PDA

View Full Version : A cool solution to my "not being able to see that car" problem...

balang_479
08-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Well, its not that I cant seen the car, its my pit man, my dad, that has real trouble spotting the car out of all of them, and especially when its dark and dusty.

Unfortunately we dont have night spot lights at our tracks like in America, so in the winter when it gets dark around 4-5 PM it becomes hard to see that cars...
to solve it i made this:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/balang_479/546.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/balang_479/445.jpg

simple 2 LED system in a fuel tubing and powered by a 9v battery, the battery doesnt really weigh much, and performance is never really an issue, this will greatly improve my current situation of having it hard to spot the car in dark dusty situations.

zueslilbuddy
08-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Great idea bet it looks really cool when it gets darker.

MattHiggins
08-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I like it.

ElectricThunder
08-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Neat. I have trouble seeing my truck at night (the street lamps here suck). So it's just two LEDs in some fuel tubing you say? That seems to greatly amplify overall visibilty (I have some LEDs that are bright if you look directly at them (oops?), but not too far from the center, they stink. I think I'll try your fuel tube idea.:)

vaderbxman
08-12-2007, 07:07 PM
A lazy-man's soluthon would be glow-sticks, but I like the look of the LED's overall.

Cool Idea!

atm92484_3
08-12-2007, 07:34 PM
That looks pretty cool. I'm sure if you take it out at night, you could freak out some neighbors as well. :)

I don't know if its available in Italy, but Parma makes a glow in the dark additive for their flourescent paints. If you don't back these paints with a solid color like white, they're somewhat translucent. It might look really cool doing a body with these paints and the additive and having the LED behind it.

balang_479
08-12-2007, 08:13 PM
That looks pretty cool. I'm sure if you take it out at night, you could freak out some neighbors as well. :)

I don't know if its available in Italy, but Parma makes a glow in the dark additive for their flourescent paints. If you don't back these paints with a solid color like white, they're somewhat translucent. It might look really cool doing a body with these paints and the additive and having the LED behind it.

that would be awesome... maybe for the next body.

their basically two LED wired in parallel, they have their resistors soldered to them, dont know what Resistor as they came pre-made... and fuel tubing does the trick (i used green), rubbery so it can bounce around no problem, i just have to make sure it doesnt interfere with any drivetrain or steering...

i havent seen anyone do this around here, or anywhere for racing, so hopefully it will turn some heads at the race track as well... or start a trend--
:D

XXWoodmanXX
08-12-2007, 09:19 PM
I bet some of those UV LEDs off Ebay + some florescent fuel tubing would be quite an interesting look as well. :cool:

Nice idea, man.

xfusion
08-13-2007, 04:35 AM
If you're running the LEDs directly off of the 9V battery without a resistor to moderate the voltages reaching the LEDs you're going to burn them out in a hurry. For under 12v you need a 1ohm resistor to keep it safe.

Eli the rc guy
08-13-2007, 05:44 AM
^_^ i like the glow stick idea, yuupp.. Great Idea with the LED's That thing really shows ( drool )

rccardude04
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
If you're running the LEDs directly off of the 9V battery without a resistor to moderate the voltages reaching the LEDs you're going to burn them out in a hurry. For under 12v you need a 1ohm resistor to keep it safe.

their basically two LED wired in parallel, they have their resistors soldered to them, dont know what Resistor as they came pre-made...

:D

Anyway, great idea! I might have to try that on something... if nothing else just to freak people out! :)
-Eric

xfusion
08-13-2007, 02:36 PM
LOL I can't be bothered to read all the responses :p

But putting the resistors in parallel is bad too with or without resistors, keep them in series. Ya gr.11 physics put to use (god that was a long time ago).

balang_479
08-13-2007, 06:13 PM
the resistors are in series, the two LEDs are in parallel, just to clear things up. :D