PDA

View Full Version : Inflate your RC tires!? hahaha

Figit090
08-12-2007, 07:02 PM
i've heard of this idea before. i think we determined it would be excessively bouncy and not worth the trouble of even trying it, but i had to post and see what everybody thinks and find out if anybody has tried it. maybe i missed something? but i dont think i did. i have to say it would be fun to try but...meh. lol...

check it out, its up for auction on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/1Tire-Inflation-Kit-proline-losi-hpi-cen-traxxas-imex_W0QQitemZ170138854995QQihZ007QQcategoryZ44029 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Figit090
08-12-2007, 07:05 PM
oh goodness here are some more.

i have to say they would be really cool if this is in fact real... i can't say that inflatable offroad tires would work for crawling thought it seems the already used crawling tires mold so well that adding air would only make things worse...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panther-drag-tires-Inflatable-Hpi-Losi-Traxxas-monster_W0QQitemZ170138369361QQihZ007QQcategoryZ44 029QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

vaderbxman
08-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Rated #1 by RC enthusiasts eh?

I didn't see that on reader's choice! :D

nitro syco
08-12-2007, 07:13 PM
I have to say that is the most rediculous thing I have ever seen, foams are good, they absorb the surface, at least for offroad I would never use that, not to mention it is very hard to get a perfect glue that will hold without separating in one small area

atm92484_3
08-12-2007, 07:24 PM
I think trying out a fully pneumatic tire would be very interesting. It opens the door to another set of tuning/chassis options and issues by allowing you to alter pressures. I think to fully see any advantage (if there is one), you would need to rethink your suspension set up since the tire could be significantly stiffer than it previously was with a foam insert.

First, I don't think modifying a set of normal tires is the way to go - they simply are not designed for this. A large portion of what makes up a pneumatic tire is the construction below the rubber that makes up the carcass and the side wall. As far as I know/have seen (correct me if I'm wrong on this), but RC tires are 1 compound of rubber throughout. The foam insert is what actually provides stability to the tire and eliminates the need for any internal structure. My thoughts would be with no insert, no plies/internal structure, and just air, these tires are going to have very little stability in the sidewall.

Second, I would be very curious to see what kind of pressures would be required. It wouldn't be surprising if these pressures were below 10 psi, in which case gauging this pressure could be difficult. If the pressures were different from side to side, its going to do some really bad things to handling - on such a small scale, it could be a very small difference.

The pressure of air is also naturally unstable. Anyone whos done anything with 1:1 cars can attest that you have to set tire pressures once the tire is hot. I would be interested to see what kind of heat a fully pneumatic rc tire would build; it may not be very much since rc cars are pretty light.

I guess my last concern would be the durability of existing tires. A 1/8 buggy revving when its caught on a tube can wear the tread from a soft tire so I'd be concerned about how impervious a set up like this would be to leaks and side loading from bad landings and sharp stuff.

It seems like with how light rc tires/wheels are and the speeds they spin at, that valve stem would also require some decent counter weights in order for the tire to balance.

tntpower
08-12-2007, 07:36 PM
I can see a commentator on this on a race:

" He's first with only one minute to the end and a flat to his left front wheel forcing him to use his spare!:D

ericem
08-12-2007, 09:20 PM
In order to use air. The tires need to be much more hard. Using a tire that usually uses a foam is WAY to soft. If the manufacture made the tires intended for air, meaning there are belts in the wheels it would perform very well. I saw a vid of a savage with air tires LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL When he jumped the thing kepts hopping. Then he went into a lake. Which rc enthusiasts did he ask exactly?

B4 Stealth
08-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I think this could work very well with an innertube type setup, such as found in bikes and motor scooters. whether this would work well on the track is yet to be seen, but with an innertube setup it would work as a pneumatic tire, plus it would work with modern tires.

sportmaxx91
08-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes exactly, I thik its a good idea but it needs to be perfected. You need inner tubes, and the tire needs to be designed for air.

ElectricThunder
08-12-2007, 11:32 PM
I wonder how it'd affect ballooning and what kind of difference in centripetal force (if any) would occur vs. a standard non-pneumatic wheel/tire combo.

atm92484_3
08-13-2007, 12:08 AM
If its done right, the tire would probably balloon less since it would be stiffer.

ericem
08-13-2007, 12:17 AM
It would not balloon at all if there are belts in the wheels :)

ElectricThunder
08-13-2007, 12:49 AM
It would not balloon at all if there are belts in the wheels :)

That'd be sweet; belted, pneumatic offroad tires. I can imagine they'd be quite heavy though...

ericem
08-13-2007, 01:07 AM
depends really. If its steel belted sure. Rubber belted shouldn't be that bad.

racinmason
08-13-2007, 03:34 PM
i think this would really be great for the scale builders who are going for a realistic look but i think its alittle much for racing. having to worry about belted tires and keeping them on the rim, flat tires... that would suck. little inner tubes. still kinda neat but I think i'll stay with my foams.

Figit090
08-13-2007, 04:24 PM
look at the pics an inflated normal RC tire is already ballooned :P

steel belts would make production and end user costs of rc tires astronomical.

dual compound tires i figure wouldn't be really cheap either.

i think this would be cool with the jumbo-maxx tires to make the truck float but that's been done before. lol...

i asked the guy and he didnt tell me how the valve system worked.

they are simply blown up via lung power so its not that many PSI. supposedly.

JeffEmbracedDC
08-13-2007, 04:51 PM
that's the stupidest product I've ever seen.

Figit090
08-13-2007, 05:29 PM

:p

i do think inflatable drag tires would be kinda cool, i bet it would make for some cool burnouts with a front braking setup.... over inflate them just a tad...perfect.

adamzty
08-13-2007, 05:40 PM
I think this inflatable tire thing is stupid....

I could get 2 sets of tires AND rims for that money....and what about leaks...its just a stupis idea...

nitro syco
08-13-2007, 08:01 PM

Now thats what I have been waiting to hear.

dalejrfan8
08-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Ill stick with foam in my tires.

Figit090
08-14-2007, 06:00 PM
yeah this is pretty much what i expected to hear.

but i have to say, i will probably attempt to do this once i have a set of tires that's used up.

the problem is, i dont have that yet :P my t-maxx tires are SO durable they will never wear out...

RichieRich
08-16-2007, 03:25 PM
I think it's the greatest idea since the can opener that moves the sharp end from the lid to the top of the can. :D

B4 Stealth
08-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I think it's the greatest idea since the can opener that moves the sharp end from the lid to the top of the can. :D

hahahahaha rotflmao x2 !!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

EDS
08-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Ewww theres no way I am putting my mouth on my off-road tires. It would be like giving CPR adn then the guys at the track would ask why you are making out with your tires.

GSMnow
08-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I think I will stick with foams as well, but I have thought about belting. Some of the truggy guys are using duct tape stuck to the inside of the tread of the tires to reduce ballooning and that got me thinking. Strapping tape? Window screen material (nylon, fibre glass, aluminum, steel)? Fishing line? How do we bond those? This opens a ton of tuning options. Air is nice, but I really don't think it is practical in 1/10 scale. For the low pressures, use a water column gauge. They are incredibly accurate. Watch the pressure triple in the sun though 8-O

atm92484_3
08-16-2007, 10:04 PM
I think for the belting to be 100% effective, manufacturers would need to make it part of the construction of the tire.

As for bonding some lightweight material (fiberglass cloth would probably also work along with what you mentioned), you could probably use RTV, Shoe-Goo, or some similar, flexible sealant.

trailranger
08-16-2007, 10:54 PM
How hard would it be to make a tire?

Just make the tires like bicylce tires: wrap rubber around a tube, lay the tread reinfocement, rubber sheeting, casing reinforcement and beading then final layer of air-proof rubber sheeting. Once heat fused together, slide off tube, flip inside out and mount onto a injection mold. Inflate tire to balloon out the inner tire and inject the silicone tread onto the outside.

I know that would make the cost of our tires jump to about $30 to 45 a set like an individual bicycle tires, but I am sure it could be worth it. The tires I have on my road bike are dual compounds for faster cruising speed and more aggresive corner speed.

Apply this to monster truck buggies and crawlers, and you can have lighter tires that perform better all around. Just look at any off-road tire and you can see the extra rubber webbing and thick casing that can be eliminated by using cassing/tread reinforcements.

quicklimegirl
08-17-2007, 05:47 AM
You can buy foam rubber in areosol cans. Get the kind that shoots through a straw. Drill a small hole in rim sqirt it in. More foam = harder tire.

JDT
08-17-2007, 08:18 AM
I think without to much work you could mount a set of 2.2 buggy rears inside the beads of a truck wheel and then put a set of truck tires over them using the inside tire as a tube, it would be interesting to see but would be nearly $100 for 8 tires and four rims, then you have to figure out how to put and keep the air in

ericem
08-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I am sure someone sells tubes that size. Maybe a tube from a gas scooter wheel.

Figit090
08-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Ewww theres no way I am putting my mouth on my off-road tires. It would be like giving CPR adn then the guys at the track would ask why you are making out with your tires.

hahahahahaha:D

quicklimegirl
08-17-2007, 07:50 PM
I am sure someone sells tubes that side. Maybe a tube from a gas scooter wheel.

huh?

Figit090
08-17-2007, 10:30 PM
*size. gas-powered mini-scooters have small pnumatic tires, and apparently...tubes to match

ericem
08-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Yes size sorry and thanks. LOL

08-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Fully-pneumatic tires would be best on scale RC's, not so much the ones we tear up the place with. I could see them being popular with the King Hauler crowd, and making an inflatable tire for those things could help their ride and realisticness. I cant see them taking the abuse of a hard race, however, with the way RC's slide and the tire rules currently in place.

As for the valve stem, we could use the same type of setup a basketball uses, embedded in a specially made dual-purpose rim. This rim would have the type of bead to seal a pneumatic tire, but the same bead would also capture, without glue, a foam tire and foam so the racer can use either at his discretion. If a Foam tire were used, there'd have to be a valve that would vent the pressure that is generated when said tire is compressed. I've mounted a foam-style tire on a lego rim, sealed it off and slammed it into the desk. It sounded like a blowout and nicked the bead...Good thing that truck no longer runs, eh?