PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Baja this week!!

SerpentCT4S
10-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I found a Baja locally and I've decided to buy it. I found it on Craigslist. The guy ran about 1/2 a tank through it. His wife got pissed he spent $1000 on it and she's making him sell it. He's selling it for $875 to me with everything it came with.

If anyone can give me some tips on the Baja that would be great! Are there any weak points that I should worry about? Any info on what you guys do to your Baja's will be great!!

viper7016
10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Enjoy!

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/index.php

rccardude04
10-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't know if it's an issue or not, but we had one where the dogbone fell apart in the outdrive. The upgrades are only a couple bucks more than the stockers and I have no idea why they don't just put them in there.
That HPI pipe also makes a pretty big difference, plus it sounds like a dirtbike and that's cool! :D
-Eric

broncobill
10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Viper gave you the best web site for the 5B.
If your Baja does not have the Outerwears filter on the pull start housing, get one.
If it has the stock muffler on it, and the long extension stinger on it, remove the stinger, and gut the muffler.
If you want to go with a "tuned" pipe, I recommend the DDM Dominator. I have the jetpro V3 on mine, and if I were to buy another pipe, it would be the Dominator.
Go to the Baja forum, it has all the info you need.

Check out this video I made. It's of a few guys from the Baja forum at Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2354938312304510091&hl=en

SerpentCT4S
10-10-2007, 08:06 AM
broncobill...the Baja has the stock muffler and the long pipe coming off of it. Someone else told me to remove this as well. What do you mean by "gut" the muffler? Take it apart and remove what's inside?

I just registered on the HPI Baja Forum, I'm going to take a look around there!

SerpentCT4S
10-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I just picked it up!

It's raining now and I have to go to work soon. I will take it out for a ride tomorrow though....can't wait!

IMADMAN
10-10-2007, 11:53 AM
The most cost effective power upgrade right now would be a Tuned pipe-DDM Dominator,HPI tune pipe,TGN race pipe,Jetpro, Meilike...... Don't get the Werks or the Samba. Congrats on the awesome find!!!!!!!!

broncobill
10-10-2007, 07:06 PM
broncobill...the Baja has the stock muffler and the long pipe coming off of it. Someone else told me to remove this as well. What do you mean by "gut" the muffler? Take it apart and remove what's inside?

I just registered on the HPI Baja Forum, I'm going to take a look around there!

Yes, remove the muffler and take out the baffle from inside. I used a screw driver and needle nose pliers.

Some say that when you do this, your engine can ingest sand/dirt in it.

One more thing. Check to make sure you do not have the yellow foams in your back tires. These will come apart and wreck your tires. If you do, get the black ones.