PDA

View Full Version : nitro cars vs electric cars

youngage
08-24-2007, 10:59 AM
ok, i want to get an r/c car, but i dont know what to get...!?

i know that each electric car can run from 10-15 minutes

how long can gas cars run for?

also are they alot harder to build and maintain,?

lastly is price...more expensive? and does it need everything a electric car needs? or even more?

would i be better off with a nitro car or electric car?

i want a mix of both speed with traction and drift

which should i get?

NotWalkinBlind
08-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Read through these threads... they might help you decide... lots of good info... some of these threads include discussions about off-road nitro vs. electric, but they're still worth reading. Since you mentioned "drift" I assume you're interested in on-road.

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=241426&highlight=nitro+electric

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=240090&highlight=nitro+electric

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=238465&highlight=nitro+electric

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=238266&highlight=nitro+electric

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=237016&highlight=nitro+electric

Are there any hobby shops and tracks in your area? You'd probably want to get something that is being raced there so you can join in the fun.

evst 360
08-24-2007, 04:51 PM
ok, i want to get an r/c car, but i dont know what to get...!?

i know that each electric car can run from 10-15 minutes

how long can gas cars run for?

also are they alot harder to build and maintain,?

lastly is price...more expensive? and does it need everything a electric car needs? or even more?

would i be better off with a nitro car or electric car?

i want a mix of both speed with traction and drift

which should i get?
Electric is good to start with. It will allow you to get the basics, without the hassle of a nitro engine. The price depends on what you want. It sounds like you want a drift car, so you dont need a high end brushless system and lipo batts. Judging by your other threads you want a kit (which is good) you will probably need to buy the electronics, which can range from $50 (cheap stuff) to way over $100 for the better stuff. Gas cars usually run for about 8 minutes on a tank, on a good tune. Building them is about the same, but they require more maintenance because its an internal combustion engine, not an electric motor. I'd say go with an electric for your first car, and then go to nitro later.

youngage
08-24-2007, 05:05 PM
ok so even electric cars run longer?

and also nitro's are harder to build as well?

adamzty
08-24-2007, 05:12 PM
um...you dont have to start 2 different threads on the smae exact thing....I replied to your other thread...

youngage
08-24-2007, 05:18 PM
ok srry i am just excited....

u didnt respond to my other thread

evst 360
08-24-2007, 05:29 PM
ok so even electric cars run longer?

and also nitro's are harder to build as well?If you get the right stuff, one battery in an electric will outlast one tank in a nitro car. But nitro has the advantage of re-fueling, so theoretically it could go forever. But electric just requires a batt swap. For building nitro is probably a little harder, but for the most part they are the same.

youngage
08-24-2007, 05:34 PM
but i am a beginner would you reccomend for me to start with electric or go to gas right away?

are nitro ones alot faster than electric?

Metla
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Start with Electric.

And a mild motor.

evst 360
08-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Well I said earlier its best to start off with electric. Out of the box, nitros are faster than electrics, but with a few mods, electrics can be just as fast, and faster than nitro. It all depends on what you get.

youngage
08-24-2007, 05:39 PM
ok i guess i will get electric...

what choices do i have?

tt01
ta05
?
?
any of those good for racing and drifting?

youngage
08-24-2007, 05:40 PM
hpi better or tamiya? what other companies are good or better? i want good and clear instructions for its my first time:p

Metla
08-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Out of those 2 buy the TA05, and in a months time you can bolt in a cheap motor that will make her go 5 times as fast.

Racing?

Well, the car will be more capable then your skill level, so yes.

Drifting?

Anything can drift depending on driver skill, tires, and 2 minutes of tweaking.

youngage
08-24-2007, 05:46 PM
tweaking what? lol

and a new motor? the stock motor is ****?

adamzty
08-24-2007, 05:49 PM
I use a tamiya TT-01 for drifting and it works great. you have to lock up the rear diff with play-do and get ABS pipe for tires.

Metla
08-24-2007, 05:51 PM
tweaking what? lol

and a new motor? the stock motor is ****?

The stock motor is perfect for learning, There is some skill involved. No use breaking it on the first run. Hell, I have been driving these beasties for 25 years and I still hit stuff.

As for tweaking, I mean crap like toe-in,ride height, etc etc, Usually a car is setup to hold its line like its on rails, To drift you want it to break out sideways but in a controllable way.

youngage
08-24-2007, 06:15 PM
no... but would i be better off with a tt01 or a ta05?

lets get that outta the way first.

adamzty
08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
It depends on what you want...

TT01 = shaft drive
TA05 = belt drive
That is the major difference between them.

shaft drive is better for drifting IMO...

youngage
08-24-2007, 06:23 PM
then whats the perfect car that is in between the two?

a tt03? lol?

adamzty
08-24-2007, 06:28 PM
TT01 - I have had one for a while now and its a great little car for drifting...I love it!

TA05 - I have heard of it, but I dont know much about it nor have I ever had/seen one...so mabye sombody else could help ya out with this car...

If you want some great advice...z-man280 had a thread called Project Slidewayz (search for it) and you should have a look at that...lot of intresting info and tips on making the car a good drifter. I have the exact same car as in that thread.

Metla
08-24-2007, 06:32 PM
They are completely different, a TA-05 is a far superior bit of kit, Though a TT-01 may suit you fine.

I personally wouldn't want another TT-01, They have plastic bushes rather then bearings (crap,need to be replaced), spring shocks(crap, need to be replaced) and the steering is all plastic on plastic.

I sold mine as soon as I finished building it.

Anyhow, what brands/kits does your local hobby store stock?...if thats where you are going to purchase.

youngage
08-24-2007, 06:35 PM
hmmm they have team ascosiated, hpi, kyosho, tamiya and team x-ray

so the ta05 has all metal parts or more metal parts? making it more durable?

also shoudl i break in the engine i have now and get used to driving these beasts or switch straight to a faster engine?

youngage
08-24-2007, 07:01 PM
i will start a poll see what people think...

adamzty
08-24-2007, 08:15 PM
They are completely different, a TA-05 is a far superior bit of kit, Though a TT-01 may suit you fine.

I personally wouldn't want another TT-01, They have plastic bushes rather then bearings (crap,need to be replaced), spring shocks(crap, need to be replaced) and the steering is all plastic on plastic.

I sold mine as soon as I finished building it.

Anyhow, what brands/kits does your local hobby store stock?...if thats where you are going to purchase.

Ever heard of HOP-UPS??? The reason why they dont include all the bearings, good shocks, steering linkage, etc. is because that stuff is EXPENSIVE. If they included it all, it would make the price of the car go way up. There are TONS of hop-ups for the TT01.....

I find that hop-ups are a better thing then just including everything in the kit because then you choose what you want to upgrade. If they included everything that you mentioned -- bearings($20) steering linkage($35) shocks($35) that would make the price of the car go up by nearly $90:eek: Thats nearly DOUBLE!!!

Anyway, I find that the stock parts are ok for general use......I wouldnt of bought a TT01 if all those were included.....

Just my $0.02:D

Metla
08-24-2007, 09:14 PM
You can't hop-up a TT-01 to be comparable to a TA05. Sorry. Nor is it cost effective to buy the kit and then purchase better parts.

adamzty
08-24-2007, 11:02 PM
What I am saying is that more people will buy the car if there are hop up options rather then all the best stuff included. It would be cheaper ot buy initially and the stock parts are just fine for some people.

Metla
08-24-2007, 11:20 PM
There is no doubt that the TT-01 is a popular kit and that people love them to bits.

Cheap,simple to build, tough as an ox, handle reasonably well, and due to 90 trillion hop-ups available they are able to be personalized.

youngage
08-25-2007, 01:26 AM
ok lol, still havent really answered the point, ta05 or tt01 or tt01R?

i wan highly upgradable and a very fast car, also very drift worthy

lol

also are ther just as many parts for the Ta05?
hugo

Metla
08-25-2007, 04:00 AM
The question has been answered, The ta05 is superior.

However, The TT-01 maybe more suited to a first times.

You can't really go to wrong, The TA-05 wont stand up to the abuse the TT-01 will, But the TA-05 will spank the TT-01 around a track.

Anyhow, Buy one, build it, run it, You will know far more about them after doing so.

youngage
08-25-2007, 04:03 AM
ok so if i roll the ta05 a few times and bash it and crash it i am bsically Fcuked over?

so i should stick to tt01's...

should i get the basic kit? or the tt01R? or tt01D?

also whats the first upgrade parts/ hop ups i should get for it?
after a few light inexpensive mods, what speed can the car reach? and how fast is it stock?

Metla
08-25-2007, 05:20 AM
Speed is dictated by the motor.

How it handles that speed is dictated by the car.

Of course, The skill of the driver can upset the apple cart.

Any car will go like a cut cat with a fast motor (provided you can gear it to suit), all cars are dead slow with the standard silver can motor.

The TT-01 will show its limitations very quickly with a fast motor....and will wear sooner.

Personally I wouldn't spend a cent upgrading a TT-01, I would buy a TA-05 instead.

If you bash any car hard enough you will kill it, They are after all made of plastic, But the Tamiya's are known for being robust.

youngage
08-25-2007, 05:30 AM
ok, so in other words you are saying i am better off with a TA05 because it worth upgrading, are ther any other specific models of other cars to reccomend or a certain TA05 model?

is the TA05 stock alot faster than the tt01 stock?

and what upgrades should i get for it? for more speed and drift and also traction?

youngage
08-25-2007, 05:36 AM
i am thinking maybe a TA05-R?

Metla
08-25-2007, 06:00 AM
ok, so in other words you are saying i am better off with a TA05 because it worth upgrading, are ther any other specific models of other cars to reccomend or a certain TA05 model?

is the TA05 stock alot faster than the tt01 stock?

and what upgrades should i get for it? for more speed and drift and also traction?

If they are both running the stock motor then its not a question of which is faster, Both will be equally as slow, Though the handling of the TA-05 may still be noticeably better.

I would recommend the TA05 because its a better package, Perfectly fine right out of the box. Though...for whats its worth I personally have the TA-05R.

as for your last questions, You cant have more traction and drift at the same time...

Anyhow, The TA05 has plenty of "traction" right out of the box.

For drifting, Bolt on some dedicated drifting wheels/tires.

For speed, Well, You can get a boatload of pace by bolting in a 19 Turn motor, Make it crazy fast by bolting in a 10T motor, or make it insane by bolting in a 3.5 Brushless system.

youngage
08-25-2007, 06:03 AM
how much do the 3.5 brushless systems usually cost?

would you reccomend me to get teh TA05 R?

and what other hops shoudl i get?

a new shaft?, alluminum shaft?

Metla
08-25-2007, 06:27 AM
The TA05 (R) is belt driven.

for brushless prices, consult your local hobby store and a couple of online store, tower hobbies, Amain, etc etc.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNLY4&P=ML

Bear in mind you will need quality batteries and a quality charger if you step up to brushless (meaning more cost) and you won't have a ****-show of controlling it. But hey, if speed is what you want.

youngage
08-25-2007, 10:08 AM
ok i have finally come to a conclusion.

which car has more parts and has more upgrade options?

youngage
08-25-2007, 10:16 AM
which ever one's upgrae option are more worth it and actually show performance gain i will get that kit

adamzty
08-25-2007, 12:23 PM
ok lol, still havent really answered the point, ta05 or tt01 or tt01R?

i wan highly upgradable and a very fast car, also very drift worthy

lol

also are ther just as many parts for the Ta05?
hugo

What do you consider very fast? top speed isnt very important in drifting/racing acceleration is far more important...

and what ever car you get...if you want to have a good drift setup and race setup its not possible because for good drifting you have to lock the rear diff so you would have to put a new diff in when you want to race...

adamzty
08-25-2007, 12:26 PM
and you know that if you buy a kit there is other stuff you have to buy to use it: Radio, Reciver, servos, batteries, charger, tools, etc...and that stuff will porbley cost ya more then the kit itself...

and no offence, but if you are new to this and this will be your first car, I dont think you should be running a $250 brushless on your first time... You should just stick with the stock stuff for a while until you can handle it very good, then you can start getting some high preformance parts...

youngage
08-25-2007, 12:30 PM
i have 600 to spend.

but can you reccmend anything good to me?

which one would i be better off with?

tt01r?
or
Ta05r?
or
some other car?

ok fine, any car can be fast if you upgrade it, but which one is the easiest one to get parts for?

adamzty
08-25-2007, 12:34 PM
Well, $600 is a lot to spend on a first car, but if you want to go for it:D I wont reccomend a kit because Metla has made it clear that I dont know much about them...

All I can tell ya is that you will need to buy Radio, Reciver, servos, batteries, charger, tools with your kit...

TT01 was my first on-road electric car tho and I love it!!

But im telling you...you are going to wreck if you have a 3.5 brushless on your first car...

youngage
08-25-2007, 04:06 PM
lol should i have a slightly upgraded motor? and what else if i get the tt01r?

also are there all carbon fibre parts for it? and alluminum ormetal?

adamzty
08-25-2007, 04:46 PM
There are quite a few aluminum parts for it. Look on ebay, there are aluminum a-arms, shocks, shaft, etc....The only carbon fiber part that I know of is the upper frame...

c2s
08-25-2007, 04:47 PM
One of you should give him a break down of costs what's needed etc.
Car $
Radio $
Batteries $
Charger $
Tools $
Spare parts $
so on.

adamzty
08-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Car $100-200
Radio (w/reciever) cheapo $60 good one $300
Batteries $150
Charger $50
Tools $50
Spare Parts $25

Those are estimates...you wouldnt need a great radio either.....

Ed237
08-25-2007, 05:32 PM
I have a TT01 and a TA05. I would recommend the TA05 over the TT01 for any situation except where there a lot of rocks. The TA05 kit comes with bearings included and has much better performance than the TT01.

If you want to get into racing, theTA05 has a lot more potential too (carpet or pavement!)

Costs:
kit- TA05 $160
Motor/ESC - Novak XBR 13.5 Sport $180
Battery - Orion 3200 lipo $90
Charger - Multiplex LN-5014 $75 (the best charger nobody knows about!)
Power Supply - $90
Radio/receiver/servo - Spektrum DX2.0 - $170

You will have a great start but it will cost you $765.

You can switch the Spektrum radio system for a Fatuba 2PL $70 and the lipo cell for a NiMH sport pack $50 and bring the total down to $625.

youngage
08-25-2007, 08:35 PM
yea not really looking to spend that much yet...

maybe drop out the motor first and whats the powersupply for?

also notee i am a beginner, this is my first car i am looking into a R version of the cars, also i am looking for lots of upgrade options. does the TA05 ave a lot? i know the TT01 does.

even if i get the TA05R i will not get the engine yet bc i know that it comes with a better than stock one and also parts are better too.

whats the ms version?

and since i am a beginner woulod building the TA05 be harder than building the TT01?

i have come up with a list that i need

car - TT01r or TA05r
radio/servo/reciever - stay within 200
battery - 70? any other good battery's?
charger - 75, i guess, how fast does it charge?
power supply - ?
tools - please list all tools, (files, knives, etc)
accesories - body, paint mask, spray paint

is that all i need?

adamzty
08-25-2007, 09:25 PM
power supply is to power the DC charger. Thats why you should get a DuraTrax Intellipeak AC/DC charger. I have had a good experience with DuraTrax chargers:D

Ed237
08-26-2007, 12:37 AM
The TA05 is simply has a better design and higher quality parts than a TT01 or even a TT01R. A TA05 performs more like a $250 car than a $150 car - its that good.

You dont need the 'R' version of anything if your just starting out.

The only upgrades you might want to consider are replacing the dogbones with universals and upgrading the plastic diffs to aluminum.

If your your on a budget:
kit- TA05 $160
Motor/ESC - Novak XBR 13.5 Sport $180
Battery - NiMh sport pack $50
Charger - Duratrax Pirahna Peak Charger $60 (Does not need power supply)
Radio - Fatuba 2PL $70

Total $520.

josh222
08-26-2007, 01:36 AM
The TA05R is over kill to start with, more of a hassle than anything when starting as you don't need all those adjustments and stiffer plastics(break easier) It also costs $260usd has no tires, body and electronics of any kind. I know everyone likes to go fast right away but you have never driven a hobby grade rc car have you? There is a huge difference between this and the stuff you find at walmart. I personally would recommend the basic TA05 and use the motor and esc it has to get used to driving it. It will still do about 40km/h which isn't bad to learn on.

ericem
08-26-2007, 02:08 AM
Thats a very good point. My friend bought a savage ONLY because the box said 60mph. i said don't always go full throttle take it "easy". First thing he does a speed run on hit street. Later get a phone call. Eric its all smashed up >.<

Metla
08-26-2007, 06:16 AM
I think some people just can't be told, and have to learn the lesson the hard way.

Hell, My brother insisted I put a hot motor in his car, Then the nub rang me tell me I stitched him up with a defective car, Seems he hit his kids swing set at full blast and tore it in half.

Didn't see the logic when I suggested he pick some where to drive it that didn't have a set of swings to avoid.

youngage
08-26-2007, 06:54 AM
i can always reuse the radios on other cars right?, i just move the reciever to the other car.? and can also buy new recievers as well?
ok so if i get the basic TA05 with the tin can engine or the upgrade engine it will go 40??also what Upgrades should i get for it first? and for batterys i want the best one (longest run time) , longest lasting one.and if i get the pirahna charger how long it take to charge a good battery?
and does the radio come with servo and recieevr?

also if i am going to get the basic TA05 kit i might as well get the ones with the bodies and all that too right? (would i be able to drift? and race? and get traction?)

what is the main purpose of a servo?

also i need a list of materials and tools, and accesories i will need for a build? please make a list please

thank you, hugo

youngage
08-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Thats a very good point. My friend bought a savage ONLY because the box said 60mph. i said don't always go full throttle take it "easy". First thing he does a speed run on hit street. Later get a phone call. Eric its all smashed up >.<

whats a savage? is it a car? and is it nitro?

c2s
08-26-2007, 10:54 AM
whats a savage? is it a car? and is it nitro?

It's a Monster truck that's ntro.

adamzty
08-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Servo - turns the weels and controls the throttle and brakes on nitro cars (ESC controls breaks and throttle on electric cars) Servos hook up to the reciever so when you turn the wheel on the radio it broadcasts a signal to the reciever and the reciever turns the servo.

Yes you can buy new recievers. Its good if you have a radio with like a 10 model memory so you dont have to set the trim and EPA and everything when you switch cars.

And please dont call it a engine, its a motor. Nitro is engines.

Most radios come with reciever and at least 1 servo.

You can set the battery charge rate. I would reccomend to charge your batteries at 1C then it will take a hour to charge, but if you charge at a higher rate it will shorten the life of your batteries.

adamzty
08-26-2007, 11:36 AM
tools - screw drivers, hex wrenches, hobby knifes, nut drivers, etc. and a dremel is REALLY handy :D

Batteries with a higher mAh rating will have longer run times then batteries with lower mAh ratings. For example - if you had a battery that was 2000 mAh, and a battery that was 4200 mAh, you would get about double the run time out of the 4200 mAh battery. The higher the mAh the more it costs tho.

ericem
08-26-2007, 12:00 PM
It does not do 60mph BTW!!!!!!!!!!

adamzty
08-26-2007, 12:13 PM
the savage?? lol, I have had 4 cars/trucks and none of them went over 60...

Speed dosent really matter, its mostly the design and durability of the truck.

I would get a truck that did 45 if it was better designed then a truck that did 60...

Not saying that the savage is bad, im just making a point...

youngage
08-26-2007, 03:36 PM
OK SO I WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITH THE TA05? OR TT01R?

CMON HELP ME OUT!!!LOL

srry for the caps

and if i get the basic TA05 it has alot more potential to be faster than the tt01?

and what TA05 kit you reccomend?

adamzty
08-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Did you read this thread??? looks like you would be better off with a TA05...

Dont know what kit...the main difference in the kits is the body...so get whatever you want...

youngage
08-26-2007, 04:41 PM
ok i have finally come to a conclusion:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58348
or
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58378

those are my 2 options also

what upgrade should i get for them? oil shocks? and what are dampers?

youngage
08-26-2007, 08:39 PM
also i am thinking about getting a mini micro car for my lil bro. which one is better a micro t or a mini z?

and requires same thing as a regualr kit?

adamzty
08-26-2007, 08:56 PM
dont order those direct from tamiya...you can get them a lot cheaper somewhere else like Tower Hobbies:D

adamzty
08-26-2007, 08:58 PM
and on that TT01, it says that its aimed at beginners (like you). You will need a body and ESC to go with that TT01 kit tho...

Dont know anything about micros...

youngage
08-26-2007, 11:20 PM
i know... but which one would you and others reccomend?

is the TA05 more capable of being alot faster than the tt01?

Ed237
08-27-2007, 12:27 AM
The base TA05 is still better than a TT01R. I would advise against the Ferrari body. The nose sticks way out beyond the faom bumper and tends to crack apart easy. I would recommend the Raybrig NSX version instead:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLKT6&P=7

I like my TT01. It's simple and fun. But its quality and durability are not even close to the TA05. And the TA05 will turn faster laps by far at any track.

youngage
08-27-2007, 12:47 AM
ok everyone, i have finally decided, and i will get the TA05, since it does have alot more potential for speed. also if i want to drift i just tighten the suspension so it slides?

also i was wondering if i should get my brother a mini-z or a micro-t...?

which one is faster stock and has more hop ups for it?

youngage
08-27-2007, 03:13 AM
Mods Close Please

Mods Close Please

Mods Close Please