PDA

View Full Version : new to it

youngage
08-24-2007, 07:30 AM
hey everyone i am new to this thing and have some questions

1. are the rc vehicles easy to build?

2. what tools will i need?

3. would i need to upgrade anyparts for a fast car? or they fast enough as is?

4. i looked at the shells of the body and they are clear...so i have to paint it, and add decals my self?

5. also batteries, do they come with car or i gettem too? how long do they last and are there different types that last longer than others?

thats all for building questions and i have one last one

i checked on the tamiya site the otherday bc i wanted the ferari fxx rc it went for around 270

i went to the hobby shop in my city and it was i believe alot cheaper, like in the 170's i think...

whats up with that?

josh222
08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
1, That depends on the kit and the skill of the builder, a TT01 which is the chassis that Ferrari is on is a simple kit to build. It comes in kit and rtr(ready to run) versions, I would recommend the kit as you will how it works and how to fix it.

2, Tools... You will need standard pliers, needle nose pliers, several sizes of philps screw drivers, a hobby knife. Metric socket driver isn't needed but it would make it easier to build. Also need CA Glue for the tires.

3, For a TT01 I would recommend replacing the bushing it has in the drive train with Ball Bearings, not only do they make it faster they reduce wear. I would also recommend getting the aluminum center drive shaft just for durability.

4 The body needs to be cut out and painted with Lexan paint you will find at the Hobby shop, they come with a decal sheet. You paint the body from the inside.

5 They do not come with batteries, you need to buy those. For your intended use and budget batteries either come in two chemistries, NiCd and NiMH. NiCd are cheaper and so are the chargers but they generaly come in a 1400to 2400mah sizes. With a stock tamiya motor you would get run times of around 10-15minutes. I would recommend not cheeping out on batteries as they really bring out the speed of your car so I would go with NiMH batteries. NiMH batteries generally come in 3000 to 4500mah sizes giving you in most cases more power and much longer run times. They need a Peak style charger which cost more than the timer chargers that NiCd can use.

The prices you saw on Tamiya's website are MRSP prices, they are always much cheaper in the store.

youngage
08-24-2007, 08:03 AM
lol hey man your up early....

ok but u told me to get teh factory built ready to run versions?

no thank you

i get more satisfaction from building my own. lol

also the car isnt a tt01, it said TA05 on the site...

also shoudl i get a regular car or a drift car? can drift cars still do normal turns and drive straight?

YOU LIVE IN ONTARIO? where? toronto or markham by anychance?

josh222
08-24-2007, 08:14 AM
I said kit. That body comes on two different chassis, either the TA05 or TT01 so make sure you get the right one. TA05 I would go for as it is a much nicer car with racing potential. I am in Brampton, close enough. Actually I just got home from working:rolleyes:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r83/HpiJosh222/100_0915.jpg

youngage
08-24-2007, 08:25 AM
oh...i guess you work night shift inn some manufacturing place...lol

ok i should just get the TA05? i dont understand what you mean by kit.

i am new to this stuff, mind me being a noob

or shoudl i get like everything separate?

like the car than body and does the radio come with the car, the "KIT"? or i need to get that too?

josh222
08-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Kits are what the name imply's, a bunch of parts in a box, Ready to Run is already built and painted and has radio. Kit has no radio or servo so you will need that aswell. The kit comes with a body

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r83/HpiJosh222/100_0878.jpg

youngage
08-24-2007, 08:37 AM
yea so a kit is just the car itself with no radio no nothing just the car?

josh222
08-24-2007, 08:42 AM
yes. All you get is car, body, tires/wheels, motor and speed control. You need radio gear and batteries.

marca
08-24-2007, 08:44 AM
right! you will need to get a esc ( electronic speed control), a charger, a battery, radio and servo. But sometimes the servo comes with the radio

youngage
08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
ok i still dont know what to get tho... a drift car or a normal car?

also what brand is the best, reliable and best performance?

youngage
08-24-2007, 09:01 AM
and whats a esc? and a servo?

marca
08-24-2007, 09:02 AM
well I'm not much of an on road guy but. i do know that tamiya makes awesome kits with great instruction manuals.

marca
08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
and whats a esc? and a servo?

an esc is an electronic speed control. it controls the amount of power that is supplied to the motor. for example when you go 1/2 throttle it will only supply half power. a servo is a small box that allows you to turn your wheels left and right. heres a good tutorial.
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/guide/servos.html

youngage
08-24-2007, 09:08 AM
lol AWSOMEso tamiya makes the best instructuion manuals?

also if i get a r/c that runs on fuel will it last longer than battery? and will it be more expensive and harder to build?

and whats a esc and a servo?

youngage
08-24-2007, 09:12 AM
also which kit is better TA05 or the TT01R

tmacfan4321
08-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Don't double post man, just use the edit button to edit your previous post.

As for your first question, the car may or may not run longer than a nitro, it all depends on battery capacity, motor and esc.

As for which car is better, it is all personal preference, the TT01 or TT01R is a better "basher" while the TA05 is probably a better racer.