PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Boating around Chicago

vladig
06-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone around my parts is boating and if so where????

mjmsprt40
06-09-2007, 09:15 PM
There's a few clubs around, though I don't know where most of them hang out . I run my boats at 167th and Cicero, down in Oak Forest. The Marquette R/C Model Boat Club hangs out there, and you'll usually find one of us about most Sundays. You're welcome to come on down and have a look-see.

Ron Olson
06-14-2007, 02:27 AM
www.impba4.com might help you to find some of the clubs and racers in your area. Check with the LHS's like Al's.
The Illini Powerboaters just lost their site at Chicagoland Speedway because the track is under new ownership and I don't know if anyone is still holding races at the forest preserve SW of O'Hare but some people are still running there (Lake Ida?).
You might catch Gary and David Preusse running there.

Tuslow1
07-08-2007, 07:45 AM
MJM, what types of power are they running on Cicero? I'm thinking about taking a boat or two out there...

mjmsprt40
07-08-2007, 10:13 AM
We're running nitro and gasoline, every now and then I see an electric show up. If it's a quiet day, I might try to slip in my sailboat, but not if we've got much traffic. Hydros and sail don't mix well, so I keep my 50/800 off the water when they're running.

Tuslow1
07-08-2007, 02:18 PM
I think I will take one of each out today, look for the white S-10 if you come.

davec-nitro-rs4
07-08-2007, 02:46 PM
A few Chicago casual boaters can be found on

www.chitownrc.com
and
www.paylesshobbies.com

Ron Olson
07-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Dave, I checked out the site and saw in there that somebody had mentioned my name!
Don't tell them but I'm not as smart as some people think but that's my opinion. :D
There are a lot of RC boaters in the Chi-town area that I am in awe of. You guys just happen to live in one of those areas that have a huge amount of talent and knowledge.

davec-nitro-rs4
07-08-2007, 03:39 PM
Small world, for sure!

I think everyone in Chicago knows Al's Hobby or Leisure Hours, in Joliet.

I don't run boats, but I know 2-3 guys that do. For me, swimming out to the stalled boat is too much work!

Ron Olson
07-09-2007, 12:53 AM
I know of Al's but have never been there. I've seen Cindy at a few races but its been a while since I've been on that side of Lake Michigan to race.
Most of my parts I get from Gary Preusse as he doesn't have a formal hobby shop but does business out of his house. He's in one of the Chicago suburbs.