PDA

View Full Version : electrical computer ?energy hog or energy saver?

FESTER2004
10-10-2007, 12:51 AM
I have a open general ? for all to answer,

lets say you have a home desktop computer.what would more cost effective leaving it on all the time or constitly turning on and off???

i ask cause where i work ,we have like 300 computers in our school and my boss wants us to turnr them off and i say it doenst really matter energey wise?yes leaving them on is wasting energy but it really that extreme????

heres the kicker,due to union regualtions we are forbbin from touching the computers at all so ths make smy boss even angrier!

do you think a computer is that much of a energy hog?

i know mythbuster did a segment on lightbulbs and it came down to there really was no cost effectivness to turning off the lightbulb,you were better leaving it on unless you can turn it off in 1,00000s of a second and its impossible to do that!infact when you turn the bulb back on,you use more engery by turning it on!

so let me know what you think,thanks!:)

AKASHA
10-10-2007, 01:20 AM
i know mythbuster did a segment on lightbulbs and it came down to there really was no cost effectivness to turning off the lightbulb,you were better leaving it on unless you can turn it off in 1,00000s of a second and its impossible to do that!infact when you turn the bulb back on,you use more engery by turning it on!

IIRC their tests included 3 different types of light bulbs. two of which showed that leaving them on actually took more power then switching them off and on. Florescent bulbs needed more power to turn back on because of the need for charging the gases inside, thus if you were to leave the room for less than 45 seconds you are better to leave those types on. Any longer than that and you could save energy by switching them off.

As for your computer question, IMO I believe that the sheer time of being away from the computer would dictate if it in fact needs to be turned off or not. However, windows does offer a hibernation mode that aids in this battle. I know personally that if I am going to be away from my PC more than 30 minutes while it isn't doing something like ripping, decoding, downloading, there is no real reason to have it on. Otherwise it stays on all damn day lol.:D

XXWoodmanXX
10-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Today's computers contain 350-500w PSUs to provide power to all the peripherals and power-hungry CPUs. Yesterday's Celeron processor would only consume about 55w of power, vs today's Intel P4 775LGA chipset, using around 110-140w of power ALONE. Now, factor in HDDs, CDROMS, power-hungry VPU chipsets.......an idle computer can still consume around 200W of power. Note, I am not speaking about "Hibernation" mode.

It may be tedious, but it is much more efficient to power computers off if they're not being used for an extended period of time.

FESTER2004
10-10-2007, 01:56 PM
thank you very interesting!

NIdaho Mudder
10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Cool Instead of starting a fresh thread maybe someone can tell me.... My well is about 800 ft from the supply, Now they said to account for line droppage at that distance i had to up size the wire....so my question is would i use LESS power if the well was closer to the supply source?

trailranger
10-10-2007, 04:30 PM
FESTER I think you may have that mythbuster segement wrong. They concluded that no matter how effiecient the light bulb, turing it off as soon as you leave the room saves you money. The startup current was equal to leaving the light bulb on for a hundreths of a second longer. What they did point out and not test was the life of the bulb. Turing off and on the bulb may shorten the life.

As for computers, I always turn mine off for engergy reasons and hackers. I have a cable modem and the connection is always on. If my computer is on then malware and hackers can see my computer and access it. For engery sake, I have a 1000W PSU with dual SLI video cards, 3 Harddrives, 2 gigs of ram and several case fans. Leaving my computer on will cost me...

trailranger
10-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Cool Instead of starting a fresh thread maybe someone can tell me.... My well is about 800 ft from the supply, Now they said to account for line droppage at that distance i had to up size the wire....so my question is would i use LESS power if the well was closer to the supply source?

Yes you would use less power if you were closer to the transformer. I hope your well is 220V or the effect of voltage drop will be greater and the amp load greater too.

Not matter how pure the conductor, all conductors have resistance.( SUPER CONDUCTORS EXCLUDED)

adamzty
10-10-2007, 05:06 PM
What OS are they running on??? I know in linux you can broadcast a shutdown signal to lots of computers from a single server...

A monitor uses about as much power as a computer, so if you just shut the monitors off...but I assume you already do that...

Where I work, there are only 4 computers and one server, and they all get shut down every night...

marca
10-10-2007, 05:59 PM
well putting a computer on stand by can save a lot of electricity and to take it off stand by just move the mouse and your back in buisness

ericem
10-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Of course leaving them on is wasting energy!!! Each computer probably uses 300watts at 120v. Think about it. They are best to setup to computers so the harddrives go into standby when not in use meaning it shuts off the harddrive but computer is still running, but still resumes when a action is made, and so that the screen goes into standby. To save the most energy without having to boot but have quick access, just set all computers to go into standby as mensioned by marca after like 30 minutes of inactivity. I think the standby option is best. There is hibernation but I do not believe it can be set automatic. Going into standby after so many minutes is your best bet.

Duster_360
10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Can't believe no one else said anything until ericem about power profiles, you have access to a customizeable power profile (at least Win based PCs, don't know about others) in the control panel.

I leave at least one of my PCs on all day (if I'm home) and my power profile turns off HD, monitor, peripherals so the the only thing left running is the PS, CPU and the fan after 15min of no keyboard input. I work off and on all day and I am not going to turn it on and off 10-15 times a day even if it does save a little electricity. My time is worth more to me that that!

FESTER2004
10-11-2007, 12:42 AM
trailranger-yr right i think i mixed up the segment!
a few years back ,we had a brown out n it zapped my dell power supply that how i winded up on the HP i have now!i had to buy a new power supply to retreive all my data from the other compy!

AKASHA
10-11-2007, 12:51 AM
a few years back ,we had a brown out n it zapped my dell power supply that how i winded up on the HP i have now!i had to buy a new power supply to retreive all my data from the other compy!

I'll do ya one better, I have a transformer right outside my bedroom window here by the puter and routers. I don't know how or why the transformer wasn't hit but the telephone line was struck by lightning frying the 4 port dsl modem/router and only MY motherboards LAN circuitry. There were at the time 3 other puters and one wireless router hooked into that router, yet only my MB was shorted by the strike? Needless to say now everyone thinks I am crazy when I hear lightning in the distance and I start pulling power and telephone wires from the surge protectors.

FESTER2004
10-11-2007, 03:57 AM
Wow!

helotaxi
10-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Had a power supply get killed by a spike a few years ago (on a surge protector, too) it took the MB, vid card, sound card, CPU, mem, and both HDDs with it. The only component that was salvageable was the LAN card.

xfusion
10-11-2007, 02:13 PM
My computer uses about 245W idle, turning it off is WELL worth the power consumption savings. Also it's not good keeping the computer on, everything gets clogged up with dust and things will burn out sooner IMO. For my rig I have an 800w battery backup that supplies about 30mins backup power, protects against dirty power, surges and brown outs. It was $300, but well worth it.

guver
10-12-2007, 05:03 PM
How can you guys tell what the power usage is when idle? or when working for that matter?

I'm curious as to what mine uses, it is on all the time unless I do a restart or reboot and have to go to bed. I leave it off overnite, but mostly is on for weeks if not months.

ericem
10-12-2007, 07:03 PM
I believe you can get a adapter you plug into your cord for any device really and tells you the wattage being used.

guver
10-13-2007, 05:46 PM
I suppose that I could measure the current thru the AC cord? I was hoping for an easy "onboard" way since everyone seems to know right off the top of thier head. I don't have a clue what mine uses.

hijacker
10-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Ok, Ok, OK.

If a train leaves Denver at 8:17 am heading east at 43 mph and a taxi leaves New York City at 9:20 am heading west at 120 kph, what time will the train and taxi pass each other considering the taxi stops twice for gas, once in Detroit and again in Chicago spending 12 minutes at the first stop and 18 minutes at the second sto and the train has to slow to 21.5 mph for 1 hour before accelerating to 60 mph?

guver
10-13-2007, 07:24 PM
It depends on the acceleration rate of both and the decel rate.

rccardude04
10-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Assuming perfectly straight lines and infinite accelerations, 3:46:12.
-Eric