PDA

View Full Version : car has been sitting for a while. what to do?

88Buckaroo88
08-31-2007, 04:35 PM
i'm fairly new to nitro rc so instead of buying a pro nitro car right out of the gate, i bought my cousins old one. he said its been sitting a while in his basement but he has had it started recently. before i go driving it and beating on it, what should i do to make sure its lubed properly. he didn't say if he put after run oil in it so should i do that first? what else should i lube? also when i bought it he gave me 4 cans of traxxas 20% nitro. i assume thats been sitting as long as the car so before i fill the car up, does nitro go bad? thanks in advance.

Ced RC
08-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Hard to say what the actual condition is without seeing it. I would recommend removing the cooling head and checking out the piston and sleeve condition. If the engine turns over freely good, but is there good compression? Also fuel can go bad if it's not sealed. If moisture contaminates the fuel it will give you problems.

88Buckaroo88
09-01-2007, 02:25 PM
The overall condition on the car is almost new. Its barely been used. Everything is supposed to function properly. Before I go driving it I just want to make sure it will be in good working order that way I can somewhat avoid some problems. The compression feels good when I pull it over. As far as the fuel goes, theres one can that has about a quarter left. I think I'm just going to ditch that can to make sure I start with good fuel.

Ced RC
09-01-2007, 03:24 PM
If the engine turns over freely and seems to have good compression I would try to run it. Good idea to ditch the mostly empty fuel, may have taken in some moisture. I would use a new glow plug for the first time starting it, make sure you have a clean freshly oiled air filter and give it a shot. And be sure to drop some after run oil in the glow plug hole and through the carb after running it. Good Luck!

Duster_360
09-01-2007, 03:38 PM
I would ditch the open fuel also. Take some of the other fuel and put a little in the tank and slosh it around then dump it, this should clean the tank of any residue you don't want going to the carb. Fuel evaporates and leaves the oil behind which can become gummy and plug the carb. I would also look closely at fuel lines and if they look like they've got fuel residue in them, I'd replace them. I buy fuel tubing by the roll and replace the lines any time there's any question about them.

I'd also put a few drops of ARO down glowplug hole and turn it over to get everything lubed. If the plug looks ok (check it on your igniter), I'd use it, just have a spare on hand in case you need it. I would expect it to start right up.

highroller
09-02-2007, 12:29 AM
If there are any doubts of the age and condition of fuel I would get rid of it. Purchase the smallest amount of fuel you can for a couple of tanks, something with high castor oil, low nitro content then run it a moderate throttle so engine gets lube back up. Run it a little on the rich side, then go with a normal fuel adjusting the setting for best results. Other areas to check are shocks (check rebound, oil level and leaks), tranny or diff and condition of tires.

balang_479
09-02-2007, 01:34 AM
As well as what everyone else said.. it would be a good idea to give the car a good blast with an air compressor, sitting there for a long time you have no idea what could have settled onto it...... then give it a complete spray with WD.-40 so lubes everything and gives it a bit of a dirt /dust protect and spray the excess off....

and welcome to the forum and RC... :wave: