PDA

View Full Version : looking for a small car for bro.

youngage
08-27-2007, 03:18 AM
hey all thanks for the help with choosing my first car.

now time for choosing the right car for my brother.

the micro-t?

or

the mini-z?

do they both come as a kit or rtr?

which one has more potential in speed, drift and all that.

which one has more hopups and parts for enhancing the performance and look?

Maxx-Damage
08-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Im not completly sure on the mini-z, but the micro-ts are decent. The aftermarket support from losi is already pretty good. They released aluminum parts last i knew. The m-t is rtr, u just need batteries. For its size its very fast like 10mph or so.

mdrevo
08-27-2007, 09:28 AM
i might be selling my micro-t

i have 19 bodies lipo packs and charger plus enough parts and chassi to build a complete roller..pm me your email address for pics

youngage
08-27-2007, 10:14 AM
ok still which car is better?

Maxx-Damage
08-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Id say micro-t. More ground clearance and its only $90.

youngage
08-27-2007, 11:43 AM
but i want style and more hop ups. still the micro t?

vaderbxman
08-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Oh yeah! hours of fun out of something that park on a CD, and it looks awesome for being so small. Go for it!

youngage
08-27-2007, 04:44 PM
...micro t or mini z?

B4 Stealth
08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
I think we have pretty clearly and unanimously answered your question......

MICRO-T!!!

:D:D

Ryan Lane
08-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I have owned a MiniZ and test driven a Micro T at my LHS. The mini Z is very realistic, has super long run times with a set of NiMh, has a lot of speed potential, and plenty of after market support. The Micro T is gaining after market support and really packs a wow factor when you see how small it is, yet still very capable. If you have a nice smooth high traction surface the Mini Z is a blast, but the Micro T can better adapt to less imperfect driving areas. I would go with the Micro T.

c2s
08-27-2007, 06:20 PM
But which one is best. lol

Metla
08-27-2007, 08:24 PM
They are both "best". Buy the one that suits.

As already stated the Miniz is fastest but needs a hard flat surface to run on, The Mirco-T is perfect for charging around the house and doing jumps.

Have a look for video's of each on Youtube.

youngage
08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
is the run time the same for both cars?

and basically the micro t is a basher...? and more sturdy?

lolall i am gonna do is drive it at the parkinglot sometimes and in and around the house, but mostly outdoors

Losi Stealth
08-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Outdoors? The Micro-T is designed for indoor stuff. Do you have a local hobby shop (lhs)? If you don't know where one is, find one. The Micro-T is only around 5 inches long, if that, I was surprised by how small it was in person. If you're looking to run in your driveway/dirtpile out back, the Mini-T or one of the Team Associated RC-18 series is probably more the scale you want (18th is good for that, 36th should be kept indoors).

#1 newb advice: go to your LHS, take a look at the cars. These cars aren't just toys, they go fast enough that there is always a chance something will break. They're precision instruments, so if they do break, you have to get parts somewhere. Make sure your LHS carries parts to fix it with! It stinks to have to wait a few days to a few weeks to get a part off of a website (I'm waiting for horizon to stock front arms for my XX-4, my LHS stopped carrying parts).

My suggestion: Mini-T, I've had one for a couple years now and mine's been fine. I've heard some have problems but I'd hope Losi's gotten the bugs out by now.

youngage
08-27-2007, 11:08 PM
lol i know lots of lhs in my area but there is one shop that focusses on just mini z's

should i try a mini z out ? can they drive on pavement?

Losi Stealth
08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
From what I've seen, Mini-Zs are carpet vehicles (let someone who actually has one let me know if they've tried to run on pavement). They're 24th scale, so they're still small, and usually have near nothing for ground clearance. My Micro-RS4 is 18th scale and I don't generally run it on pavement. If you're looking to run outside, you should be looking at something a little bigger, and probably with some suspension travel. The Mini-Z Overland or Monster might do what you want them to, but I don't have any experience with either of them.

Yet again, the best thing you can do is go to one and talk to the guys there and see if what they're selling matches what you want it for. If they're really trying to make a sale, they'll let you test drive something, but I'd suggest going at least 18th scale to go outside with: Mini-T (http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0200), RC-18 (http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/18t/18t_home.htm), a good Traxxas Rustler (http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/rustler2006/trx_rustler.htm) is generally a good place to start too, but it really doesn't go inside as its 1/10th scale, a bit bigger.

youngage
08-28-2007, 11:33 AM
would mini z's run weel on bushy carpets?

also basically my only choice for a mini car is the micro t

Ryan Lane
08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
The Mini Z would not work well on bushy carpet. As pointed out above it has almost no ground clearance. Besides, the loose fibers of the longer carpert would wind up on the axle and diff and cause binding. The Micro T is very small, good for medium carpet, paved surfaces, and very well groomed dirt. You wouldn't want rocks in the dirt. I agree with the others above, it sounds like an 18th scale vehicle is going to be better for your use.

Losi Stealth
08-28-2007, 11:52 AM
why do you want one that small? You've said you want to run outdoor, and neither of the cars you're looking at are suited to it.

josh222
08-28-2007, 11:56 AM
You would be better off getting a 1/18th scale

mdrevo
08-28-2007, 12:32 PM
here is my micro videohttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/mdjato/th_MOV00058.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/mdjato/?action=view&current=MOV00058.flv)

youngage
08-28-2007, 02:18 PM
ok...

Losi Stealth
08-28-2007, 08:51 PM
And the video includes a Cat for scale!

I guess its time to ask a new question.
1) Why did you come here with those specific cars in mind?
2) What are you trying to do? Please be specific in one post so we're not just assuming anything.

youngage
08-28-2007, 09:43 PM
1. i want a small car for my lil bro, but just in the strret or n a parkinglot.

2) play wit it in the parkinglot and stuff like thats.

i took a look at the mini-z today and WOW its expensive for a little car. it was like 160

i think i will get a micro t or mini t which is cheaper.

but how much run time will i get outta it? and can i change it to look like a car?

c2s
08-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Why not a buggy like a RC10b3?

mdrevo
08-28-2007, 09:54 PM
i think this thread is useless...everyone is saying micro-t...now your askin about a mini t...wow!!!!!!!!!!!1

stanmondz
08-28-2007, 10:18 PM
lets add the mini quake and the mini mauler

youngage
08-29-2007, 08:38 AM
OK

but can i turn any of those t's into looking like a car?

Losi Stealth
08-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Not really...

I don't think you're going to find exactly what you're looking for. There are some conflicts in your criteria:

1) Around $100 tops
2) Small
3) Looks like a car
4) Runs outside

The problem arises when you combine 2, 3, and 4. 2+3 mean that you're looking at something with very little ground clearance, so it really can't run outside because the surfaces aren't smooth enough to let the car run, hence criteria 4 cannot be met. Small On-Road cars won't clear pebbles, even the 1/18th scale Micro-RS4 (http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/601.html) or X-Ray M18 (http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/products/proddesc.php?prod_id=686&Xnet_Session=10c3cc45be49fa2c0d11c0c72304cd5a) don't do driveways very well.

You've also got another small problem with Criteria 1, this hobby isn't generally cheap. This is hobby grade material, so its designed to be repairable, and generally fast. The materials are usually top shelf stuff so they're going to cost you but its worth it.

I'm starting to suspect that you'd be happiest with a toy grade RC for the time being. Depending on your brother's age, he won't care exactly how fast it is, and generally it can be safer if its a little slow. Also, depending on his age, he won't be able to repair a hobby-grade RC. They do break and do require regular maintenance, so they're a bit of a responsibility. Toy Grade is designed to run maintenance free and are usually durable enough. They're also generally a little bigger for your dollar (the micro-t may be $100, but its tiny), so while it'll still be small, toy grade should conquer the driveway.

youngage
08-29-2007, 11:49 AM
okay i guess i will end up getting hime a TYCO RC then lol
thanks

Ryan Lane
08-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Losi is right on top of it. I would love to buy my six year old his own kit, but it would not end very well. Maybe at 8 or 9 he will be ready. Right now he is completely happy with his toy grade rc's. He likes to help me work on mine, but still understands he isn't ready to do it on his own. Heck, even my 19 month old wants to hold a screw driver and act like he is fixing something, but you have to take age, maturity, and mechanical ability into mind.

youngage
08-29-2007, 01:21 PM
yessir