rid of 1 black mark.

Some carriers have a base insurance already included depending on how it is shipped. I doubt your package is lost. Normally they end up damaged or returned to the original shipper.

XXWoodmanXX
07-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Well, guys/gals, what can I say, other than.......

IT ARRIVED! :D

Moral is, I will request/ship with insurance in the future, to prevent any future worries from arising. To protect both myself, and the seller on the other end. :)

pyro18t
07-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Moral is, I will request/ship with insurance in the future, to prevent any future worries from arising. To protect both myself, and the seller on the other end. :)

VERY glad to hear it! :D

Maxxcrazy
07-05-2006, 08:14 PM
Why didn't you just wait until the 14 days was up before you did anything... especially starting this thread? This package could turn up any day now and all the time and effort people expended here would be... a waste.

In fact, that's probably what will occur.

You're asking about "transaction etiquette"... how about some "posting my problems etiquette?" You don't even really have a problem yet.

Someone was right...

guver
07-05-2006, 08:27 PM
My last ordeal was a buyer who 2 days after the large item shipped parcel post e-mailed me with worry and then 1 day later threatened to file a fraud report with paypal. No harm I supose. I was not happy, but probably the person does not know how long is a normal shipment.

PS insurance would not have helped in either case, the insurance cost far more than it's worth. I guess that's why it called insurance then,,,

XXWoodmanXX
07-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Someone was right...

What is being "right"? It was really a 50% chance, was it not? The thread's intention was NOT to muster, it was MEANT to inquire about character judgement.

Now, if YOUR opinion was to wait, then state so. Let's not ride other's coattails and use hidesight, thinking it's an appropriate response. :rolleyes:

pyro18t
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
SO..... what did you get LOL, if it's anyhting good, I want pictures!

Jay

Duster_360
07-05-2006, 09:21 PM

I had feeling it might show up after the 4th. Glad you got it!! Two lessons learned - insurance and a little patience.

I know how it feels to not receive something you've bought. But of all the stuff I've bought catalog, mail order, Ebay, forums etc, there has only been one item I never received and that was over 20yrs ago. I hope the guy that got my motorcycle chain choked on it, lol!!

PS - If it was a COD transaction, buyer would have had to show me proof he sent it and we would have started at half price. Paypal is different though. On expensive PayPal purchases, use a credit card. Its saved me once - wrote letter explaining it to card company and they went after the woman - $400 worth of ink cartridges I never received which she claimed she "forgot" to send.

pyro18t
07-05-2006, 09:23 PM
I had feeling it might show up after the 4th. Glad you got it!! Two lessons learned - insurance and a little patience.

I know how it feels to not receive something you've bought. But of all the stuff I've bought catalog, mail order, Ebay, forums etc, there has only been one item I never received and that was over 20yrs ago. I hope the guy that got my motorcycle chain choked on it, lol!!

Why he want to eat a motorcycle chain? ;)

Duster_360
07-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Why he want to eat a motorcycle chain? ;)

Thats what I wanted him to do with it, lol!!! :D

At the time all I had for transportation was a motorcycle with a badly worn chain. It was a big piece of my paycheck, being a grad student on a tresearch stipend. The loss hurt, I had to wait another full month to buy another. You don't forget stuff like that.

XXWoodmanXX
07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Man-o-man, I remember how hard it USED to be to order parts. Some of the young'ns here wouldn't know much about an old thing called "mail order" via catalog. LOL When I was stationed in Germany, it would take FOREVER to get the parts, and that was if they sent you the RIGHT parts in the first place! hehe

Thx, Duster. Yes,.....patience and insurance. Two lessons well-learned. :)

pyro18t
07-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Man-o-man, I remember how hard it USED to be to order parts. Some of the young'ns here wouldn't know much about an old thing called "mail order" via catalog. LOL When I was stationed in Germany, it would take FOREVER to get the parts, and that was if they sent you the RIGHT parts in the first place! hehe

Thx, Duster. Yes,.....patience and insurance. Two lessons well-learned. :)

yeah I'm here in Ramstein now, but luckly it only takes about a week. But I know what your talking about I got into RC when RCCA was still in black and white and only 70pages ;) what was that like 1992 or 1993 I think. My first car was a Tamiya Stadium Blitzer (stadium thunder now, same truck tho) Man that think was a tank, the I got a "midnight" motor man that thing was fast LOL!!!!!!! oh those were the days.

So you dragged us through this whole post... what did you buy?

Jay

XXWoodmanXX
07-05-2006, 11:00 PM
TB02 Merc

This thing is sweeeeeet.

Yeah, around 93-94 was when I got my first R/C (Tamiya TA02 Warsteiner M3) when I was over there, then over in Korea. Man, looking back on Korea now, I kinda feel bad. I was racing against alot of locals over there, on an E-4 pay-grade+seperation pay (roughly $1400/mo. at that time) and these college kids were lucky to be making $100 a month!!! Needless to say, my hopped-up M3 on a stock Green Monster blew them outta the water. LOL

badboy2
07-06-2006, 03:42 AM
are u sure the trcking he gave u was legit?ive traded and sold a lot of stuffs too and my opinion is until the package is received by the recipient its still the sellers responsibilty..if its losts in transit he should at least give ur money back or if the buyer is considerate like you,youre ok if u get 50% of your money...does it show that the package was processed at the post office or it says that the post office was notified that a package is being shipped with a certain tracking #?i kno they can genrate theyre own tracking#..good luck

pyro18t
07-06-2006, 07:25 AM
are u sure the trcking he gave u was legit?ive traded and sold a lot of stuffs too and my opinion is until the package is received by the recipient its still the sellers responsibilty..if its losts in transit he should at least give ur money back or if the buyer is considerate like you,youre ok if u get 50% of your money...does it show that the package was processed at the post office or it says that the post office was notified that a package is being shipped with a certain tracking #?i kno they can genrate theyre own tracking#..good luck

UH.....he already got it. :rolleyes:

Jay