PDA

View Full Version : sealing air intake what to use?

AKASHA
08-03-2007, 11:54 PM
I have done the mod for the motors aver air filter to fit the revo intake tube, but didn't use the shoe glue or whatever was suggested on that site. Instead I used aquarium silicone thinking it has a higher tensile strength. well you probably guessed it didn't hold. I have striped it all off and am looking at other alternatives now. and no shoe glue isnt one of them as the small town I live in probably doesn't have any, anywhere. And the cost of getting it shipped is going to make it absolutely not worth it.
I am honesty thinking about taking this damn thing out in the shop tomorrow and just fiberglassing the two together and forgetting about it, but I don't want to drag all that stuff out for a 3 minute patch job. I am not sure if 100% silicone is going to offer any different results than the aquarium sealant did.
Hot glue, imo that is going to become brittle and end up breaking over time leaving me in this same position again.Any other suggestions?

stanmondz
08-04-2007, 12:36 AM
fiberglass it that will hold up

rccardude04
08-04-2007, 05:33 AM
If you have a wal-mart, there is shoe go in the shoe area.
-Eric

LD3Furious
08-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Go to your local auto parts store and pick up some O2 sensor safe gasket maker/silicone. Be sure whatever you get is O2 sensor safe...I use Permatex Ultra Copper. You will have to keep an eye out cause it may deteriorate after some use, but this would likely be your best bet.

terrible-t
08-05-2007, 02:50 AM
Gasket maker will be fine. Even weather stripping compound. Stay away from hot glue , it'll melt from engine heat.

hijacker
08-05-2007, 05:48 PM
What is the mod you are working on?

adamzty
08-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Go to your local auto parts store and pick up some O2 sensor safe gasket maker/silicone. Be sure whatever you get is O2 sensor safe...I use Permatex Ultra Copper. You will have to keep an eye out cause it may deteriorate after some use, but this would likely be your best bet.
^^^^^^^Thats the exact thing I use and it workes great:D

AKASHA
08-07-2007, 11:42 PM
What is the mod you are working on?

http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42178

I decided to keep the stock air tube as it is larger in diameter than the motor saver tube. Funny after all the helpful advice, I just ran a thicker bead of silicone. It lasted much longer than the r/c did anyways lol. She is down for the count for a while now :( Have other ore important priorities that need to be taken care of first, then its back to the chop shop. I think I will give the Permatex a shot though, definably can't hurt anything and I might find a useful tool for future (problems) projects.

zakerid
08-09-2007, 07:01 AM
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/air-filter/nrevo-air-filter.asp
I didn't need any shoe goo after this mod. Just made sure that the fit was really tight... and it is.

AKASHA
08-09-2007, 07:20 AM
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/air-filter/nrevo-air-filter.asp
I didn't need any shoe goo after this mod. Just made sure that the fit was really tight... and it is.

same thing, just a different persons write up on how to do it. it is snug, but not air tight. well it is now with the addition of the sealant, but ya.