PDA

View Full Version : Car Set-Up - Off Balance

JeffEmbracedDC
07-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey, guys.

So I have a car (Brushless converted Hyper 7 PBS) and it's quite a bit heavier on the "passenger"/"right" side than it is on the left side. With symmetrical suspension set up the right side ride height is probably 8mm lower than the left side.

Should I leave it how it is, or is there something I can do to improve it?

I'm sorry if I sound like a n00b. But I haven't really driven it so I don't know if it's really affecting handling.. although I would assume an 8mm ride height would definitely cause some issued on the track. Does anyone know if I can do anything aside from relocating components or adding weight to the other side? Should I add more shock preloads to even out the ride height or would that cause more problems?

Thanks, guys.

-Jeff

mikemaxx14
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
jeff id put stiffer springs on the side that is lower.

JeffEmbracedDC
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
jeff id put stiffer springs on the side that is lower.

Stiffer springs on one side would likely make me pull to one side in bumpy sections. One side would have more traction than the other.

What is the exact function of preloads (or shock collars on threaded shocks)? Do they JUST adjust ride-height.. or do they also function in stiffening springs some how? If they're JUST meant to adjust ride-height and weight transfer.. I should just be able to add more preloads.. which would transfer weight to the opposite side evening out the entire thing (at least, while it's on the ground it would be even...)...

-Jeff

atm92484_3
07-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Preload spacers or threaded collars just adjust right height on the spring; they do not adjust the rate unless its a progressive spring (but 99.9% of rc car springs are not so don't worry).

If you wanted to get fancy, get 4 small scales and set your corner weights with those. The goal is to have the corner weights on the scale for the LF and RF identical and for the LR and RR identical when the scales are set on a level surface.

If you set ride height first and then adjust the corner weights and you cannot get something close, they you may have to add weight or relocate stuff.

evst 360
07-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Stiffer springs on one side would likely make me pull to one side in bumpy sections. One side would have more traction than the other.

What is the exact function of preloads (or shock collars on threaded shocks)? Do they JUST adjust ride-height.. or do they also function in stiffening springs some how? If they're JUST meant to adjust ride-height and weight transfer.. I should just be able to add more preloads.. which would transfer weight to the opposite side evening out the entire thing (at least, while it's on the ground it would be even...)...

-JeffThe preload is to make the springs act like they are a little stiffer. But consequently, it will raise the car up a bit. I think thats why, on some cars, there are grub screws in the arms to limit travel.

JeffEmbracedDC
07-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks, guys.

I have thought about the 4-scale idea.. and then I thought.. "well if you can do it with 4 scales.. you can do it with ONE scale..."... Just make a platform around your scale platform for the other 3 wheels to sit.... rotate the car around and measure each wheel individually and adjust accordingly. Does that make sense? It seems like that would work...

I'll go ahead and just add more preloads and see how it feels on the track next time I go.

Thanks, guys :)

-Jeff

terrible-t
07-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Changing preloads ride height wont help. off road taking a jump it will take off ascewed, landing off centered or right side hit the ground first. You have to add weight to the lighter side. And keep the preload constant on all 4 corners.

atm92484_3
07-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Jeff, that would also work; its just going to take longer since you won't be able to see the weight on all 4's at the same time and you might not be able to make adjustments to opposite corners to level the chassis without moving the scales.

B4 Stealth
07-31-2007, 04:52 PM
preload does not affect spring stiffness. only ride height. just add preload to the low side and see if jumping is affected.