PDA

View Full Version : Sealing ..Waterproofing an MGT

gary1911
12-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Just in case it gets wet what are you guys using on the trucks and cars. Just silicone? Any trouble spots to pay extra attention to on a MGT. :wave: :wave:

Question questions

Gary

4DMNYC
12-19-2006, 09:19 AM
The only thing I seal up on the MGT is the radio box. Liquid always seems to find it's way in there. I guess you should try to seal up the steering servo if you plan to run in snow,but I never do. Never had any problems. I would definitly try to blow dry it quickly after you run it though, especialy if it's gets really wet. Or blow the moisture off with an air compressor.

gary1911
12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
The only thing I seal up on the MGT is the radio box. Liquid always seems to find it's way in there. I guess you should try to seal up the steering servo if you plan to run in snow,but I never do. Never had any problems. I would definitly try to blow dry it quickly after you run it though, especialy if it's gets really wet. Or blow the moisture off with an air compressor.

Thanks 4D,
Would you just use some silicone or...........

A hair dryer seems like a good idea also.

Thanks again

4DMNYC
12-21-2006, 09:32 AM
I just use large water balloons. It's a bit crude, and ghetto looking. but it works great. For the radio box you can slip a large water baloon right over it. Just poke the antena straw through it and pull it down as far as possible. You can use silicone, but you want to be able to get into the box afterward without having to clean up too much. Silicone is good for sealing servo's though.

Shazz1234
12-21-2006, 09:43 AM
how do you seal a servo using silicone? wouldn't it sease up the movement of the arm?

And more importantly, how do you use a large water balloon to waterproof a stadium truck? Is it just a matter of stretching it over the entire chassis? What about the air filter/pull start/engine etc? My idea is to try and run it down the beach, but I wana protect it from the sand as much as possible...

4DMNYC
12-21-2006, 09:54 AM
You only put the water balloon over a specific piece of equipment. Not the whole truck.

To seal up a servo with silicone you can do one of two things. Smear alittle around the seal of the servo, or open the case and carefully apply some silicone on the edge of both halves of the case, making sure not to get any inside the case.

The beach is a whole different story. You really need to worry more about sand getting into gear cases and carbs. And salt water is very bad for your rc, I don't recomend running in it, even though I've done it a few times. :D

roadrunnerdude
12-21-2006, 10:10 AM
how do you seal a servo using silicone? wouldn't it sease up the movement of the arm?

And more importantly, how do you use a large water balloon to waterproof a stadium truck? Is it just a matter of stretching it over the entire chassis? What about the air filter/pull start/engine etc? My idea is to try and run it down the beach, but I wana protect it from the sand as much as possible...
you thinly spread silicon caulk on the case. preferably with your finger. . and then put silicon grease.. yes grease not silicon its self
gobbed on around the output shaft. that way its sealed then put your servo arm back on.