PDA

View Full Version : Mgt 8.0

buggz620
10-20-2007, 09:07 PM
OK hopefully this works. This is Team Associated's new truck there comming out with. Was on display at the Ihobby expo in Chicago.

skylineTT
10-20-2007, 11:24 PM
whats the engine size? 8.0? :P

buggz620
10-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Comes with a .50 engine and i believe it also comes with this radio thats what the AE lady told me anyhow.

ericem
10-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Do you know how much the truck will run for??

buggz620
10-20-2007, 11:48 PM
AE Rep at the booth said retail around 900.00 Tower Hobbies has it listed at 742.99. Hoping that it will come down.

ericem
10-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Me to. They have to look at competition like the LST2. It also has a good radio not as big of a motor but the LST2 has the advantage racing.

4wdmt
10-21-2007, 12:51 AM
So. The new 8.0 mgt will look like the mini mgt version. Btw buggz620. Were they also showing the mini?

Thanks for the pics.

ericem
10-21-2007, 01:00 AM
Not at all jsut the wheels and body. But the rest of the truck looks to be the same as the 4.60 just the spur support. Hopefully they improved the drivetrain.

buggz620
10-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Ya they was showing the Mini as well in the last picture in my first post you can see a red truck in the back ground that is the mini i didnt think to take any pictures of it.
When i went up to the table i asked the lady if this was the new truck expecting it to be the mini from the shell. She said ya this is the MGT 8.0. I was like what? Then i kinda lost intrest in the mini. Though i wish i would of taken a picture of them side by side.

metalry101
10-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Not going to lie, from what I can see in the pictures, this truck is just going to piss me off. I could be wrong...but it doesn't look like AE changed anything other than the looks and the engine. No diff upgrades, no 3-speed tranny, no nifty new features of any kind...just the same old truck w/ a big-ass new engine.

Don't get me wrong...I'll still buy one because I have an original MGT that I absolutely LOVE...but as usual, AE updates the truck w/o really updating anything that actually needs to be updated.

maddmatt02
10-21-2007, 04:52 AM
well, maybe i am glad not much changed, since itsthe same truck it cant be too hard to put the 8.0 inot the 4.6se chassis.

luvnitro
10-21-2007, 04:40 PM
I wonder if Associated will continue to offer the 4.60 also? Did they say when the MGT 8.0 would be available? In my opinion, this is way to big of an engine to put in a truck this size. What kind of performance are you going to get out of it? I think if they were going to increase the size of the engine, maybe .35-.40 at the most. I would love to see a video of this truck in action.

marca
10-21-2007, 05:38 PM
I wonder if Associated will continue to offer the 4.60 also? Did they say when the MGT 8.0 would be available? In my opinion, this is way to big of an engine to put in a truck this size. What kind of performance are you going to get out of it? I think if they were going to increase the size of the engine, maybe .35-.40 at the most. I would love to see a video of this truck in action.

well i dont know this for a fact but i think that the 4.60 will still be available same thing with the mini mgt. as for the performance i agree with you...to big of an engine wont get many rpms out of it and will have tons of torque but very little speed off the line

ericem
10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Looks like its geared MUCH higher.

buggz620
10-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Tower is showing it at 529.99 now.
Stock Number
LXTJR1

Tower's Low Price

ericem
10-22-2007, 11:01 PM
!!! YAY!! probably goin to be at like $380-420.

TPhalen
10-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Not going to lie, from what I can see in the pictures, this truck is just going to piss me off. I could be wrong...but it doesn't look like AE changed anything other than the looks and the engine. No diff upgrades, no 3-speed tranny, no nifty new features of any kind...just the same old truck w/ a big-ass new engine.

Well, you'd be wrong. Kinda hard to tell by just looking at it that anything has changed.

It does have a full center tranny upgrade, a .50 size engine, wheels, tires, body, wheelie bar/rear bumper (trust me, it NEEDS it), different gears including a spur gear support, the new XP3D radio system and some other key features.

This upgrade is really what our truck needed...it already handles great, it just needed more power.

metalry101
10-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Well, you'd be wrong. Kinda hard to tell by just looking at it that anything has changed.

It does have a full center tranny upgrade, a .50 size engine, wheels, tires, body, wheelie bar/rear bumper (trust me, it NEEDS it), different gears including a spur gear support, the new XP3D radio system and some other key features.

This upgrade is really what our truck needed...it already handles great, it just needed more power.
Ya...we'll see about these things. I like the look of the new tires..but the wheels aren't upgraded unless it's something hidden like a new, bigger hex, but with the same wheelnut and whatnot, I'm pretty confident those are the same wheels as always w/ the same 14mm hex as always. Not that I consider that to be a bad thing...

The tranny? Meh...I've never had problems w/ my tranny and I have the original .21 tranny w/ the plastic gears. I beat the hell out of the truck on throttle and the only thing I ever go through are diffs.

The rear bumper support does look better...like it might be flexible or something. That would definitely be a welcome change. Rigid bumpers are one of the dumbest features you can find on a monster truck.

The spur gear support is because of the new engine...and about that new engine...I'll remain skeptical until I see it go. Big engines in trucks have usually sucked in the past, and to be honest, I expect this one to as well, but I do have hope that it won't.

The biggest thing that sucks about the radical change in the engine is that it's now a pita to upgrade. Will a badass standard big block like an O.S. .30 bolt right in, or am I going to be forced to stick w/ the TT .50 and hope it revs in addition to making lots of torque. What if the stock engine is alright but the stock exhaust strangles the crap out of it? That's reasonable to expect given the first two generations of this truck. Hopefully the aftermarket responds, because I know AE won't being making any killer exhaust systems for it.

TPhalen
10-23-2007, 11:10 AM
The tires are softer and a more aggressive tread. They have great traction on both the asphalt and the dirt.

The tranny has all new gears inside...and all metal. You'll need that with this new engine...

...which, is VERY torquey! Running it out back, this thing pulls wheelies at will. It's pretty impressive, IMO.

The bumpers are a bit more flexible, the rear one being a little extended and a wheelie wheel is incorporated. We've been able to ride wheelies the entire length of our back lot. Good stuff.

Of course, being new, not sure what other engines will drop in, but why would you put a .30 in a truck that has a .50 in it? Unless, of course, it's some sort of racing engine. There have been talks of a performance exhaust but nothing finalized yet. I'm sure the aftermarket will take care of that right away.

QUAKE&SHAKE
10-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Hopefully the aftermarket responds, because I know AE won't being making any killer exhaust systems for it.

then

There have been talks of a performance exhaust but nothing finalized yet. I'm sure the aftermarket will take care of that right away.

LOL yeah pretty much sums that up.

metalry101
10-23-2007, 04:46 PM
^^^
I have hope...but not much. It's not like this is a new Traxxas vehicle that will get all the hype from the magazines and online, or even it's own company. This is an AE. They'll make some boring adds, send them to the mags, and ship the truck. It'll sell like the MGT always has...well enough to stay around, not well enough to be a premier truck. I think it has everything to be a top notch truck except the attention. AE neglects it for years at a time. Maybe that will change now that TT is taking more of a role in this country...I certainly hope so.

Like I said though...the MGT has never been that big of a seller, so the aftermarket is just meh for it. There is plenty of stuff available, but it's not like when a new Traxxas vehicle comes out and there's a huge rush to get your product out first so you can make your money before the market becomes flooded. A couple companies will make things for it...it just won't happen right off.

luvnitro
10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey TPhalen, are you with AE? You evidently have seen this truck run and perform. In your opinion, how does this new MGT 8.0 compare to the 4.60? Also how would you compare the .50 to the 4.60? Thanks.

mikemann1
10-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Can you say EK4? Thunder Tiger was behind that fiasco of a truck. It's sory of scary to think here were again with another TTR/AE .50 size monster Truck. At least the platform is much better than the EK4.

But yikes! That truck was the pits.

metalry101
10-24-2007, 01:26 AM
Can you say EK4? Thunder Tiger was behind that fiasco of a truck. It's sory of scary to think here were again with another TTR/AE .50 size monster Truck. At least the platform is much better than the EK4.

But yikes! That truck was the pits.
This is exactly why I'm worried. Like you say, the MGT, or MTA-4, however you'd like to look at it, is a far better platform...but a .50 powered truck is still a .50 powered truck, and all of the other trucks w/ engines that big have been big, big disappointments.

seanmanibog
10-24-2007, 04:24 AM
***. Pointless! Should have just came out with a pro version of the 4.60!

ericem
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I would hold your horses. Ill bet this truck will move pretty good. Probably revs lower and its geared alot higher(as you can see in the clutch spur pics) so I can see better fuel economy.

seanmanibog
10-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Im not dissing the truck, I think its cool, I mean heck, I want a MT with a .50 engine! I am just saying, it would have been alot cooler for a nice raced up pro version of the MGT. We need a race ready purpose built MT!!! Helllllloooooooooooo AE, LOSI, HPI, ANYONE

ericem
10-24-2007, 08:06 PM
HEELLLLLLLLLLLLO!!!!!!!!! LOSI LST2 sean!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUAKE&SHAKE
10-24-2007, 08:07 PM
TPhalen is with AE.
I see too he is a pretty good driver. I picked up a free X treme RC CARS mag and in it the results of the
'07 1/18 Scale Nationals

TPhalen placed
2nd in 4wd Stock-
2nd BL 4wd truck-
2nd BL 2wd truck-
2nd in 18R (whatever that is)
and
3rd Mod 4wd Truck.

I believe the MGT was designed from the beginning to use a .50 engine, there was an article in RCCA about it.