PDA

View Full Version : question about wings?

rustla
08-14-2007, 01:59 AM
ok i was wondering if wings on RC actually help(im still kinda new to RC so no need to flame on me) i was wondering because i got a Ford GT body for my rustler and i modified it to fit and i put the wing on, and thats when i started wondering,do they work like full scale wings do for fullscale cars, or are they just for looks for RC's, and also, if they do make a difference, will i notice a difference in highspeed handling?(i cant drive it right now due to broken bearing carrier)

jacsac
08-14-2007, 04:31 AM
They make a difference. Especially at high speeds and in the air.

balang_479
08-14-2007, 06:38 AM
They do make a difference but the strength varies on different forms of car Cars.

Onroad 1/8, their crutial (SP?) as their travel at incredibly high speeds even round the corners so downforce really improves handling.
even touring cars and 2WD 4WD Buggies they significantly help.

On truggies or Buggies they help but ive tried running without to test it and found not much difference... but off the jumps it did, the car seems to nose down more often, and maybe even on the high speed turns the rear end stepped out a bit.

marca
08-14-2007, 07:56 AM
yup I've noticed a difference from when i had my wing on and off when i go off jumps. The nose of the buggy will dive into the floor. causing it to flip over sometimes causing damage.

rccardude04
08-14-2007, 09:54 AM
There's another thread running around somewhere about downforce with touring car bodies.
And yeah, they make a big difference, especially if you have something with absolutely no downforce whatsoever. 2 good examples personally.
Buddy had a pan car that had no body mounts, but a mamba max 7700 and an 8 cell nimh pack. Needless to say, the thing was fast. At about 30-40mph, you couldn't drive the car. It'd start bouncing around so bad you had no choice but to spin. We put a big wing from a Kyosho TR15 buggy on it, and the thing sticks like glue. You can easily get it to top out as long as you don't spin the tires too hard.
The other example is my little BoLink Digger. The thing would actually start lifting off the ground at about the same speed... 30-35. I put a fairly small touring car wing on the back of it, and just estimating, it looks like it tops out around 45-55 (overgeared 11x3 built motor with a matched battery and geared to the moon).
-Eric

rustla
08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
so will i maybe notice a difference for my rustler at speeds?

crazy4wdracer
08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
wings help handling at high speed and over jumps.

balang_479
08-14-2007, 05:02 PM
so will i maybe notice a difference for my rustler at speeds?

i think all goes down to how fast you ruslter is.. if you intend going over 30mph then a little wing a the back might make a small difference, but not much, there isnt much aerodynamics involved with it, id mount a stadium truck style wing just for looks.

got2bqik
08-14-2007, 07:13 PM
We run 1/10 stadium trucks during lunch at work. All brushless all on at least IB4200 batteries. I know mine is geared for 32mph. Anyhow the stock wing came off the other day and I could not keep the back end under it. So yes I believe it does help.
Tim